MiniDisc as a Data Storage Device?

Rate this topic:

62 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It appears as a disk drive on a Mac and a PC so you can copy data from both to it.

Personaly when I'm dashing out the door I couldn't wait the 10mins or so it takes data to copy to a MD. If I miss my traffic window by 5-10mins it can add 30-40mins to my commute. Used to drive me crazy when I used CD's for transport on the older 2x and 4x drives waiting for them. Now I just plug in my MP3 player copy my files in seconds, unplug and I'm gone. I have a encrypted section of the drive for data.

Posted · Report post

(minidix)

But people, aren't you curious if it works? It could translate in MDs twice larger (it's interesting for the old 80 min. minidiscs to hold the content of a CD) and twice faster)...

Have you ever tried compressing audio data ?

normaly the compress rate is 75-80% of the original -> less than 25 % smaler.

So you will never get double space (especialy wenn you have compressed data formats like mp3, jpg, etc. )

ps: hope my quote will work :unsure:

Posted · Report post

And it takes time to compress and uncompress the data.

Posted · Report post

And it takes time to compress and uncompress the data.

The CPU is so much faster than the HiMD recorder that the net speed gain is positive.

Posted · Report post

I suppose if its gonna take you 5-10mins uncompressing a few mb's isn't significant. Uncompressing 500mb has to increase the time. Anyway enough of this daft thread :)

Posted · Report post

I suppose if its gonna take you 5-10mins uncompressing a few mb's isn't significant. Uncompressing 500mb has to increase the time. Anyway enough of this daft thread :)

I wasn't talking about music (maybe mentioning CD instead of CD-ROM was the cause) I was talking about document files and software (which, being text, are compressed with an average ratio of 1:2). The compression as part of the OS is done in real time by the CPU, during the transfer, and the amount of data bits tranfered per second is exactly double. The 500Kb write speed of the MD is so slow (hundred of times slower then harddisks, and drivespace was designed for speeding the harddisks)that any method for speeding without giant efforts is welcomed. Maybe even the superspeedy USB 2.0 keychains could benefit from realtime compression (it's not sure, but for the turtle speed of the minidisc, it's 100% certain. The question was if the Hi-MD supported it well or not)

But it's another natural fenomenon happening here again and again (and that's why I was tracking the forums so many years without participating until now): when someone asks "hey guys, is it possible to do this or that with the minidisc?" (in my case, "Someone running win 98 or owning a Hi-MD, please try, if it works you'll be the first to take profit"), the answer is less often yes or no, but for sure "why doing that? I never do this, I allways ........!)" Maybe the format isn't doomed, and any idea meant to bypass its shotcomings deserves some consideration.

I don't think the newcomers or minidisc fans want to hear "it's stupid you even thought about that" (especially when it isn't). They will keep out if they are not so confident

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm not considering to use Hi-MD for data archiving (maybe for music archiving), only for transporting several megs of files between home and work, where there are more computers running Win 98 and Millenium than Win XP. ....But the speed is kinda important, also to make use of compresssion transparently, without the bother of using compression softwares...

Your req...

1) Music Archiving

2) Data Transport

3) Fast tansfers

For most people, there simply cheaper and faster and more convenient ways of doing what you're asking. Sweeping generalisation I know but I'm assuming that most users do not all transfer only small amounts of data. Since any transfer of more than a couple of megs takes an age, the difference compression makes will be insufficient for most people. Thats my opinion, having tried it.

If your afraid of differing views on the web, best not to post. :D

Edited by Sparky191

Posted · Report post

Did someone mentioned that plugging the Hi-MD device onto a MAC will cause a removable device to show up on a mac machine? I tried with my NH-MZ900 but it didn't work. My unit shows that it is connected to a player but my MAC shows nothing.

Posted · Report post

Just a thought...

I'd assume it only works if you have a disk in it, that formated in one of the HiMD formats. Probably a standard MD with SP wouldn't work.

Or perhaps your mac USB ports aren't supplying enough power.

Posted · Report post

Just a thought...

I'd assume it only works if you have a disk in it, that formated in one of the HiMD formats. Probably a standard MD with SP wouldn't work.

Or perhaps your mac USB ports aren't supplying enough power.

Was using a Hi-MD 1GB disc. I don't know about the power problem, but my friend was able to connect his Creative Zen with no problem.

Posted · Report post

2....Faster

Posted · Report post

Just think of Hi-MD as another MO device. A few years back, MO were extremely reliable and mostly used in the research/academic community.