No sound from MZ-707

Rate this topic

pawndriver

Hi, this is my first post and I'm a complete newb when it comes to MD. The problem I had with the MD MZ-707 Type R only happened a few days ago. When I put a disc in the track can be played and such, but theres no sound coming out! Everything shows up on the display menu but even when the volume has turned to maximum, theres no sound coming out from the unit! I'm pretty sure my warranty has expired by now since I did not buy extended ones but if someone could post a solution that could save me money from sending it to a repairman, then please help!

Thanks

Have you tried it with differnt headphones, or a different disc? How about an adapter cable to stereo? Sounds like you might have a dirty headphone jack. You could try a little vaseline on the jack and insert a few times, if that doen't work, try a decent service shop, thet should be able to get it going.

If it costs any more that 30 or 40 dollars it will be cheaper to ge a new unit like the NH600 or similar.

Good luck,

Bob

I guess I didnt specify that stuff on earlier post so sorry about that. The problem first started off when one day I was using PC speakers. The sound doesnt come out whether I used earphones or speakers but the Equalizer and display still come out and the track can still be played and can be stopped and stuff. This is the same even if I used different discs. Everything works fine except for the sound...so I'm pretty sure its not the problem with headphones. Btw the unit has been used for about 3 years now so could age be a problem with the unit?

I guess I didnt specify that stuff on earlier post so sorry about that. The problem first started off when one day I was using PC speakers. The sound doesnt come out whether I used earphones or speakers but the Equalizer and display still come out and the track can still be played and can be stopped and stuff. This is the same even if I used different discs. Everything works fine except for the sound...so I'm pretty sure its not the problem with headphones. Btw the unit has been used for about 3 years now so could age be a problem with the unit?

It probably could be any one of a number of things, but I would favour the fault being a broken printed circuit board trace, or even a "dry joint" on the headphone connector.

If you know someone who dabbles in electronics repair and who is prepared to disassemble the unit to have a look (a strong magnifying glass or a jewellers' loupe may be needed) they might be able to spot what the problem is.

The Sony MZ-N10 Service Manual is available on this site, which describes in some detail the disassembly of the unit.

Quite a challenge though, unless someone has had plenty of experience at this kind of repair.

You could alternatively buy another off EBay, though the N10 seems to attract quite good prices second-hand (as my sig suggests, it is a splendid little machine ...)

Best of luck!

It's probably close to worn out, My 707 doesn't record anymore, and randomly wipes discs ...

... that looks like the "classic" fractured ribbon cable problem doesn't it?

I wasn't aware that the N10 was prone to this, but as I do know that the N910 is, I guess therefore that they most must be :(

Bit off topic i appologise, but what are the main differences between the N10 and N910 Mr_Bass_Man? Thanks, matt

As far as I can see, (others have said this before so I make no claim to originality), the N910 seems to be more or less the same as the N10, but built to take a gumstick battery. When I get a few minutes I'll post some side-by side pictures.

The internal battery on the N10 needs a 6V charger (like the E10), whereas the N910 uses the same 3V charger as almost everything else.

Hope this answers your question

Where did the N10 come from in the first place? I thought he was talking about his N707... :(

D'oh!

You are quite right, I went off at a tangent there!!

However ... Here is the URL for the N707 service manual, and the comments about the possible root cause of the fault still apply!

Well, it's been a long day, and I'm not getting any younger :ok:

Side by side pics of the N10 vs N910 will (off-topically ...) appear in my gallery...

The N707 is a nice machine too, btw . . . :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr_Bass_Man

• 14 years later...

I have the same problem with an N707 (lack of sound from headphones). However, applying a little downward pressure on the headphone jack makes the connection and everything is fine. Leads me to think the fault as being a dry joint or cracked circuit board track - as has been suggested before in this thread. Taken the case off but everything inside is far too compact and small for my soldering abilities.

My solution - small plastic plate with precisely cut slot for the unit and room for a tiny wedge to apply just enough pressure on the multi-functional unit connector to make the connection, and then plug the headphones into the control unit.

Alternative to consider - short length of plastic ‘channel’ into which the unit slots (other side to connector) and an elastic band through a hole in the bottom of the channel, then looped over the headphone jack, pulling it down slightly.

Not pretty but it works.

Is this a common fault?

I have the exact same on a N505. I resoldered the headphone jack but it didn’t help. Pressing gently around the headphone amp chip on the PCB got back full operation so my fear is there is a broken joint somewhere in that circuitry rather than the jack itself. As you say it’s tiny surface mount stuff so no chance of getting even my finest soldering tip in there without blobbing lots of solder shorts all over the place!

So I’m intrigued if any of your ideas work...

Kevin