Sony NW-E407L Review and Taking apart device.

Rate this topic

I purchased my Sony NW-E407L (Ocean Blue) on December 29 for $160 Canadian. When I first turned on the player, it looked amazing. The screen was absolutely beautiful. I experienced the same "wow" when I first turned on and used my PSP. Transferring music took quite a while, but the MP3 File Manager program made it very easy. I, at first, attempted to use SonicStage 3.3 to convert my music to ATRAC3 105kbps and transfer them onto my player. The software is a bit complicated to use for people who are non-computer savvy.

Positives

- Nice OLED display.

- Very easy to use.

- Long battery life.

- Looks nice.

- Something to show off to your friends.

- Nice and small (beats my old MP3 CD player in terms of transport and usage).

- Strongly built. I dropped the device while in the car and not one scratch (luckily). The thing doesn't feel cheaply made.

- 1GB of storage.

- Good sound quality.

Negatives

- Crappy/flimsy USB cover.

- Easy to get dirty. Screen prone to scratches.

- Not a big deal, but all the pics I saw of the 407L showed a REALLY sky/caribbean ocean colour (only reason why I chose this colour instead of silver), but rather, the colour was more of a dark/navy blue or a dark shade of violet.

- For the two buttons, Search/Menu, Display or Disp/FM for the 50x users, I find that I have to use some force when pressing either button. I noticed that they were too "in" to the glass/plastic covering. I had to use my fingernails to push them or more force if I were using my fingertip. I don't want to put too much force on my device especially on the front of the screen, the most important part.

- The headphones I got were decent, but when using the headphone extension, only sound came out of the right earbud (maybe I got a defective extension headphone cable???).

- Quality control is not that good. There were dried water droplet spots inside the casing. I had to remove my case and wipe them off. I'll detail later the removal process.

- Crappy pouch/case.

- Lack of accessories especially cases - I would like to protect my investment and hope to use it for a long time.

Pictures of the device:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Next, I will be talking about how I removed the annoying dried up water spots on my device.

When shone under light, you can easily see the dried up water spots. There were a lot. It was like someone coughed and left some remnants of their spray of saliva that dried up on the cover while installing it onto the device.

I used a screwdriver to remove the two screws and it was pretty simple. I then took off the cover, which required some minor force, but not much. You have to slide the cover off and then lift. I used a microfibre cloth that came with my PSP, dabbed a bit of water onto it, wiped the cover, and dried it off. I then slid it back on and put the two screws back. It was very easy to do.

Here are some pictures of the removal process:

The stuff I used. Microfibre cloth, two screwdrivers, small box to cover the device from dust while it's open.

11.jpg

Plastic casing that had the dried up water droplets.

9.jpg

NW-E407L w/o the clear/plastic covering.

10.jpg

Edited by katakonik

It Certainly looks very nice in blue! I have a black one.

About the group function on the shuttle switch, i think yours may be defective, as on mine it does change to the next group. Which way are you flicking it? a downward flick is back a groupand therefore should take tyou back to the first track of the current group unless you give it a double flick. An upward flick however should go straight to the next group. If tyhis is not the case then i would suggest getting exchanged.

There definetely seems to be something wrong with your earbuds, again i'd recommend exchanging it, moreso if you are not planning on upgrading from the stock buds, (Which are actually pretty good for stocks!)

About the group function on the shuttle switch, i think yours may be defective, as on mine it does change to the next group. Which way are you flicking it? a downward flick is back a groupand therefore should take tyou back to the first track of the current group unless you give it a double flick. An upward flick however should go straight to the next group. If tyhis is not the case then i would suggest getting exchanged.

Hmm, after playing around with the device a bit, I think it's user error on my part. I didn't choose Search/Menu Button > Group > All Group. With that done, it now goes to the next folder/group I made. Thanks.

For the earbuds, I'm not going to really bother with it, since I already had nice earbuds from my old CD player, which does the job nicely. One question though, when you insert the Sony headphones into the extension cable, does it go all the way in? Mine just goes halfway and forcing it in does nothing.

For your black player, is your text white instead of blue?

• 2 weeks later...