enduromon

Question

• Answers 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Seeing for the past 4 years of me importing Japanese Walkmans I’m well aware of this - and have been use to the Japanese SonicStage and Walkman menus for a while now - so this is no problem for me. lol
Yeah, I had a feeling you might understand Japanese. Point got through though, the rest of us are restricted to buying our player from another territory. I was originally hoping to buy it from my Ebay guy in Japan.

Why import it from Japan though? Is it just a matter of price?

Edit| Shanie´s Sony Style link has this written in the product description: "Direct internet connectivity via WiFi, YouTube streaming, Podcasts direct downloading and website browsing".

I guess there are many ways to browse a website, but that quote should mean the model will feature at least a basic browser. And that the journal du geek pic is what we´ll get.

Why import it from Japan though? Is it just a matter of price?

Its because they see the Sense to still have ATRAC on their players. While other regions have jumped onto a drag and drop system with mp3's. I wonder if they could combine the 2 systems. (Drag and drop + ATRAC support) Or is that too much of a coding nightmare?

new photos and info (in japanese) of the model in japan

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20090414_125314.html

red and black with photos of it in white as well. some vidoes are lower down on the page.

btw i'd rather get this colour

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs...ny1_22.jpg.html

and check this out specks and no specks

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs...ny1_13.jpg.html

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs...ny1_12.jpg.html

I want the non-speck one :/

K, I've been lurking around for a few months now waiting for this player and I have two observations.

1. I doubt it's going to be priced at $400 stateside, might even be priced cheaper than the Ipod Touch. That's because the Japanese version of a lot of gadgets tend to have more features, in this case the Japanese version of the x1000 has Dual Sonicstage+Drag and Drop and a TV-Tuner. Because in Japan Sony does a much better job marketing its goods and has a larger chunk of the native market, it doesn't have to price things as competitively. Sony's not stupid (Note I am not a Sony fanboy). It will price things competitively based on local prices.

2. All this complaining about the video resolution makes me wonder. 320x240 is QVGA, but the screen itself is actually WQVGA. If that's the case, are widescreen videos compressed into 320x240 on the screen, or are they bumped down to a lower resolution with 320 as the cap or are they actually displayed in full WQVGA? Because looking at the demo videos and the pics (a lot of which just came out tonight) it seems the x1000 can play widescreen videos that take up the entire screen. Maybe they only market it as 320x240 because they assume most videos will follow the 4:3 screen ratio, but in actuality it can use up the total pixel count so long as the video is encoded at 16:9 screen ratio. I suspect this is the case because looking through the lest of encodings there seems to be one that allows for WQVGA and uses all the pixels the screen has to offer. If that's the case, then the x1000 is no worse and no better than its competition in the market, because the P3, Ipod Touch, and S9 all use WQVGA.

Sony Japan left it late to announce it, and so near it's release. But I love the sexy ice black one, that will be the one I'll get... I knew Sony Japan would make different colors available for launch! :D I also love the Japanese case CKL-NWX1000 shown in the Japanese press release, much better than the one I said about that we are getting. :D

I agree the ice black looks great, but I don't see it being on sale in canada nor europe, which is a shame. I might wait a while after the release to see if the price drops or if sony decides to release firmware updates.
Can you use bluetooth headphones with this model, as with NWZA829KB?

Well,its normal for Sony to price there gadget like this ,as they are for only audiophiles and not for general masses .

In the UK, Sony has priced the new walkman in line with the ipod Touch. I don't know why Sony Australia thinks they can charge such a massive premium.

Question (for Shanie mostly): Do you think it will be possible to flash a Japanese bought X1060 with another firmware, to get the player to work in English?

It depends, I've not heard this has been done on the internet, I don't think even Sony will do it. But I guess, as with everything (like mobile phones) if you have the right techie knowledge to get the USB to recognize the ROM of the Walkman and have a copy of the ROM of the English X-series Walkman, it maybe possible.

I don't see the benefit of this as I think if you did do it and worked - the ROM would most likely tell the Walkman that it doesn't understand ATRAC, and would turn it into a drag-in-drop Walkman. I guess the only benefit is to have a different colour Walkman in English. But the Ice Black X-series has the built in TV-tuner as well, that would also be lost as the ROM is the one that talks to the hardware, I'm guessing without the right ROM the hardware won’t work so you will loose features of the Walkman, and end up paying a lot of money for nothing.

I'm getting too excited, I need to get and order my X-series! :D

http://katzho.blog.so-net.ne.jp/_images/bl...20082-1c093.jpg - This picture made me laugh, seeing the Apple Mac/iPhone/Touch wallpaper in the background. lol

And yeah, as always the box is very nicely done indeed, this always seems to be the case in Japan, when it comes to the US/EU box art… it's not normally quite as nice. lol

EDIT: I found these pictures of the front and back of the Ice Black X-series:

wx179.jpg

wx181.jpg

Sorry for late reply too and getting back to deleting that advertising crap on the boards - all done now though. :)

Regards, Shanie.

perhaps someone will sell the exteriors of the x series on ebay and people can then swap out the exteriors themselves.

Maybe... But then if you mean the main exterior shells and not a thing to go over it – If you do buy some, you will void your Sony warranty for one thing and secondly would be risky taking it apart without messing something up…Unless you’re good at that sort of thing. lol

Shanie, irritating I know, but is 29th May more or less correct for UK/Ireland release????????

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impatient now!!!!!

Still not got them in-store yet, odd as we normally get them before anyone else… I’m excited to get my hands on a final product version and try out that web browser!

I'm 98% sure it will be out in the UK by the end of this month, at least, via www.sonystyle.co.uk anyway, as we are still got the 'end-May' on them both. Sony Style doesn't normally give out persific dates on their product releases, it's always been "end, mid or early' and then the month and it's not normal for them to be wrong, although I’m not saying it doesn't happen as it has happened on one or two things in the past... lol.

I have this feeling they defiantly will be out by the end of this month anyway, I’ll kick myself if my feeling is wrong... lol!

Yeah... I just wish you would be able to change the language of the Japanese versions of these. Oh well...

Yeah I know the feeling; I would really want it too. I'm use to the Japanese menus for a long time now, but would make my life a lot easier and I’m sure a lot of others out there would also agree doing what I do just to keep my ATRAC/SonicStage library going for future Walkmans... It's odd as I use to import Japanese NWZ series even when English Walkmans where supporting ATRAC/SonicStage (because they normally make colours we don’t see made over here) but those ones had all other European language support on them so you could change the menu to most main languages of the world. I guess they stopped doing that as there was no need to translate seeing now that the American/European Walkmans are different hardware-wise as well now.

3 and 3/4 weeks to go 'till release… lol

Dabs.ie have updated the "Greater than four Weeks" status to ""Due in 3-4 weeks".

http://www.dabs.ie/products/sony-nwz-x1060...=sony%20walkman

Great, enough signals to convince me that is is actually coming in May; I'll buy one right away.

I have a question: at the moment, I enjoy my A808, with ATRAC. Going to this X1000 that means I'll have to rerip, and I think I'll start this week.

32 GB is more then enough for the music I want on it.

So I want to use the best lossy codec.

But what is it? MP3 at 320kbs CBR, or VBR or something else?

I could use some advice from people that already use the SOny nonATRAC-DAPs please.

As Juli pointed out somewhere, there is also room for a few uncompressed WAV/PCM albums (hey Juli, want to guess what double album will doubtlessly be uncompressed on my player? :D )

But what is it? MP3 at 320kbs CBR, or VBR or something else?

I could use some advice from people that already use the SOny nonATRAC-DAPs please.

Hey dura, I guess it depends on preference. With the A829 I had a mix of AAC at the highest bitrate and mp3 vbr -V 0 (also at the highest bitrate). Having changed daps a few times, I've settled for mp3 vbr -V 0 because it plays on everything, and WAV/PCM for all live albums, including T-H-E double CD of the year :)

Hey dura, I guess it depends on preference. With the A829 I had a mix of AAC at the highest bitrate and mp3 vbr -V 0 (also at the highest bitrate). Having changed daps a few times, I've settled for mp3 vbr -V 0 because it plays on everything, and WAV/PCM for all live albums, including T-H-E double CD of the year :)

Okay guys, I'm curious;what's THE double CD of the year??????????

Shall we tell him?

aargh, it goes on, everyone has one except for us: http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/04/sony-ol...x1050-hands-on/

I watched a video clip of it earlier, and it definitely only looks dandruffy on the sides. The screen looks beautiful, the Engadget guy said it was even better than the Cowon S9 screen (which I've never seen), but it sounds like a huge compliment. But we still know very little about the sound :huh:

Anthony, the CD is Leonard Cohen (who I didn't used to care for at all, but that's because I thought he only had one song lol!!!). Anyway, the guy's 74 and is on a world tour right now. The CD is from the concert and it's quite brilliant.

Guest Stuge

@dura:thanks for the link .

comparing cowon with Sony lol, Cowon surely looks better ,but all comes down to SQ ,that we are all concerned about .

Anthony, the CD is Leonard Cohen (who I didn't used to care for at all, but that's because I thought he only had one song lol!!!). Anyway, the guy's 74 and is on a world tour right now. The CD is from the concert and it's quite brilliant.

Exactly the same for me (except that I knew some LC-records from long ago).

I was never really a fan, and picked up the CD a month ago just because I wanted to buy something.

After listening through it for the first time, I was completely floored; I immediately ordered the concert-DVD, and ever since then I keep on listening to the CD, saw the -long- DVD over 5 times, and it has been on my DAP almost constantly.

One of the few conceerts I really regret having missed, but that'll be rectified soon :D .

Anyone know whether the X series supports on the go playlists? I hope so...ever since Sony went to Windows Media, you haven't been able to create a playlist on the device :huh:

I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly confident there'll be no 'on-the-fly' playlists. After SS was scrapped (outside Japan), loads of good things went with it, so I don't think this will be any different to the other non-SS models unfortunately.