HD Digital Amp

Rate this topic

This thread helped me out a lot:

what's up with digital amps?

There are actually two types of digital amps when you look upon Sony digital amp units, and they are the HD digital amp and digital amp. The difference is very important.

Newer Sony units like the MZ-RH10, MZ-RH910, MZ-E10, MZ-N920 have a different digital amp than the HD inclination, and it's just dubbed "digital amp". This is mostly in the power-consumption sense, and carry NO benefits towards the sound.

The only Sony HD digital amp units are found within the Hi-MD range, and they are: MZ-DH10P, MZ-NH1, MZ-NH900, the download-only unit MZ-NH3D, and the player-only unit MZ-EH1.

The Sony HD digital amp [ala E720, NH1, and so on] is similiar to digital amps found in newer generation Sharp [Auvi - DS8/DS70/DR7/DR80, etc] and Kenwood players/recorders [s33, S55, S77, S9NET, etc]. Units with these amps are essentially the pinnacle of portable MD sound, and are so detailed and natural sounding I would think it's nearly impossible for words to really describe how it sounds to someone who has never heard one before.

Regular digital amps [ala N920, E10, ST500, and so on] do have an advantage over units that carry an analog one, but it's mostly in the sense of power consumption. The sound advantage isn't really there, but it's better than nothing at all, I suppose. More or less a gimmick in my mind, as the differences aren't really that apparent.

So, is a unit with a HD digital amp [or a newer-generation Sharp or Kenwood] worth it? If you're already a connoisseur of ATRAC audio then this will definitely open your eyes quite a bit. The soundstage is much more defined, and each instrument in whatever song [or genre] you're listening to is so clearly articulated it leaves you breathless at times..

Ooops. I forgot to make a note that the quote isn't mine but from the post of kurisu.

I also noticed a difference, but then again, I came from using an N505 for years.

Edited by jaylen

This thread helped me out a lot:

what's up with digital amps?

"Newer Sony units like the MZ-RH10, MZ-RH910, MZ-E10, MZ-N920 have a different digital amp than the HD inclination, and it's just dubbed "digital amp". This is mostly in the power-consumption sense, and carry NO benefits towards the sound."

Are you saying that the "Digital Amp" in the RH10 is equivalent to the HD Digital Amp in the NH-900? Or that the HD Digital Amp is superior to the amp in the RH10, and that the value of the amp in the RH10 is mainly one of lower power consumption vs. an older analog amp.

I have a 900 and it is by far the best sounding audio device I have ever owned. Unfortunately, it will no longer play off battery (doesn't matter what battery) and am considering getting another unit, but I want it to sound as good. If the 2nd Gen HiMD units don't sound as good, I'll go for one of the Japanese market units (MZ-E9H30 - http://www.audiocubes.com/category/Home,+P...sc_Player.html)

Thanks in advance.

Never mind. That was a stupid question in retrospect. "NO benefit towards the sound" means it doesn't sound as good as the HD amp.

Edited by mmp64

Thanks A440, missed that in my search. Seems to have no real benefit to the sound, just battery life.

The standard digital amp adds no real benifit to the sound.

The HD amp is different - it alters the charcter of the sound. The main difference to my ears is a substantially lower sound floor. (ie no hiss).