Defying Expectations, Third Generation Hi-MD Unit Surfaces?

Christopher

THIS NEW UNIT DOESNT SEEM LIKE WHAT EVERYONE WANTS. WHO DESIGNS FOR SONY? WHO ARE THEY DOING MARKET RESEARCH ON?

I would like, and i think most would like a player recorder with:

DIGITAL IN AND OUT

ALL ALUMINUM CASE

VERY FUNCTIONAL REMOTE

CONTROL OF RECORDING LEVELS

ETC.... WE ALL KNOW WHAT WOULD BE PERFECT.

WHY DO THEY CONTINUE TO MAKE MACHINES THAT ARE ALWAYS "ALMOST" WHAT WE WANTED.?

this is why they are gonna be pushed to the side by I-Pod's. unfortunately.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THIS NEW UNIT DOESNT SEEM LIKE WHAT EVERYONE WANTS...I would like, and i think most would like a player recorder with:

DIGITAL IN AND OUT...

ALL ALUMINUM CASE...

CONTROL OF RECORDING LEVELS

Wow, you joined very recently! Well, if no one else has, I would like to be the first to welcome you to the forums. Also, there is no need to shout here we are all just minidisc fans just like you.

HI-MD does both USB in and out as well as digital/optical in. We do not know yet, but maybe the new model will be a full “aluminum case“ However, let me remind you that the NH1 did better than that! It was made out of a stronger material than aluminum. I think there is some control over recording levels and modes with HI-MD.

I tend to think that the new unit is a compromise between the NH1 camp and the RH10 camp. I think people who loved the NH1 did not like the RH10 and vice versa. However, the new model seems to bring in the best of the NH1 and the RH10. You can’t please everyone right? But this new model looks like a nice compromise between the two pervious HI-MD models.

For ten people there are ten different points of view,

Mikami

haha...just to show how opinions can differ: I personally hate proprietary Li-Ion batteries enough to make me forget about getting an RH1 if it used these type of batteries
Having used both Li-Ion and NiMH rechargeables I don´t understand why you´d want to use NiHM typer batteries over Li-Ion ones, but please tell me. The pronounced memory effect on NiMH batteries makes them unpractical for day to day usage when you would soemtimes need to charge the unit even though the battery wasn´t empty. The USB-connection is a part of the problem since you have to remove the battery every time you connect the unit to a PC, otherwise the (often half-charged) battery will automatically be charged - straining the battery. This doesn´t seem to be the case with other portable players that use Li-ion batteries.

Wow, you joined very recently! Well, if no one else has, I would like to be the first to welcome you to the forums.

Mikami

Thanks.

I didnt mean to SHOUT. i'm new to this posting stuff. but its very exciting to find so many people that care about the advances in MD technology.

So....the NH-1 does seem like the best unit that has been made except:

It only has headphone/line out. not optical.

I have not found anything in print that says it funtions with a MAC

this NEW unit does look very interesting. but i wonder how i ever will know how it works. I see on here that lots of people own many different recorders. And they all had to buy them to see how they worked, and find out the limitations. It seems you need 3 or 4 different units to do everything you want to do because of the diverse features. I cant afford that. Im still using an old unit but have used it less and less because it is such a pain to get the tracks on to my MAC.

SO...it would be great if this new unit pleases a majority of MD fans, and i hope it is actually usefull enough to finally convince me to upgrade. I'll try not to complain anymore on this topic.

Having used both Li-Ion and NiMH rechargeables I don´t understand why you´d want to use NiHM typer batteries over Li-Ion ones, but please tell me.

the memory-effect of NiMH is much less than NiCad's so it isn't too bad... further more a few full cylces and it is gone again. If you have two gumstick batteries and switch when (nearly) empty, drain and charge while using the other you even avoid the memory effect completely and have a spare handy...but Li-Ion batteries:

- have shorter life spans (even when not used, so no use getting a spare right away)

- are proprietary (you need to get this exact one from Sony, no matter how expensive) and could become 'extinct'

- are not compatible with external AA add-ons (important for those long recordings!)

So....the NH-1 does seem like the best unit that has been made except:

It only has headphone/line out. not optical.

I have not found anything in print that says it funtions with a MAC

- whether the NH1 is the best yet depends on who you talk to...for me the NH900 and RH10 are both better.

- (of the portables) only the first Sony MD ever had optical out... don't see why it's such a thing now that that's missing...it hasn't stopped everyone here from buying the older models

- it clearly says NO mac compatibility, only the MZ-M10/100 have (limited) mac compat. (and as far as the specs are known, the RH1 will as well) I use a mac too, but hey, at least there now is some sort of mac comp. (on top of the 'old way' of realtime) so that's more than before...and if you read the specs carefully before buying anyone could have known that the other models DON'T play nice with mac (never blame a company for your own carelessness in reading the fine print/requirements)

this NEW unit does look very interesting. but i wonder how i ever will know how it works.
well, have you checked these forums? It's a very decent source on each existing model, the specs, the bugs, the ways to overcome them and even the possible hacks...so once this new RH1-model is out there, it will only be a matter of (a little) time before this forum has pics/reviews/buglists/...

hope to see you around...be sure to check the rest of the forums, there's a whole lot of info here!

the memory-effect of NiMH is much less than NiCad's so it isn't too bad... further more a few full cylces and it is gone again.
I´m not very happy with the battery that came with my RH10 (it´s the only one I have). I´ve tried to use it so that I only charge it when the battery is empty or nearly empty. Someone on this forum even suggested completely discharging the battery once in awhile and I´ve done this best to my ability (discharging until not even the screen will light up). But even though I´ve tried to use the unit (the battery) properly I´m already experiencing issues. When I start charging the unit it only charges for maybe 15 minutes, then stops - without having a full charge. After this I have to put the unit back onto the stand and have it continue the recharging in order to have a full (?) battery. Really annoying.

This should possibly have gone in to a separate thread - I´ve been meaning to ask about this for awhile.

One of you veteran users should really write a guide on how to properly use and charge your unit in order to avoid battery-issues.

I'm pretty sure that's a problem with the charging circuitry of your unit. I have a unit like that too that doesn't detect it very well, but i tried charching the battery with an external charger and it greatly extended the autonomy of my battery. It's not a problem with the battery itself. I have one battery that's four years old and i can still get half it's original life. Which i find is still pretty decent, considering that it's four years old.

I was <<this close>> to ordering an RH10 from etronics.com for nearly free today using some AMEX points, but it seems the RH10 is unavailable from them at the moment.

Sooo, I guess I can wait a little bit longer for the MZ-RH1 to hit the shelves, and hope that etronics stocks it.

Hey unusablesignal,

I 2nd everything "The Low Volta" told you. If you want to upgrade I think the new unit coming out will be the thing to get esp since it is said to be able to work with both IBM PC's and Apples. However, if what you have works for you and gets the job done then there is no need to upgrade. Don't fix what is not broke. Anyway, I am gald to virtally meet you on the forums.

See you later,

Mikami

Omigod, I'm so happy, my pre-order is in!

I've just got an RH10 and was thinking about getting another one, since I live in Germany but my band is in Spain (long story), so I thought I'd check here first for news of the new generation. I couldn't believe it when I saw the picture of that beauty! Great news about keeping the manual record level setting and being able to record at the highest ATRAC3+ bitrate, my only two complains about the RH10 so far. Watch this space for a review as soon as it arrives.

Carlos

hey MZ-1 that pic is:

- in a way too big a resolution for posting in a forum

- old, it's been featured in the very first post of this thread

- fake... there are new pics from the official press release of Sony that clearly show this was a preproduction mockup with several faults

@ tnargsemaj

that is a question for the atraclife sisterforum (all non-MD related sony stuff is) and even if it was something for this forum... this would definitely NOT be the thread to post such a question... please look around a bit before you post stuff

@ MZ-1: I have edited your post. Please do not include any image larger than 800x600 (using img code) in a forum post; rather include a link or attachment.

@ tnargsemaj: I have deleted your post as it has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Please forward your query to our sister forum ATRACLife as outlined by The Low Volta.