Recording from turntable to computer - volume to low

Rate this topic

batfastad

Hi guys

For the past few months I've been experimenting with recording directly to my computer.

I managed to pick up a pretty decent video editor box which has massively improved my sound quality etc as well.

It's a Creative Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor

Normally I rip my records to my CD recorder, Sony RCD-W3 but I want to try and phase that out and eventually get rid of it on ebay.

My turntable is connected to a stereo input on my Marantz PM4200 amp.

Then a stereo output on my amp goes to my Sony MDS-JB980s minidisc deck.

About the only use it sees these days is as a DAC! Without a disc in I hit record and it lets me use it as a DAC.

Then the optical digital output on the back of my minidisc deck goes into my creative video editor box on my music server shuttle box I've built.

The recording software I've experimented with is the smartrecorder software bundled with the device, and audacity.

The problem I've got is the volume of many records is low.

And I was told that when recording, it's important to record as loud a volume as possible. Unfortunately with all the dials and level settings turned up to the max, it's still too low.

Monitoring the decibel display on my minidisc deck, the signal going through the deck generally peaks between -12 and -8dB.

My understanding of digital recording is that I need to get it as close to 0 as possible, without going over into the red.

I also monitor the volume on my computer using a great little volume meter...

http://www.darkwood.demon.co.uk/PC/meter.html

And that shows the same.

All the input levels are turned up to the max in the creative volume control and the creative recording software.

How can I amplify that signal?

Obviously when I turn the volume control on my amp, it amplifies what I actually hear out of my speakers.

When I mess around with the recording level on my minidisc deck it increases the volume, but makes the sound scratchy and distorted the higher it goes.

Is there a way to adjust and amplify the volume of my turntable source, before the amplifier?

Without creating any distortion?

Is that what a preamp is for?

How can I solve this?

What do you guys do?

Apologies if this is basic music / recording stuff but it always was a problem when using my Sony CD recorder as well. Only I didn't notice the distortion as much - even though it was there!!

Thanks

Ben

Mate,

You need a pre - amp to get the levels right (ie line level).

The other thing that pre-amps apply is the RIAA equalisation curve.

Remember LP's & 45's had the bass cut & treble boosted to keep the needle in the groove and also fit more play time onto the discs. The RIAA curve reverses this and returns the response to what it should have been

There are flat amps available where you apply the RIAA via software as opposed to the hit & miss of the component based pre-amp. Not all amps are equal and you get what you pay for.

Hope that helps

Thanks guys. Always wanted a proper explanation of the RIAA stuff.

The turntable (rubbish!) is a Pro-ject Debut one.

But in the manual section "connection to the amplifier"...

This product has a captive tonearm signal lead for connection to the amplifier. Use a line input on your amplifier. Due to the built in phono pre-amplifier, a phono input (sometimes labelled gram, disc or RIAA) is not suitable).

So I guess what I need is a new decent turntable, plus a pre-amp.

Any product suggestions?

Thanks

Ben

Edited by batfastad

Stanton turntables are reasonably priced and usually come with a half decent cartridge.

Depends on your budget and of course where you are.

Try www.tracertek.com for a pre-amp & turntables.

They've got plenty of goodies

Edited by 62v8

If the turntable has a Line-Out, then connect it directly to Line-In of the JB980. Normally, that should do it.

By the way, an average level hovering between -8 to -12dB is normal, as that would allow peaks to go through undistorted. By the way, that is the way, pre Year1995 recordings are mastered, before the 'Louder is better'-Syndrome crept in.

I'll definitely give that a go and try plugging it directly in to the back of the minidisc deck.

I will also boost the recording level by 1dB on the minidisc deck control.

I find the output distorts past +5dB.

Unfortunately though the peaks don't get past -8dB.

If the turntable has a Line-Out, then connect it directly to Line-In of the JB980. Normally, that should do it.

By the way, an average level hovering between -8 to -12dB is normal, as that would allow peaks to go through undistorted. By the way, that is the way, pre Year1995 recordings are mastered, before the 'Louder is better'-Syndrome crept in.

So there's no way to actually amplify a line signal itself? Because an amplifier only amplifies what comes out of the speakers.

Thanks

Ben

I'll definitely give that a go and try plugging it directly in to the back of the minidisc deck.

I will also boost the recording level by 1dB on the minidisc deck control.

I find the output distorts past +5dB.

Unfortunately though the peaks don't get past -8dB.

So there's no way to actually amplify a line signal itself? Because an amplifier only amplifies what comes out of the speakers.

Thanks

Ben

My Stanton st150 turntable actually has a digital-out, which I hook up to the digital-in on my NH900, and poof, instant digital recording of vinyl.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

New to the forum. I currently Record LP's to my minidisc home deck with great results but would like to upload to my computer. If I purchase a HI-MD unit is this possible? I also have a portable MD unit. Can I record a minidisc from the old unit to a HI-MD unit and then upload that way? Please help the "newbie"

Thanks

Hello,

New to the forum. I currently Record LP's to my minidisc home deck with great results but would like to upload to my computer. If I purchase a HI-MD unit is this possible? I also have a portable MD unit. Can I record a minidisc from the old unit to a HI-MD unit and then upload that way? Please help the "newbie"

Thanks

The only Hi-MD model that would allow you to upload these "legacy" recordings is the newest model - the MZ-RH1. There are plenty of threads about this model here in the forums. With the RH1 you wouldn't need to re-record any old discs since it will actually just upload them.