Sound Quality: RH1 vs. NH1 vs. R900/N1 vs. N10...

Rate this topic

zardoz

As per topic.

I have an iPod and an MZ-N10. I've previously owned an N1, R900 and an R91.

I like to use my Sony E888s when out and about and hence rely on the performance of the EQ and the headphone amp to fully realise the capabilities of the buds. I've found the iPod to be lacking and the N10 wasn't too crash hot. I also auditioned the NH1 when it cane out and I was very impressed with that model.

I also recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s although I don't expect to be able to run these unamp'd, it would be a nice thing to be able to do :)

So, how does the RH1 compare to the units I am familiar with? Is this HD amp all that it's cracked up to be?

Thanks.

Although this is purely subjective as ever in my experience, the RH1 should sound as least as good as the NH1 if not slightly better. Both have the HD Amp but the RH1's is supposed to be tweaked slightly. In any case both of these should sound better than the R900 and R91 and the N10 and probably the Ipod.

To get the most out of any of these units though you may want to try them with some higher end headphones, for my money i've yet to see a pair of Sennheiser phones that cut it. ;)

I also recently purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD-600s although I don't expect to be able to run these unamp'd, it would be a nice thing to be able to do :)

You might be surprised by what you can get away with driving those from. I am amazed by how decently my MDs do with my HD580 without additional amping, even the N707 with only 5mw of power can push it well enough to sound good, even if it can't take them to their full potential. Since those Senns are fairly sensitive for their high impedance, they can reach a reasonable volume straight out of a portable unit, though the volume will probably have to be just about maxed out.

A great pair of headphones, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

To get the most out of any of these units though you may want to try them with some higher end headphones, for my money i've yet to see a pair of Sennheiser phones that cut it. ;)

:huh: fighting words...