A440

Affordable Mics for the Whole World

Rate this topic

46 posts in this topic

all info is here (it's still in German, but it's pretty straightforward)

he takes paypall and if you mail him with further enquiries on the email-address you can find on that site I'm sure he'll provide further info as well

Low volta, your link leads me to a sex-contact page :lol2::vampire:

:D

Regards

Edited by dogville

ah yes, I see... that post still has the old link :blush: and greenmachine's old address is now indeed not connected to mics in any way :lol:

try the address greenmachine provided a couple of posts earlier (http://www.geocities.com/greenmachine_audio/)

PS: I'll edit the old post so I won't provide these gansters with more potential 'customers' anymore

Maybe this is a stupid question but there's one thing i don't understand about these mics; how do you use them when you're recording? Do you just hold them in your hand or do you lay them on a table or something? They look like small earphones and i can't imagine how any one could use something so slack? Since i've been listening to the samples i know they sure can be used, and that they sound very good but could someone tell me exactly how you use them?! I don't really have any big experience when it comes to mics, but e.g. i've used the MS907 and that i certainly can understand how you hold it when you're recording :-)

hi fanimej... indeed as they are shown here they require quite some imagination to become really usable mics.

Here's a few things I did:

- attached some small clips to them (the smallest electronic gator-clips I could find) using a second layer of heat shrink tube

- I (temporarily) mount them in croakies (a fabric retainer/protector for eye-glasses) just follow the 'stealth setup' link in my signature and you'll understand what I'm talking about

- I've mounted a pair in a small (3cm h/ 4cm w) cardboard pyramid so it can be easily used for conferences/interviews etc.

- I've used a 'helping hand' for electronics and model toys (you know the thing with two arms with gator clips and a magnifying glass) and attached a fabric covered disc onto the magnifying glass to create a stereo separator

... so what's the lesson? Experiment, share your findings and use what works best for you (playback over headphones requires a different setup than playback over speakers,...)

... and most of all, have fun doing so... it is all part of the game :lol:

So basically you have to build your own construction to be able to use these mics? Perhaps that's fun but to me it just sounds complicated :) Well well, i guess i should buy some recorder first of all, and then start to search for good mics! (I've only tried the MS907 and that didn't impressed me)

Edited by fanimej

So basically you have to build your own construction to be able to use these mics?

Professional electronics stores sell lavalier microphone clips. You'd have to see what's available where you live, and test what fits the mics.

I use these Sennheiser MZQ2EW with my old Sound Professionals BMC-2, and they're a tight fit around the thinner end of the mic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...oughType=search

I don't know if Greenmachine's mics are fatter--or cylindrical rather than tapered--but there are other clips around, too. I use these clips--Audio-Technica AT8420--with my Church Audio mics by putting the wire under the holder and then twisting a wire (a trash-bag tie, actually) around the mic to hold it in. They should hold just about any small mic.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

Edited by A440

sorry to bring back an old thread. I was just wondering what it would cost to import a green machine mic to the US. I am looking for a mic to record some live music. Most of the recording I will do will be open mic stuff, and small/large jazz ensembles, and maybe a wind ensemble or two. I appreciate it!

You should send greenmachine a PM through the board.

Hi,

I own a Sony ECM-MS907 mic to make music recordinds of mostly Jazz acoustic music (piano + doublebass + drums). I would like to get better quality recordings and I'm thinking of buying a new microphone (stereo) or a pair of mono microphones. Then, I found this forum and the GreenMachine mics :)

How do these microphones from GreeMachine compare to the Sony ECM-MS907? Will I get better recordings?

Thanks you.

You will get much fuller bass with Greenmachine's mics. Frequency response is 20-20,000 Hz with GM mics, 100-15,000 Hz with the Sony. The low A on the piano is 27.5 Hz, so with the Sony you are losing the lowest octaves of the music.

The Sony is a directional mic. It shuts out noise behind it. Greenmachine's mics are omnidirectional. So if you are recording in a noisy place, the Sony might be more practical. But omni mics are more realistic.

The Sony is a directional mic. It shuts out noise behind it. Greenmachine's mics are omnidirectional. So if you are recording in a noisy place, the Sony might be more practical. But omni mics are more realisti

Thanks for your reply!

Another question: I'm thinking of recording a jazz trio (piano + doublebass + drums), like I said to make a CD. The problem I have when I use the Sony mic is that the instruments seam to be far away. If a put the mic near the instruments I get distortion... I was thinking of using my Sony mic (while I don't buy a pair of Greenmachine mics...) to capture the "ambience" of the room, but maybe use extra three mics (directional mono mics, maybe) to record the instruments near and to get more detail. Is there some kind of directional mic you could recommend me, at the same price range? Or is it possible to build one, like it is explained at http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11254.

Thank you!

Edited by Ametade

Thanks for your reply!

Another question: I'm thinking of recording a jazz trio (piano + doublebass + drums), like I said to make a CD. The problem I have when I use the Sony mic is that the instruments seam to be far away. If a put the mic near the instruments I get distortion... I was thinking of using my Sony mic (while I don't buy a pair of Greenmachine mics...) to capture the "ambience" of the room, but maybe use extra three mics (directional mono mics, maybe) to record the instruments near and to get more detail. Is there some kind of directional mic you could recommend me, at the same price range? Or is it possible to build one, like it is explained at http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11254.

Thank you!

Sorry. Ignore or delete this post.

Edited by Ametade

Been away for awhile but is Green still making stero Mics ??? Does anyone know how much and how to get to his web site .

Thanks