New Details Emerge About MZ-RH1

Christopher

Just as quickly as it was announced, MDcenter.nl has obtained a MZ-RH1 prototype unit and has come across some amazing new features that were previously unknown. Transfer speeds are faster, mp3 playback is fixed (numerous users in the forum have reported in the past that it was poor), ability to remember auto/manual recording level even if the unit is off or discs are swapped, and more. A few movies and pictures are also found within the above link. Check it out!+++

Read more here: http://www.mdcenter.nl/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2084

a) Data transfer speed: when transferring a 135 MB file to the RH10 and RH1 the RH1 took about 136 seconds and the RH10 277. Conclusion: transferring data via Windows explorer is about 2x faster than with a 2nd generation Hi-MD.

B ) Tested playback of mp3 vs. ATRAC3plus: I tested several music tracks in ATRAC3plus and mp3 format (both 256 kbps) and I could not hear any difference between them. The difference with the RH10 was clearly audibly. Conclusion: the "crippled" mp3 playback of the 2nd generation Hi-MD's is fixed (as far as my ears can judge):

c) the date-stamp/clock function is indeed back!

d) the RH1 remembers live-recording settings. E.g. when you change the recording level from AGC to manual it will remember it even after changing discs or turning the walkman off. The only time when the settings are lost is when removing/disconnecting the Li-ION battery.

e) during a recording you can adjust the mic-sensitivity and recording-level on the fly without interrupting recording.

f) line out function is available but the volume is still not so loud as the line-out of an MD-deck (but it is alright according to line-signal specifications).

g) first Hi-MD with Li-ION that is charged via USB. The USB cable and connecter are also used to connect the MD to the power-adapter (so no separate DC-in)

h) doesn't support 3-line remote of MZ-NH1 (only 1 line used.

i) touching the casing it seems to be magnesium.

j) the EU version will get the same accessoires/features as the JP model (only a volume-restriction in the EU because of stupid laws but that is only an issue until someone gets it's hands on the Service-manual).

k) releasedate in the EU: 3th week of may.

l) MAC-software will have more functions that we already know from the M10/M100.

m) besides recording-settings it even remembers the last display-mode you used.

n) disc/track/artist info only appears on the remote.

Crumbs.

A real development would be dedicated buttons. For EQ and Menu access.

The "Display" is there though...

And of course no dial, it's sony strategy as usual...

Edited by Shion

It won't support that nice 3-line remote? By the gods Sony, what the heck is wrong with you folks? This recorder should come STANDARD with that remote. It seems that we are one again taking a step forward, only to take another back. /sigh

Also, it is Mac (as in Macintosh), not MAC (as in MAC address).

Edited by lamewing

I would realy like to see SONY make a professional fieldrecording version with quiet preamp and phantom power. I used the RH10 for my fieldwork last summer and got spectacular results with my RODE NT4 mic. But the lack of a jog button on this new unit is a backward step as far as I'm concerned. Lets hope the format doesn't die just as it is begining to realize its potential.

I'm not going to gripe about what this thing have. I'm just glad that Sony is keeping this medium alive. Yes there will be short comings but so what. All I care about is that I can revive my existing minidisc again....I just wish that this is available already so that I can stop dreaming of what this thing can do and not do...Please Sony release this already....I beg you please.... :blink:

I will add this.

The Jap website is listing the 3 line 40ELK remote as an extra accessory so it may be that the RH1 will not support it with the europe model, changing the region setting on the unit will allow it to work. The RH10 was exactly the same, in europe it only supported 1 line, change the setting on the unit and it supported all 3 lines and partly removed the volume restriction.

It's nice, but I'd prefer to be able to read/write the author and track title information on the unit instead of only on the remote. IMHO this is far more important than various ways of looking at levels in the different display modes. Hopefully Sony will add the Track name display mode to the prototype.

I will add this.

The Jap website is listing the 3 line 40ELK remote as an extra accessory so it may be that the RH1 will not support it with the europe model, changing the region setting on the unit will allow it to work. The RH10 was exactly the same, in europe it only supported 1 line, change the setting on the unit and it supported all 3 lines and partly removed the volume restriction.

No sure why they do this . again LOL SONY :P

Awesome stuff! Just what a shame about the it's remote dependance and lack of DCin. Seams it has the same drawbacks as the NH1 plus one more... lack of three-line remote.

Lack of DC-in? You get a AC-adapter but just like with some HDD-walkmans from Sony you connect it not to a separate DC-in but to the USB-connector. This means the RH1 can FULLY charge it's battery via USB (but also via the supplied AC-adapter)

What's it going to take to get a black one? An order directly from Japan?

Paul

It depends where you live. If you're in Europe then it should be the black (and only the black model) that is available anyway. The US hasn't been confirmed yet I don't think.

This is a very nice unit, but i would be very much like to see SHARP coming up with a real audiophile HI-MD. they really care 4 us fans. anybody has some info about any SHARP Plans?

Didn't Sharp stop making MD units a while back?

Lion (not 'The Lion' ;) )

Nope, the AC-adapter goes into the USB-connector (just like with some Sony HDD walkmans). This also means full charging of the batter via USB possible.

Am I experiencing deja-vu or didn't you just answer this question in the same thread earlier today :P

I think people's attention span is becoming very short lately - or we are all so excited we keep asking the same questions over and over again :wacko:

So someone please tell me again before I forget

Is the RM-MC40ELK compatible

Where can I find a black RH1?

Can I upload Net MD tracks made with Sonic Stage?

What no DC-in?

Am I experiencing deja-vu or didn't you just answer this question in the same thread earlier today :P

I think people's attention span is becoming very short lately - or we are all so excited we keep asking the same questions over and over again :wacko:

So someone please tell me again before I forget

Is the RM-MC40ELK compatible

Where can I find a black RH1?

Can I upload Net MD tracks made with Sonic Stage?

What no DC-in?

:D;) about 4 posts earlier.

Edited by MDfreak

MDFreak, Have you noticed if the RH1 has an estimated battery life indicator in the display menus anywhere like the NH1 did? ie. 4 hours remaining. The blinking battery indicator is misleading sometimes. The freight train that is the RH1 announcement thread trampled my question. :D

MDFreak, Have you noticed if the RH1 has an estimated battery life indicator in the display menus anywhere like the NH1 did? ie. 4 hours remaining. The blinking battery indicator is misleading sometimes. The freight train that is the RH1 announcement thread trampled my question. :D

Indeego also asked me that but I could not find that option in the RH1.

Even though I have no real use for this feature, it's still great. It should definitely help sales of this unit and the format in general.

There are a lot of people begging for this feature now for many years so finally their prayers have been heard!

(they all want to archive their old MD-recordings e.g. on audio-CD)

I think I'm reading that the 3rd generation HI-MD does MP3 better, is that correct? My concern is live recording to PCM Wav files. If that is no better, and how could it be, then I'll save myself $300.00 and stay with my RH-10.

Edited by cfellows

I never thought I'd see the day. I'm so emotional. . I have countless discs I've kept in a box of gigs my blues band has done, recorded on my old MZ-N1 that I know I'll want to reminiss over when I'm an old man, but always in the corner of my mind has been the nagging little voice going "throw them out. You know you aren't gonna have a working minidisc player when your 60". But now I can update the archive to the next media (not really imagining I'll have to put up with hard drives or cd's in 30 years time) on their journey. I'M SO HAPPY I'll part with the cash in a flash

mdfreak,

can you give some details about SP downloading (to PC)?

Do you have to make the disc unprotected?

And if yes, will SS add info to the disc when downloaded or even erase it? -> will it be possible to download a MD more than once?

thanks!

mdfreak,

can you give some details about SP downloading (to PC)?

Do you have to make the disc unprotected?

And if yes, will SS add info to the disc when downloaded or even erase it? -> will it be possible to download a MD more than once?

thanks!

You can upload even when the discs are write-protected so no risc of loosing recordings in any way. So because you can upload a write-protected disc NOTHING will change. You can also upload the recordings unlimited times and the uploaded recordings have NO DRM-restrictions (unlimited WAV-conversion, ATRAC-CD burning, audio-CD-burning, playback and so on).

And to answer the next question: when uploading 1 recording separated in more than one track (so divided by trackmarks) there are NO hickups in the transistion between the tracks when playing in SS or when putting the WAV-files together again as 1 file. This is true for all types of recordings (SP, LP2 and LP4).

So the only restrictions on uploading will be on material that has been downloaded from a Net MD? Does it allow this material to be uploaded at all but retained within Sonic Stage or just prevents uploading full stop?

So the only restrictions on uploading will be on material that has been downloaded from a Net MD? Does it allow this material to be uploaded at all but retained within Sonic Stage or just prevents uploading full stop?

It does not upload NetMD stuff at all. When trying to upload such a recording you just get an errormessage.

Are more 3rd generation units going to come out? If I was going to get into minidisc again, I'd only get a 'downloader' unit..

Downloader-only????

GET BEHIND ME SATAN!

Actually, I think a few more units are in order, including an el-cheapo such as silverblade has requested.

It only makes sense.

Edited by genghisbunny