Winamp Plugin Returns!

Rate this topic

A440

Don't thank me, thank silly35.

He still had a copy of this on his computer.

Download this. Don't unzip. Just rename to remove the .zip extension and put it in your Winamp Plugins folder. .oma and .omg should show up in File Types under Options/Preferences.

http://forums.minidisc.org/downloads/details.php?file=65

Edited by kurisu

Thank You!!! Both of you!!!

:D

Just a quick note for anyone that is having trouble renaming:

If you can't see the "zip" file extension, you need to disable the option to "Hide extensions for known file types".

This can be done by opening any folder, going under "Tools/Options" from the menu and then clicking on the "View" tab. From there simply uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Edited by raintheory

This has been available for a while now, a google search even links back to MDCF..http://www.minidisc.org/atrac3.zip

I will add it to the Downloads section for better organization, though..thanks.

All Google turns up for me is people looking for in_atrac.dll and not finding it. Atrac.zip isn't the same. On my computer, at least, it doesn't do anything noticeable.

Wow!

Many thanks for this, this has now made atrac my codec of choice (LP2 specifically). My old 666mhz pc chokes with Sonicstage, but with winamp it is a beauty. Doesn't like the tags but I guess that is to be expected.

Which is a good "old version" of winamp? Would like some of the newer features but don't want corporate stuff or spyware...

Cheers

Pug

Pug, the smallest Winamps are the 2.x versions. You can probably still find them on www.winamp.com.

Even with the new ones, you can go to Options/Preferences/General Preferences and choose "Not connected to the Internet" and all outgoing communications stop. I don't think it's spyware--just a CDDB connection--but mine's off anyway.

Chris, your Google must be different from mine. Googling in_atrac.dll only showed the old posts of people not finding it. And if atrac.zip works for you, congratulations, but it didn't give me any Winamp plugin.

• 10 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
22 hours ago, sfbp said:

Do you mind me asking this: what's so great about Winamp that you can only use it? VLC will do most things these days........

Usage of RAM. 5 megs vs 30 when playing the same file in VLC.

No offence, but I can ask you the same question. Why are we using MiniDiscs, if we can use MP3s? :)

1 hour ago, useretail said:

Usage of RAM. 5 megs vs 30 when playing the same file in VLC.

No offence, but I can ask you the same question. Why are we using MiniDiscs, if we can use MP3s? :)

Not my call, just my thoughts.

5 MB vs. 30 on an OS with most likely min. 1GB system RAM anyhow will not make a big difference.

MD vs. mp3 -  we can debate the sound quality, but most probably ATRAC is better. At least many people can hear the difference. Probably more than those who can hear the difference between a CD and its MD copy.

You can hook up your favourite player to be a front end to ffmpeg if your concern is that you don't want all the codecs and baggage that goes with being able to process videos in VLC. Better still write your own, I did, though it's no use to anyone as the proprietors of QHiMDTransfer refused to accept that modification, and instead told me (literally) to fork off. Well, sorry, but I have better things to do than starting a brand new project and maintaining it. They apparently stopped development shortly after that, and you can infer what you like from that observation.

I think you'll find that the atrac plugin does/did NOT play HiMD formats, but only LP2 and LP4, if I recall correctly (I remember there was an ATRAC3.dll and it most definitely had this property). None of the players play AAL except Sonicstage and also Windows Media Player which uses the installed SS dll's.