MDCF's Database of MD Sightings Report

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are tons of MD being fatured in anime, since it's quite common anyway in Japan. :) In Gravitation, they use MD a lot. In NOIR, there'a an MD player during the ending song. Almost everytime a character is listening to a portable audio device in anime, it would probably be MD.

NOIR:

IPB Image

A more interesting cameo, the NW-E3 was featured in a Chinese movie, Skyline Cruiser, being used by Leon Lai.

IPB Image

one would think that the mds used in the matrix would be data mds, but they are clearly 74 minute music mds hope that clarifies

Well, maybe Neo already had HiMD, so he reformatted the older MD into new HiMD format, capable being used to store data. :D

Awesome stuff! I'll keep an eye out... It's just like seeing DDR penetrate the mainstream market (TV) a few years back (first time in King of the Hill when they go to Japan, then in Malcom in the Middle when Hal gets addicted lol).

I think the episode where the Hills went to Japan had a scene w/ a kid using a MD player (the one the girl daces with since Bobby flaked out).

• 2 weeks later...

Well, maybe Neo already had HiMD, so he reformatted the older MD into new HiMD format, capable being used to store data. :D

Intresting...

Well Atleast people who don't know what Hi-MD is will just put it into a minidisc player and won't know about the files! :)

But anyway was hi-md out when The matrix was realeased!

And are most of these films japanise?

I haven't heard of any of these besides the matrix!

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember very well but I'm quite sure I've seen a portable minidisc on a movie from early 90s . It was about a guy who went to the future to capture the bad guy from the film that was already in the future. There was a scene where the good guy got into an office and the bad guy was there sitting on a desk listening to a portable MD. Anyone remeber these?

I cannot remember what the show is called (trying!!) but there was a normal MD portable used to record evidence in a UK BBC TV fiction series. (It's the one where they have a few undercover people who investigate various allegations of police indiscretions and pretend to be part of the force to investigate), was on autumn last year). Sorry I can't remember show title, but was nice to see it on a primetime UK show!

Hey - you missed the other spot in "The Matrix" that has an MD in it (I don't have the movie, so no screenshot, sorry). When Tank, I believe, is loading up a program in the computer, he puts an MD into a tray, CD-style. Can anyone screen this for me?

Are you refering to the scene where Tank loads a "Combat Training" program for Neo? That is not a MD.

But in addition to this...for those of you who've seen Blade 3: when Blade is taken in by the undergroun dorganization that helps him take down the other vampires...did anyone notice a minidisc unit connected to one of the computers?? I'm not 100% sure of this, but it looks too much like a MD unit to just pass by! :D

I wonder how many other spots are out there?

peace

WaywardTraveller

But in addition to this...for those of you who've seen Blade 3: when Blade is taken in by the undergroun dorganization that helps him take down the other vampires...did anyone notice a minidisc unit connected to one of the computers?? I'm not 100% sure of this, but it looks too much like a MD unit to just pass by! :D

I wonder how many other spots are out there?

peace

WaywardTraveller

Thanks for the report. In the future, please search the forum - your post has been moved into our existing "MDCF’s Database of MD Sightings Report."

• 2 weeks later...

I can't remember very well but I'm quite sure I've seen a portable minidisc on a movie from early 90s . It was about a guy who went to the future to capture the bad guy from the film that was already in the future. There was a scene where the good guy got into an office and the bad guy was there sitting on a desk listening to a portable MD. Anyone remeber these?

Yes I remember this now but I don't have this god awful movie....which is Jean Claude-Van Damme's "Time Cop". IPB Image:lol::lol::lol::lol:

There are tons of MD being fatured in anime, since it's quite common anyway in Japan. :) In Gravitation, they use MD a lot. In NOIR, there'a an MD player during the ending song. Almost everytime a character is listening to a portable audio device in anime, it would probably be MD.

NOIR:

IPB Image

A more interesting cameo, the NW-E3 was featured in a Chinese movie, Skyline Cruiser, being used by Leon Lai.

IPB Image

It's been a while since I watched The Matrix, but I don't recall that we ever found out exactly what was on the MD he handed over at the door. I could be wrong though ? Could it be that it was music OR even talking ? Why must it have been data of some type other than music ?

And even if it was meant to be data, don't forget that he was in the MATRIX at this point, not out in so-called reality ? So I guess anything goes !

Also, since MD's look really COOL, the producers etc. may just have wanted that COOL factor to match all the black trenchcoats ! I mean who cares what the REAL function of the MD is in a movie like the MATRIX.

ALSO - I have seen a Sony MiniDisc deck in Stargate SG1. I know it's a TV show, not a movie, but there you are. I will find the screen pic eventually & paste it here.

I will start off with the infamous MD scene in the Matrix.

IPB Image

What is really interesting about this, is that though I remember the Matrix MD scenes I didn't really pay attention to what he had in the box there.

You see that TDK MD74 in the box there? Well what's interesting about this is that I have an MD with the Maxtrix Soundtrack on it, that is on an identical TDK MD74 disc like that! Not the one he holds up but the one in the box.

Now I didn't make this disc myself (I don't even have the Matrix Soundtrack anywhere other than this MD) but I got it *inside* one of the various MD units I purchased, used, off eBay.

Though I guess it isn't of interest to most people I find it quite interesting that someone recorded the Soundtrack on the same type of disc. I now wonder if this was done on purpose?!?!

PS: I'm surprised we don't have the images from Last Action Hero on here yet... That was, afterall the first [uS] appearance of MD on the big screen I believe. Those few minutes of that flick are pretty much an ad for MD. Also the movie had sound done in SDDS I believe ;)

What is really interesting about this, is that though I remember the Matrix MD scenes I didn't really pay attention to what he had in the box there.

You see that TDK MD74 in the box there? Well what's interesting about this is that I have an MD with the Maxtrix Soundtrack on it, that is on an identical TDK MD74 disc like that! Not the one he holds up but the one in the box.

Now I didn't make this disc myself (I don't even have the Matrix Soundtrack anywhere other than this MD) but I got it *inside* one of the various MD units I purchased, used, off eBay.

Though I guess it isn't of interest to most people I find it quite interesting that someone recorded the Soundtrack on the same type of disc. I now wonder if this was done on purpose?!?!

PS: I'm surprised we don't have the images from Last Action Hero on here yet... That was, afterall the first [uS] appearance of MD on the big screen I believe. Those few minutes of that flick are pretty much an ad for MD. Also the movie had sound done in SDDS I believe ;)

Haha, what an amazing coincidence .. or is it. :-)

Seemingly though, I had a emptied out "book" like the one in the Matrix, for storage use. hehe ..

Oh yeah and has anyone seen the video for Third Eye Blind's "Deep Inside of You"???

I have a video on my PC of this but the quality isn't good enough to tell. The chick on the rollerblades or whatever, she's listening to a small square portable audio device that is blue. I'm almost certain this is an MZ-E60, can anyone confirm this?

Edit: I apologise for some reason I thought she was on rollerblades, but she's just walking down the street, not rolling, lol...

It probably was done on purpose.

Oh yeah and has anyone seen the video for Third Eye Blind's "Deep Inside of You"???

I have a video on my PC of this but the quality isn't good enough to tell. The chick on the rollerblades or whatever, she's listening to a small square portable audio device that is blue. I'm almost certain this is an MZ-E60, can anyone confirm this?

Edit: I apologise for some reason I thought she was on rollerblades, but she's just walking down the street, not rolling, lol...

It looks like a CD player to me, take a look

EDIT: oopss!... Sorry, it isnt the girl on the roller skates, it is the walking girl :P

Edited by Tiesto

• 2 weeks later...

Also, there is a WonderSwan game unit!
Heh.. its good to see featuring the good old Wonder Swan unit, presuming that's the Color unit :P

Anyway, watched the PV Sambo Master - 世界はそれを愛と呼ぶんだぜ 「Sekai ha Sore wo Ai to Yobun da ze」 and man was I happy and surprised to this this at the start! :D

[attachmentid=1620]

It's got to be an MD since its in her chest pocket 「Bottom right of the image」 and the remote i think 「i think its MZ-N1 :unsure:」 is one of those 2nd Generation NetMDs?

post-8919-1146474731_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kaoru

• 5 weeks later...

Kirsten with a MD. ^_^ Thanks for these screen captures, yoda! ;)

Wow, and that movie is pretty recent. She's got to be holding something Hi-MD. It's kind of thick and she's looking at it like she's reading a display on its front. Edit: Silver RH(9)10 maybe? The plug doesn't look as if she's using a remote with it though. Great find, yoda.

Edited by jaylen

• 2 weeks later...

hey, where's my "md 'in the movies'" thread ? :P

nevermind, here's my contribution:

[attachmentid=1780] [attachmentid=1781]

it's a scan of "alita battle angel" issue 8 (german edition)

the md contains a message to alita by ido who is kind of a father figure to her. he has lost his mind after finding out his brain was replaced by a chip when he was 18 years old.

a manga worth reading anyways.

post-5025-1150500714_thumb.jpg

post-5025-1150501121_thumb.jpg

Edited by SlowMo

• 3 months later...