New Details Emerge About MZ-RH1

Christopher

Downloader-only????

GET BEHIND ME SATAN!

Actually, I think a few more units are in order, including an el-cheapo such as silverblade has requested.

It only makes sense.

I'm there there are others like me that don't have a need for recording. I personally like the idea of switching discs (I was born in 1984, I'm used to making mix-tapes and mix-CD's of my favorites). I don't see a point in carrying ALL of my music with me. Plus, the ability to replace the music on the go is a nice feature. Flash-based memory is expensive compared to Hi-MD media.

I'm there there are others like me that don't have a need for recording. I personally like the idea of switching discs (I was born in 1984, I'm used to making mix-tapes and mix-CD's of my favorites). I don't see a point in carrying ALL of my music with me. Plus, the ability to replace the music on the go is a nice feature. Flash-based memory is expensive compared to Hi-MD media.

Sorry SilverBlade, no offence intended ;)

I love my RH10, and if my wife wasn't a bassist/pianist and a lot of my friends weren't musicians I'd probably look at a non-recorder myself. What originally attracted me to the medium was the recording quality.

It was later on that I discovered the joys of skip-free playback and easy creation of "mix discs". Minidisc then became my favourite playback format.

Sorry SilverBlade, no offence intended ;)

I love my RH10, and if my wife wasn't a bassist/pianist and a lot of my friends weren't musicians I'd probably look at a non-recorder myself. What originally attracted me to the medium was the recording quality.

It was later on that I discovered the joys of skip-free playback and easy creation of "mix discs". Minidisc then became my favourite playback format.

I love making 'mix discs'... It forces one to pick and choose their favorite songs. Spending near 500 dollars for the convienence of carrying all of your music is insane to me.

"Well, a Personal CD player can do that"

Physically, they are TOO big, plus, if you get tired of one song..you have to format the whole disc..lame. Minidisc is perfect size. Most flash-players are almost -too- small for me. And I'd hate to be tied to 1 gig of music on my player, I like to switch songs and not have to use a computer for that.

I'd love to see an mp3 player come out which uses *cheap* re-recordable media like minidisc that one can switch at will. If not, I guess I'll wait for the RH-1..or the 'downloader' version of it.

I personally have the first-generation Hi-MD player/recorder that came with the AM/FM remote and an NW-HD5.(The NW-HD5 was sent out for repair because audio was only coming through the left headphone when the headphones were fully inserted into the jack.) When I had both in my possession, I used both fairly frequently. If I am walking without my messenger bag, I am likelier to take my NW-HD5 in order to save space. As a journalist, however, I am still very much attached to minidisc, which I use to record all my interviews and the events I cover. (I want to get a new, affordable mic, though. Any suggestions?0 Crazy as I am about the FM tuner feature, I must confess I rarely use it. When I want richer bass, I play my Mini Disc player. It's louder, has richer bass, has a fuller sound in general, and the surround presets are better. So, for me, I can see the "insane" obsession with having an HDD unit. My NW-HD5, thanks to Ebay, cost me just $215. NOT "$500." No one wants to wear a toolbelt every day. While the MD player is only thick relative to MP3 players and HDD players, carrying 5 discs in your pocket is a bit much. All depends on the day. My NW-HD5 sounds 100% better than an Ipod; and since I like to keep my entire SonicStage library in ATRAC, I can add a hell of a lot more music on it than on an Ipod. I am nearing 5,000 songs already. I'd need to switch to a higher-capacity Ipod if I were daft enough to do Mac products. Both products satisfy me.

If it charges / runs through a standard USB connector, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to hack up a USB connector attached to some kind of battery pack...

Already working on that one. Did a "proof of concept" about 2 weeks ago. More details and plans probably within a week.

You can upload even when the discs are write-protected so no risc of loosing recordings in any way.

Just a question about this feature: I would like to know how to perform it. I tried myself and it did not work. When simply trying to upload optical-in tracks from an Hi-MD with the write-protection tab set, the software (SS 3.4) complained that the media was not writable.

Just a question about this feature: I would like to know how to perform it. I tried myself and it did not work. When simply trying to upload optical-in tracks from an Hi-MD with the write-protection tab set, the software (SS 3.4) complained that the media was not writable.

Are you using the version of 3.4 that came with the RH1 (build 3.4.02.14020) or just the usual 3.4 available on the internet?

Are you using the version of 3.4 that came with the RH1 (build 3.4.02.14020) or just the usual 3.4 available on the internet?

I am using exactly the SoniStage software that came on a CD with my (Japanese) MZ-RH1. I Installed it completely over a previously existing SS 3.2, chosing the "overseas Japanese model" option.

I am running Windows 98 second edition, and there is no way I will update the OS on this computer. If somebody successfully uploaded tracks from a write-protected disk, I will gladly try to reproduce exactly its configuration (except, as I said, for the OS).

Edited by storm shadow

I am using exactly the SoniStage software that came on a CD with my (Japanese) MZ-RH1. I Installed it completely over a previously existing SS 3.2, chosing the "overseas Japanese model" option.

I am running Windows 98 second edition, and there is no way I will update the OS on this computer. If somebody successfully uploaded tracks from a write-protected disk, I will gladly try to reproduce exactly its configuration (except, as I said, for the OS).

Uploading from a writeprotected disc works only when uploading old MD-recordings. Uploading a write-protected Hi-MD-disc is NOT possible (don't ask me why).

Uploading from a writeprotected disc works only when uploading old MD-recordings. Uploading a write-protected Hi-MD-disc is NOT possible (don't ask me why).

Why?

No, just kidding...

Thank you all for your help - I will be trying more RH1 stuff within the next days - I'll report interesting results on the forums.

Yes, probably some old DRM checking stuff that is no longer relevant. They should fixed that for a future release, as I got one HiMD that became corrupted (unreadable) due to an upload failure. But at least I fell safer for my 100+ legacy MDs recordings that are waiting for a digital upload.

It is confirmed that the MZ RH1 will be in stock tommorow in the shop where I work, Brussels, Belgium, so it should be available in all Europe at the same time or pretty soon....

One is already reserved for me !!!

Ysl

You know I was just thinking. For the sake of the RH1 being a professional recording solution, why didn't they implement any kind of "time-machine" recording on the unit?

'Cos professionals start the recording early.

Actually, I'm semi serious - esp with Hi-SP, you've got so much recording time available that starting early is no big deal.

Having said that - yes, it would have been nice, especially as the little chap has so many other standard features gatherered together.

This is a very nice unit, but i would be very much like to see SHARP coming up with a real audiophile HI-MD. they really care 4 us fans. anybody has some info about any SHARP Plans?

I am wondering if anyone knows, from what's been announced about the Mac-compatible software for uploading SP mic-recordings, if the software would work w/ other USB-capable MD units? Like, say, Sharp IM-DR80? I know it's not out yet but educated guesses would be appreciated. thanks.

I am wondering if anyone knows, from what's been announced about the Mac-compatible software for uploading SP mic-recordings, if the software would work w/ other USB-capable MD units? Like, say, Sharp IM-DR80? I know it's not out yet but educated guesses would be appreciated. thanks.

You are messing up two things: upload of old SP recordings and MAC compatibility.

As for uploading old recordings: that works ONLY with the RH1 because it is prepared for that (also tested that with the RH1 software and a RH10 and that did not work.

As for MAC compatibility: it is NOT said that the upload of old recordings is available in the MAC-software. For now we only know that the MAC-software will upload Hi-MD recordings and will download WAV & mp3.

• 1 month later...

(((( By the gods Sony, what the heck is wrong with you folks? This recorder should come STANDARD with that remote. It seems that we are one again taking a step forward, only to take another back))))

Hey, don't take away SONY's chance at a follow-up recorder, you can't have everything at once, you have gots to take it slowly, ahem, lolol Besides, LOOK AT WHAT YOU ARE GETTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(((( Would it be possible to power the unit through the USB w/o the lithium battery ))))

Look in the manual, I think it requires the battery in place when the usb charger is inserted. I am trying to reason, that the battery acts like a filter to prevent spurious voltage spikes to invade and damage the recorder electronics.

One of them suckers will have my name on it!!!

O

well hey, whats with the pink warning at 0 %???? funny I see it here but nobody said what I did....hmmm no matter, I have lots to say

In mention of the three line remote....

There was a review ( I'd give the addy but don't want to offend the pink warning Gods ) and there is a picture of the test unit.....

It had a three line remote model AM-MC40ELK

AS a matter of fact I had seen this review before I read here about the single line remote so I had to find the review again to make sure I saw the MZ-RH1 with the RM-MC40ELK. It is right there in Picture #5 and you can read the numbers of of the face of the remote.

OK, OK as I read on, they MZ-RH1 does indeed come with a single line remote.

THE RM-MC40ELK was from an NH1 to see if the screen would work. They said...

16. The RM-MC40ELK 3 Line remote that come with the NH1 (amongst others) works in full with the prototype version of the RH1

Well, thought I had some Earth shaking news but now I see they just borrowed from an NH1, but since it works, could get another RM-MC40ELK for the MZ-RH1 or MZ-M200.

Just thinking out loud again.

O

BTW: I have an RH1 and a RM-MC40ELK (bought seperately) and even though this combo works almost perfectly, it is limited compared to the NH900+RM-MC40ELK in one thing: the nice option all 1st gen HiMD had with this remote to use the full three lines for:

- artist/disc name

- album/group name

- track title

is not available with thr RH1 (like with the 2nd gen HiMDs)

still, I have reverted to using the (black) RM-MC38EL that came with the RH1. It is single line, but displays enough info IMHO (music was meant to be listened, not read :P ) and is lighter and therefore easier in use than the big'n'heavy 40ELK

to conclude: the 40ELK is a must for all recorders without backlight, as it will allow you to see rec levels in the dark (that is why I bought it for my NH900), but the RH1 really doesn not need it (not for recording thanks to the OLED and not for playback, as the one-line remote really does the trick)... I know, this might be hard to believe, but try and use the RH1 as it is (if you get the chance) and I'm pretty sure most of you will agree...

PS: as the OLED and the remote can show different things (the display routine on the remote is independent from the one on the recorder) you really have a three line (one on the remote and two next to each other on the RH1) display of which two can display the time or frequency analysis and you can use the remote for the track-name

PS: as the OLED and the remote can show different things (the display routine on the remote is independent from the one on the recorder) you really have a three line (one on the remote and two next to each other on the RH1) display of which two can display the time or frequency analysis and you can use the remote for the track-name

Thanks for mentioning this, it's the first I've heard of this change.

I'll try to post some pics about this later so it becomes more clear what I'm talking about

*edit: I haven't really made pics on this exact subject, but if you mentally combine the pics in my RH1 pictorial from the display sequence and the pic of the display on the remote and on the RH1 you'll get the idea I guess: while you can show title of the track on the remote for example, each and every option on the RH1 is possible as well

Edited by The Low Volta

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to the battery issue, I have been using my RH1 WITHOUT the battery and just the connection from USB without ANY problems.

I don't forsee this being a problem for long term use. In fact it will probably end up saving the battery's life as then it won't start charging when you plug it in to the USB (and charging the battery before it is drained and numerous times can lead to a short life)

just my two cents

I am thinking of getting the MZ-RH1. A few questions for the experts here: if you upload an old ATRAC SP track in PCM format with the new MZ-RH1, does it preserve the tagging of your files in any way? Does it break the tracks into separate PCM or .wav files, or is the minidsic loaded as one big long PCM file? Is it uploaded as a .wav file or as an ATRAC advanced PCM lossless file?

Thanks for any help!

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed, uploading an old SP track without a title, SonicStage sets the title of the transferred track to the current date and time, not the date and time the track was actually recorded. (And yes, all of my MDs have recorded datestamps...) Stupid.

Nor does it display the recorded stamp, so it looks like I'll have to use something else to display that info and set the track titles before transferring. Amazing how they can come so far and yet still be so stupid.