Just Cant Do It

Dko

Ok so here is the problem.

Ive been trying to record onto the Player using Sonic Stage 3.4 via the HI-MD mode and ive change the bit rates and no matter what setting i put it on the sound quality comes out the same "popping and skipping" can anyone tell me what to do?

K, I am trying to record Mp3s that i have downloaded from the net onto the MD player, and I am using a normal MD disc 80 and i am recording in HI-MD "SP" mode, I have tried importing a CD and uploading it into the MD player and it works fine there are no pops, I have tried recording at every bit rate from Atrac3 to Atrac3 plus in the convert format menu "for my Mp3s" but in the recording I can still hear the pops "oh god please help me".

Hope this helps.

Edited by Dko

I think if you post your problem in the "Hi-MD" section instead of this one (if the Mods aren't going to move this thread, that is), you'll get quicker help .

Good luck!

as CD's work fine and downloaded MP3's don't I'm guessing that the quality (and bitrate) of those MP3's simply is too low to be converted without annoying artifacts

what bitrate etc are the MP3's? Maybe try to rip a good MP3 yourself and see what that does when transfered (just to eliminate possibilities)

In my collection of MP3s is a mixture of ripped and downloaded stuff and I have tried both bu to no avail. Am I the only one who has come across this problem? Goddammit.

Is there some special driver that i need to download or something like that?. The only other way that i can think f bypassing this problem is to burn my MP3 collection on to CD/DVD and upload it into Sonic Stage, but that is highly unlikely because it is too much effort.

In my collection of MP3s is a mixture of ripped and downloaded stuff and I have tried both bu to no avail. Am I the only one who has come across this problem? Goddammit.

Is there some special driver that i need to download or something like that?. The only other way that i can think f bypassing this problem is to burn my MP3 collection on to CD/DVD and upload it into Sonic Stage, but that is highly unlikely because it is too much effort.

Take a deep breath and relax for a minute. :wacko:

It really sounds like the mp3 files are the issue here. Have you tried a CD, not mp3 files? Does that work?

Or if you have Nero and Daemon manager you can burn your mp3 files to a virtual drive and rip from there... that way your virtual drive can hold far more than a regular CD and you can still use SS or Simple Burner to transfer.

Daemon Tools

Edited by mrsoul

OK,OK,OK

Its alright I think I have located the problem. As I was Having problems with Popping in the recording, I decided to install Sonic Stage into my friends computer and whatdaya know it works perfectly. I think because he is using an external soundcard (CREATIVE Sound Blaster 5.1 PCI) it does some kindof a thing to make it betterererer. Unlike poor old me who is using good old Mongaloid Onboard sound, was troubleshooting for half a day thinking why the F*$#K does it make a "Popping" sound in my recording? God Damn you to hell Sony You sold me a god damn F*$#king Lemon!

Anyway this may be the solution or not (my onboard sound Is gay) I shall investigate further and if anyone has had as much trouble and frustration as I did, May god have mercy on your soul.

Thanks for the advice i did think of creating an image using nero and mounting it into Alcohol 120%, but thats not the point, the software should work without me having to jump through hoops just to do a simple task! thanks anyway. :lol:

Edited by Dko

Guest Guest

It may not be your soundcard.

Look at the properties of your mp3s, either in SonicStage or another program like Winamp or Windows Media Player. What is the bitrate? If they are 48 kbps or 64 kbps, and you are compressing them again to ATRAC to put them onto MD, they're not going to sound good no matter what. SonicStage has also had trouble with VBR (variable bitrate) mp3s in the past, though I don't know if 3.4 has solved those problems.

Also, SonicStage needs a lot of computer power. When you are transferring, do you have a lot of other programs running? Popping and skipping may mean your processor is struggling to keep up. Close: email, browsers, graphics, anything else that uses a lot of processor power. You might also disconnect from the internet and (temporarily) turn off antivirus/spyware scans.

Another possible problem: your audio codecs and/or soundcard driver software.

Look in Settings/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Audio. Is the Default Driver the one for your onboard soundcard? (You can see what that card is named is in Control Panel/System/Device Manager.) I once had TotalRecorder add itself as the default soundcard driver, and it totally screwed up SonicStage's file conversion.

Is all that OK? Then look at Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Sound Video and Game Controllers/Audio Codecs. Some versions of FFDshow are incompatible with SonicStage--is FFDshow in there?

The majority of my MP3s are 128kbs+ and most of the MP3s are the same as my friends cause we leech stuff off each other, yeah i have tried closing all my programs and just run Sonic Stage by itself, but the problem is still there, and my computer(AMD Semperon 2800+,1.6GHZ, 1GB RAM, ASUS K8VX Mother board) is decent enough to multitask.

Yep also the driver installed is the default, I have also tried to install the 64 bit driver for the newer version of the Soundcard but didnt work. Also had FFDSHOW codecs installed and removed them but the problem was still there.

Thanks for the advice, but (I think) maybe it is the Driver installed for the onboard sound cause my computer is much newer than my friends, only difference is he is running an Athlon and a Sounblaster Live Soundcard. So maybe it is the driver I have installed?(Maybe).

Anyway the only way to know is to get off my onboard sound and buy a Soundcard (need to get one anyway). So i will post the results of my experiment after I have purchased a soundcard and If the problem is still there after I have went through all that trouble?(FU@K!)

Edited by Dko