NH900 Death...

Rate this topic

Tamaritha

It seems a little silly to post something like this in a forum with discerning members exploring technical difficulties...but if anyone out there has experienced this kind of thing, I'd at least like to know what else I can try with it, and whether this is a common problem with Hi-MDs in general, or just this model, or I'm just a freak case.

To make a long story short, my Sony MZ-NH900 died. It worked last night, wasn't tampered with, and it won't work today.

To the technically minded, here's the long story...

Today, when I pressed play via the remote, I realised there was no beep reaching my ears (I keep the alerts turned on). What the, I thought, pressing play again, which, under normal conditions, would've made it pause, and give a series of beeps telling me it's paused.

I check the display. There's nothing on it. No "low battery", no indications it is playing. Nothing.

I turn around and walk back into my room, setting it on the charger, flicking the hold switch and pressing the stop/charge button. No indications of charging. No indications of its being turned on.

I tried plugging the charger into different outlets. Nothing.

I took off the charger (NH900 can charge both through dc and charger) and plugged the dc outlet directly into it. Nothing.

I took it off the output, and tried a Ni-MH rechargeable AA battery through the external battery case. Nothing.

I opened the battery slot for the gumstick battery, took it out and repeated the above process. Nothing.

Tried putting it in this way and that, though since it worked last night under same position, this was perhaps redundant. For the record, Nothing.

Set it back up on the charger, and connected via USB to the computer(running on XP). No display on the MD, no indication of there being a PC link, it's not turning on... nothing.

The computer can't recognize it, and according to the pop-up bubble, it's "malfunctioned".

Sonicstage (v3.3) can't find it at all.

Throughout all this, the NH900 is silent. No mechanical noise, no indication in any of the displays (main and remote), nothing.

I tried ejecting the disc (what good will that do) and tried putting in another. No mechanical noise, no spinning, no "low battery" or any other kind of indicator. Nothing, in short.

... This was about when I realised how utterly devastating the death of an MD can be. You can't eject the disc and put it in somewhere else. There aren't any particular functions which you could try to troubleshoot. You can't exactly open it up and look inside(without breaching that dreaded tightarse Sony warranty).

If I had at least tried to break the warranty, such as getting it wet or sent it tumbling down concrete stairways or attempting to crack into functions or letting it near magnets... I wouldn't be half as annoyed.

[in the meantime, the NH800 with a crack down its plastic section next to main display from falling down concrete stairways and a nasty scratch on its remote, and the battery case with a frosting of white from the time a faulty battery leaked, is working in pefect condition.

Which makes me more annoyed, because after several months of using it, I permanently lent it to my brother, who went and did all those things.]

It's only been two weeks since I got the MD - I've contacted minidisc australia for warranty, and am stil waiting for an approval email to send it back. In the meantime, it's going to be on my desk, looking like a fancy paperweight.

I liked my NH900. It had nice features. It got rid of that stupid radio the 800 had. It worked faultlessly... then it died. :(

... What should I do now? :mellow:

wow that sucks. Make sure you pester sony heaps and get as much out of it as possible, and also ask for a reason as to why it failed, not that i think they will bother answering you but what the hell...

although it's interesting that the PC says it's malfunctioned, if it were completley dead i would think the PC would not respond at all, similar to when nothing is plugged in to a USB cable.

Oh dear, I just bought a Nh-900 from minidisc.com.au a few weeks ago. I hope mine doesn't suffer the same fate. :( Let us know how minidisc.com.au or Sony handle the warranty side of things. If I were you, I'd demand a new unit rather than them repairing it. Since Sony Australia is getting rid of MD, I'm sure you can leverage for a new unit! :D

I bought a couple of NH900's from Minidisc Australia. One of them is perfect, the other had a strange button issue - pressing Stop would make the unit skip forward tracks, and pressing Stop when the unit was stopped would start it up again.

I emailed them and got a reply very quickly; their service is really, really excellent. I was able to send mine back, and they sent out a replacement. Unfortunately, that had the same problem but in a more minor way. It seems that this is a known fault in NH900's. I decided that I would handle this myself, so I have sent it to a local Sony repair centre. All I needed was a copy of the invoice from minidisc.com.au. It is currently being serviced and I'm waiting to hear progress reports.

~Archivist~

I bought a couple of NH900's from Minidisc Australia. One of them is perfect, the other had a strange button issue - pressing Stop would make the unit skip forward tracks, and pressing Stop when the unit was stopped would start it up again.

I emailed them and got a reply very quickly; their service is really, really excellent. I was able to send mine back, and they sent out a replacement. Unfortunately, that had the same problem but in a more minor way. It seems that this is a known fault in NH900's. I decided that I would handle this myself, so I have sent it to a local Sony repair centre. All I needed was a copy of the invoice from minidisc.com.au. It is currently being serviced and I'm waiting to hear progress reports.

~Archivist~

Can you bring broken Sony products to the Sony Store, or is it really not their problem?

ATELETRONICS... please ease up on the CAPS... on boards this is interpreted as shouting

I also had the NH900 button malfunctions, it really has nothing to do with a button being stuck, it happened with 3 different buttons on mine (stop, menu and ffw/rew)

... I still don't understand why it's dead. Glad to know that it's a freak incident though. Somewhat. I wonder if this is part of the reason for the MD price-flogging.

... I saw my brother this morning, with his permanently borrowed NH800. It bumped against the shoe cabinet three times while he changed shoes. The remote cable got caught on the door and he yanked it free...

and I remembered that the reason I got the NH900 was to get my mind off the way the NH800 was being treated lol, how ironic...

atrain: I am located in Sydney, Australia.

ateletronics: For the record, I've tried pressing all the buttons on the MD one by one, and they don't seem to be stuck.

Due to their appearance when depressed, I'd have noticed if they were stuck.

These sorts of things seem to turn up on a regular basis. Did you know that one of the most common causes of Sudden Death Syndrome for both Palm and Pocket PC PDAs has been static discharge from the computer when connecting the USB device? Zap! I wouldn't be surprised if some Net/Hi-MD portables out there met their untimely demise in a similar manner.

It hasn't happened to one of my toys yet, knock on wood. I make sure that the computer, myself, and my precious devices are well grounded before a USB connection is made.

Just a thought...

Edited by e1ghtyf1ve

"Make sure things are well grounded."

Silly question, but how do you do this?

No, it's my fault for not making myself clearer: While I hold the device (made of plastic or metal, no matter) in my hand, I briefly touch the metal case of the computer just before I make the USB connection. This way any high voltage static build-up gets discharged through the case to ground, and not through the CPU via the USB port. If the modern CPU 'brains' of your HiMD device gets zapped, it will be permanently destroyed. The device will seem completely dead because, well, it is, just like the poor NH900.

I have a habit of doing this when making any electrical signal connection, including S/PDIF. We were well taught back in the day... B) By the way, the inputs could be hardened better - consumer device manufacturers choose not to for some reason :lol:

Cheers

BTW, this is the first thread I've read about stuck buttons (or malfunctioning buttons) on this unit, so I guess I learned something.

try this one... :P as I said, I got the button malfunctions quite a while ago (almost 1 year now) and it was this that led me to MDCF as well

try this one... :P as I said, I got the button malfunctions quite a while ago (almost 1 year now) and it was this that led me to MDCF as well

That's very interesting, but I don't see what malfunctioning/stuck buttons have to do with a completely dead NH900. The HiMD units should wake up on disk insertion regardless, or? :D

That's very interesting, but I don't see what malfunctioning/stuck buttons have to do with a completely dead NH900. The HiMD units should wake up on disk insertion regardless, or? :D

actually e1ghtyf1ve, it has nothing to do with the original post... except that the original poster has bought the deceased NH900 from minidisc.au and was worried about their warranty policy:

I've contacted minidisc australia for warranty, and am stil waiting for an approval email to send it back

and in post #5 someone refered to the good warranty policy by minidisc.au when his NH900 had button malfunctions

on which atelectronics in post #7 commented that button malfunctions are often caused by stuck buttons

which led to my reply on the stuck buttons in post #8

which again led to the remark by tekdroid:

BTW, this is the first thread I've read about stuck buttons (or malfunctioning buttons) on this unit

to which I responded with a link to my old thread, just to prove that it is nothing new...

but you are actually completely right as this was a parallel (and pretty off-topic) discussion to the one about the unresponsive NH900... but the original question:

What should I do now? :mellow:

has actually been answered: contact Sefu at minidisc.au through the PM function here on MDCF and send the unit back under warranty as it is clearly defective

still, further speculation/clarification on the cause of death could be very interesting... so I'll keep following this thread...but I'll try and restrain myself from further comments on button malfunctions :P

Thanks for the link, btw. Actually thinking of buying a second unit, and now not so sure this model would be the right one. I saw a lot of praise for it in this-model-vs.-that-model threads, but never heard about the buttons before. Anyway, I despise having to return stuff. Thinking the MZ-NH700 might be a better choice, simply because I can't stand basic design faults (or the risk of design weaknesses with something as rudimentary as buttons, at least).

(now we return to the regularly-scheduled topic ;)

From what I have read and been told, the NH900 became unresponsive overnight as opposed to any static discharges. A friend killed a TV (at least) when he connected his laptop to it once so I know it's not trivial, though infrequent happening.

I've heard that she's been told to take it to a Sony store or something for them to look into it so I suppose the units are getting scarce for any exchange that you would expect for a unit dying within a month of purchase.

... another question from the outfield: has anyone every gotten a yellow version of the NH1 from minidisc.com.au? I'm thinking an upgrade upon settling cost differences is an option.

Actually, I've got the email back from minidisc telling me to take it to Sony...

They must be crazy. Do they think I would've contacted them if the nearest Sony repair store wasn't at a crazy distance?

Here are my options atm:

1. PM Sefu about details on sending it back etc, possibly haggle for an exchange to an NH1.

2. Take a 1 hr 15 min journey to Lane Cove or Miranda after a 1 hr 15 min phone call :blink:

I am a lazy bitch. I shall proceed to nag Sefu. :lol:

EDIT: And no, there was no option for static discharge, as the first metallic "object" the MD touched would have been the charge stand , and I tried out the charge stand AFTER I found the MD unresponsive.

Edited by Tamaritha

Most static discharges would have come from your own fingers - no metal needed. Since it's summertime in Sydney, it's indeed unlikely in your case. Most devices die from static during the winter months when you have heated dry interior air. It's just something to keep in mind for the future health of all your devices!

Cheers

Wouldn't I feel the discharge leaving my fingers though? :huh:

You can still zap something and not even feel it. I don't remember the exact figures but when you actually feel the zap your are discahrging something like 30,000( I looked it up and it is 1500) volts. You can create up to 12,000 volts by just walking across a rug. Remember volts don't kill you, amps do. Volts as low as 10V can kill electronics though.

Edited by KrazyIvan

:blink:

I only touch the MD via the remote - the last time I touched the MD the night before was via the remote, and the day after, I touched it via the remote to find it dead. Last time I checked, that remote had a plastic casing... I would've felt the leap if it indeed discharged, because it takes a certain amount of volts for static electricity to leap towards a possible discharge point.

Plus, static electricity doesn't make any sense because I didn't touch the MD till after I touched the small metal gate in front of my house... :mellow: