Sony Insider Forums
Richard

Rich's Onkyo X-B8 Pictorial

Rate this question

Question

Onkyo X-B8 | Hi-MD System (2005)

Presenting my X-B8 bookshelf system. I may at some point include a review, but in the meantime please feel free to discuss and enjoy the pics! Thanks ;)

Note: The transformer pictured is not supplied with the unit, this is just the one I happen to use.

All images © Copyright 2006 - Richard H.

post-7571-1147435585_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435594_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435603_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1147435614_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435634_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1147435643_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435653_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435662_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1147435675_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435683_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435691_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1147435701_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435721_thumb.jpg

post-7571-1147435737_thumb.jpgpost-7571-1147435729_thumb.jpg

Remote Control | RC-603

post-7571-1147435745_thumb.jpg

Step-Down Transformer | Koden TA-200

post-7571-1147435573_thumb.jpg

51 answers to this question

Wow, that's beautiful Rich, thanks for the post,

Bob

Wow!!!Beauty..Rich, does it play Hi-Md`s also ??

thanks for sharing pictorial with us .

Wow!!!Beauty..Rich, does it play Hi-Md`s also ??

thanks for sharing pictorial with us .

Yes indeed this is a Hi-MD system as the title of the topic suggests :P

Yes indeed this is a Hi-MD system as the title of the topic suggests :P

Sorry ,I didn`t read the first two lines ;) .as i was amazed to see this gadget B)B) ..I think it`s time to shut the pc off ..I`m tired now :P:P

Sorry ,I didn`t read the first two lines ;) .as i was amazed to see this gadget B)B) ..I think it`s time to shut the pc off ..I`m tired now :P:P

No problem - But to answer your question more fully it plays back Hi-MD's at all bitrates inc. 192 / 352 and LP2 on Hi-MD formatted discs and all the usual legacy modes to boot.

It will record directly to MD at PCM / 256 / 64 in Hi-MD mode or SP / Mono / LP2 / LP4 in standard MD format.

Very nice black. The piano finish on those speakers is wow. Did you buy this from Audiocubes? I'm kind of curious to see how the brown version looks.

Very nice black. The piano finish on those speakers is wow. Did you buy this from Audiocubes? I'm kind of curious to see how the brown version looks.

No I got it through pricejapan. The brown one Audiocubes lists must be the slightly lower model X-B7 as the X-B8 only has black or white options.

Oh, they need to update their site then. It says the Onkyo X-B8 comes in silver, brown, and black. But, I guess this isn't the first time that Audiocubes lists something incorrectly. Thanks for the heads up. I found a pic of the "brown." I guess I was expecting something darker (like a chocolate brown) and not wood-like.

Onkyo X-B7 (Y)

IPB Image

Super pics :ok: I guess you must feel unique having one of few HiMD booksheft on market. My DH10P will be my "bookshelf system" ^_^

This is really nice, I shall include this in a news link soon along with other pictorials and reviews that have been posted as of late. Tell me about the sound?

Yeah, I aggree, that finish on the speakers is pretty sweet. I take it that optical out only works for cd's? Not for the actual PCM playback of HIMD's? i.e no optical recording from himd?

So, when are you going to get a sub for that :lol:, if something has a subwoofer jack then YOU MUST get one, theres no other way about it!! Heck I wish MY micro system had a sub jack but hey.

Yeah, I aggree, that finish on the speakers is pretty sweet. I take it that optical out only works for cd's? Not for the actual PCM playback of HIMD's? i.e no optical recording from himd?

So, when are you going to get a sub for that :lol: , if something has a subwoofer jack then YOU MUST get one, theres no other way about it!! Heck I wish MY micro system had a sub jack but hey.

The optical out is indeed just for the CD section. As for the subwoofer it's not on my list at the moment, but if at some point I upgrade to a proper home cinema setup (of which Onkyo has some very nice options even here in Europe) then maybe I'll use it. For the moment though the bass (and indeed the sound in general) is just great as it is. B)

The optical out is indeed just for the CD section. As for the subwoofer it's not on my list at the moment, but if at some point I upgrade to a proper home cinema setup (of which Onkyo has some very nice options even here in Europe) then maybe I'll use it. For the moment though the bass (and indeed the sound in general) is just great as it is. B)

'

Very nice, wish it wasn't so pricey. I like Onkyo's components, I have an amp/reciever for my home theater made by Onkyo. Honestly, I just want a Hi-MD deck with optical out to connect to my stereos-- is that so much to ask? Wish Onkyo had included that in their mini deck.

'

Very nice, wish it wasn't so pricey.

They have come down quite a bit in price now - you can now get these for around ¥40000 or less than $400 USD. Obviously you need to budget for shipping and import taxes if you are outside Japan.

Obviously you need to budget for shipping and import taxes if you are outside Japan.

Hey ,How Much Customs did you paid ..??

LOl ..It`s not a walkman ..It`s bigger than a Walkman :lol::lol:

You missed the point, which was that the taxes charged depend on your local customs. Price Japan (where Rich got his deck) doesn't charge any taxes themselves. :rolleyes: Read carefully, Stuge.

You missed the point, which was that the taxes charged depend on your local customs. Price Japan (where Rich got his deck) doesn't charge any taxes themselves. :rolleyes: Read carefully, Stuge.

Yes, you will pay import tax / duty on something this size and value, but the rates will indeed depend on your local authority. (That post from T-board was I think responding to another question about importing Walkman's).

What I just meant to say is that obviously when you think about importing a unit like this you need to budget for shipping and taxes.

Hey ,I wanted to know how much did he gave to Customs department (When the parcel reached his country ).

Hey ,I wanted to know how much did he gave to Customs department (When the parcel reached his country ).

And since you're in India and he's in the Netherlands, this information is useful to you how? Remember that curiosity killed the cat. If Rich hasn't mentioned how much he spent on taxes/etc by now, then perhaps he'd like to keep that information off of a public forum, no? Have to respect other people's hints and wishes. :P

And since you're in India and he's in the Netherlands, this information is useful to you how? Remember that curiosity killed the cat. If Rich hasn't mentioned how much he spent on taxes/etc by now, then perhaps he'd like to keep that information off of a public forum, no? Have to respect other people's hints and wishes. :P

It's ok - I have PM'd Stuge the details though. ;)

It's ok - I don't generally like to shout too much in public about what I spend on this or that. I have PM'd Stuge the details though. ;)

Hehe, Rich. I was hinting to Stuge to leave that info off of a public forum and PM you. ;)

hi i have this onkyo FR X-B8 hi-md unit ,TOO

BUT I FOUND IT HAVE NO CD-TEXT SO YOU CAN'T COPY CD-TEXT NAME TO MD AND THIS UNIT HAVE NO AUTO-PRESENT IN FM 90-108 MHZ FREQUENCEY RANGE YOU CAN ONLY MANUAL IT'S FM IT'S MY EXPERIENCE -_-http://tw.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hommeskim...35d.jpg&.src=ph