using rh1 as an external dac

Rate this topic

astranovus

hi this might be a stupid question,

but i have installed a turtle beach audio on my laptop,

i am using the spdif output stream and have connected it to my mz-rh1 via an optical cable, i have pressed pause on the digital recording facility on the rh1,

now does this mean i am using the rh1 as a quality dac when i connect my headphones to the line-out via an amp?

plus when i pause the digital recording, is the laser burning or in standy-by

i don't want to wear the laser out unnecessarily

thx for your help

cheers astranovus

Edited by astranovus

now does this mean i am using the rh1 as a quality dac when i connect my headphones to the line-out via an amp?

plus when i pause the digital recording, is the laser burning or in standy-by

Yes, you're using your RH1 as an external DAC. There ar simpler ways [that are less stressful on the equipment] to do this though. Your turtle beach sound adapter likely already has a good output on it for headphones. If it lacks the power to drive 'phones, you'd likely be better off just using an external headphone amp.

The write laser + magnetic head [since both are used for writing] should be in standby mode [the unit buffers data to be written, so it doesn't have to been written as it's converted in any case], but you're still causing wear to the equipment by leaving it in pause.