**April Fools**

Webmaster

i have to say i was almost excited. most likely will buy the new machine next year or so for my recordings as then i would not have to borrow my friend's pc to upload... say why cannot sony make compatible firmware for all their machines. hate to drag the poor iPod through this crowd, but every single firmware update adds new compatibility and or features for nearly every iPod, though the oldest is now working on 5 years. sony of course has abandoned every single recorder from before well who knows, but they don't care enough to hope that customers will still use their machines after a few years. in order to add a new feature, forget software updates, open your wallets.

if it were dropped, perhaps they could figure out how to coddle up a new machine that was drag-and-drop compatible, friendly with other formats and not sheered with infighting. oh well, it is an april fool's joke. baka

Although this caught me, I'm not sure it was such a good April Fool's joke as it is so close to reality.

And more importantly: New users, hearing about the MZ-RH1, and who are considering their first Minidisc machine, are now visiting this site for info. Just by casually scanning the headlines on the main page they will see this fake news item and will not realise it is an April Fools joke....so might decide not to go with Minidisc after all. Even worse, thinking this is serious, they might start spreading this false news about the termination of Minidisc around.

Furthermore, the date of the news item isn't even April 1st. It's March 31st....which will further confound people who don't celebrate this tradition - they won't realise it's a "trick".

This news item really needs a prominent "APRIL FOOLS" label posted on it.

Edited by Ral-Clan

Yep

This should be labelled joke, or at least removed from the RSS / news at the front of the site.

My RSS reader keeps throwing this up at me and it's freaking me out every time I see it!! :D :D

New users, hearing about the MZ-RH1, and who are considering their first Minidisc machine, are now visiting this site for info. Just by casually scanning the headlines on the main page they will see this fake news item and will not realise it is an April Fools joke....so might decide not to go with Minidisc after all.

That's a really good point.

I'm very happy that this year, April 1 fell on a day where most web sites are idle, so that we weren't flooded with stupid and possibly dangerous fake news items. If they were universally funny, I'd mind less, but only NPR manages to make a good one every year, and many of them as as harmful as this one was--spreading presumably (!) false but damaging rumors. I wonder how many people will be telling me "But MD is officially dead, I read it on minidisc.org" every time I show them my shiny new player (though I want the black one so it won't be shiny at all.)

~ Kiran <entropy@io.com>

The article never states that they are abandoning the format for good. Just that they need some stupid permission to go forward with another unit. I read the article and it doesn't say they will never make another model.

no that was me. normally i'd not rename a thread except for obscenity but april fools is well & truly over & it would onlt confuse those entering from search engines

no that was me. normally i'd not rename a thread except for obscenity but april fools is well & truly over & it would onlt confuse those entering from search engines

Oops ..Thanks :ok: for editing the topic as it was creating confusion :wacko: in the minds of Newbie

So call me stupid for believing that April Fools Joke. But I don't find the posting of 31 March that amusing. It would be more appropriate on 1 April. Further, I don't think it's that far fetched. For those of us have owned a business-I don't think supporting this format makes a whole lot of sense when you are a big company like Sony.

A small company with a nieche (sp?) product is a whole different story. Lastly-would that post or so called joke be tolerated by a joe smoe poster?

So call me stupid for believing that April Fools Joke. But I don't find the posting of 31 March that amusing. It would be more appropriate on 1 April. Further, I don't think it's that far fetched. For those of us have owned a business-I don't think supporting this format makes a whole lot of sense when you are a big company like Sony.

A small company with a nieche (sp?) product is a whole different story. Lastly-would that post or so called joke be tolerated by a joe smoe poster?

that may be a local time for you. this is a worldwide forum & for me april 1st was close to over before some in the americas had even noticed the date.

topic closed to prevent further confusion