MiniDisc Addiction. Do you have one?

Rate this topic

alrose312

Question for all of you out there in minidisc land:

Could there be some kind of addiction associated with acquiring minidisc players? Personally, once I get it in my head that I want a particular unit, I become consumed with the process of getting it - Even if there is only a slight difference between my current unit - I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Are there any other freaks out there, and is there a remedy for this condition?

this isn't exclusive to minidisc. it can happen with any product which people really care about that comes in some variety. (cars, computers, etc.) i've never been too caught up in this because i'm very frugal . . cheap, really.* :D

you should check out some keyboarding or guitar forums, though. i'm sure your MD addiction is nothing compared to what some people have with that stuff.

the cure is to try to be rational and realize that the product you have most likely has 95% of the capability and enjoyment you'd get from the "new model".

* omg, i just checked out my registration date for minidisc.org. i signed up for the site 11 months ago and i *just* purchased my first unit. heh. so i guess there's an opposite side of the spectrum that is sometimes as bad.

Edited by m15a

Visit other forums like Head-Fi.org and iLounge.com and you'll see the same type of addiction. Except they seem to spend more money than we do.

Could there be some kind of addiction associated with acquiring minidisc players?

The players produce a subsonic hum with a subliminal addictive message. :(

• Like 1

Could there be some kind of addiction associated with acquiring minidisc players? Personally, once I get it in my head that I want a particular unit, I become consumed with the process of getting it - Even if there is only a slight difference between my current unit - I HAVE TO HAVE IT.

Are there any other freaks out there, and is there a remedy for this condition?

i have boght 3 Hi-MD. My excuse is they're dirt cheap. So cheap, it makes this look expensive:

http://www.sony.com.au/objects/600x400/WMGX100_1.jpg

I don't have a problem. I swear, I don't have a problem.

*looks around*

*Hoards more Hi-MD*

Surely, you can addicted to buying these little toys - I just ordered my 11th unit, an MZ-NH700 (actually 13, if you count a couple in Hong Kong - long story)

I wish there was a cure for this disease.

I just purchased another unit: the MZ-DH710. There's no saving me.

Some members of this forum can stop at one minidisc unit but the rest of us seem to be accumulating as many as possible.

The worst thing is making up feeble excuses to get another like my "I need another unit that uses an LIP-4WM battery". I've got to admit to myself that I really just like collecting the damn things.

The worst thing is making up feeble excuses to get another like my "I need another unit that uses an LIP-4WM battery". I've got to admit to myself that I really just like collecting the damn things.

Tell me about it, the first one "something to fit my pocket", then "something that plays back Atrac3plus", then "something with good battery life", then "something with full metal body", then "something with a nice display", then "something without any display" :lol:...

I feel much better now.

All I have is my MZ-NHF800, my MZ-NH600D, my MZ-NH700 (nearly unused, bought for backup) and my old MZ-N707.....but that's only because I gave my MZ-R700 to my brother, sold my MZ-NH900 and MZ-R900....Uh-oh....

Hey, I can stop any time. Really. Sure I can. Right after I get the MZ-RH1....

I used to be very addicted, now being a uni student, I have troubles funding.

Plus I am a PPC Mac user, so there are few MD options.

I still use my car MD deck a lot however, and I don't think I'll upgrade any time soon.

I for one think I may be addicted to minidisc units. I have 21 units, although I use an Ipod on a daily basis :)

Heres my current collection (all boxed, all in perfect working condition):

>> Recorders: Sony MZ1 - Sony MZR2 - Sony MZR3 - Sharp MS100 - Sharp MS200 - Sony MZR30 - Panasonic SJ.MR200 - Sony MZR900 - Sony MZR909 - Sony MZG755 - Sony MZN1 - Sony MZN10

>> Players: Sharp MDD10 - Sony MZE3 - Sony MZE20 - Sony MZ-F40 - Sony MZE25 - JVC XMP55 - Sony MZE500 - Sharp ST770 - Sony MZE909 - Sony MZE10

...and counting. I haven't switched to Hi-MD yet, but I soon will since I'm planning on buying a RH1 when it comes out.

I purchased my first unit, a shiny silver MZ-RH10, just this March. Already thinking about an MZ-RH1. In the meantime I am conducting lots of minidisc software and hardware experiments, which take lots of my time. You may see some of the results in this forum.

It IS an addiction.

Edited by Avrin

It's definately an addiction. I realised this when I had to start hiding my latest aquisition from my girlfriend because she wouldn't approve of yet another unit...

At least this addiction won't rot my teeth, pickle my liver or give me cancer.

er, no, ... not really ...

N E V E R ! ! !

(pls don't look at the sig!)

(actually the sig is an understatment ... ! ! !)

My wife thinks I have lost my sense of reason.

She is probably right :(

now, *my* question is, how much money do you all make!?!? :D i feel guilty buying anything over $100 unless it's really important to me. i just feel like at some point i'll need the money for something better . . .

There should be a line at the bottom of my income statement: net income after minidisc purchases and acquisitions".

My addiction is on-and-off. I can leave for a few months (to try new devices), but I always come back to minidisc and all of its silly limitations.

Heck, today I drove to Fry's on a whim and they were selling two (2) Sony MZ-DH10P for $99.90 each. Yep, bought them both. There are three price stickers on them: 1)$499.00, 2)$199.00 and $99.90. Yeah!!!!

My addiction is on-and-off. I can leave for a few months (to try new devices), but I always come back to minidisc and all of its silly limitations.

Heck, today I drove to Fry's on a whim and they were selling two (2) Sony MZ-DH10P for $99.90 each. Yep, bought them both. There are three price stickers on them: 1)$499.00, 2)$199.00 and $99.90. Yeah!!!!

What a deal! Do they have Fry's on the East Coast?

Lamewing - by the way, the NH900 that you sold me is still awesome - I use it all the time!

Wow.. $99 for a DH10? It's too bad the Fry's here in LA are so big/popular, pretty much any good deal is long gone before I hear about them. (and it's not a place I enjoy just browsing under most circumstances. ;) )

I definitely have the addiction. I followed Minidisc pretty intently from introduction on.. I always wanted one but they were way out of my price range til I graduated college and got a real job... picked up my first Sharp 722 from Mobshop (anyone remember them? the more people bought a deal, the cheaper the price got). I liked it a lot (it's still in use as an occasional recorder, and probably will be used even more once the RH1 comes out in the US and I can upload legacy recordings-- I love how the 722 works, still the best MD portable I've personally used).

I got an MD deck (the MXD-400) a couple years later when I was building a nice home theatre setup (this may be heresy, but the CD player ROCKS on that thing-- awesome quality for a non-high-end CD player, especially on MP3s! MD sounds fantastic, too). I use it for recording stuff all the time, especially vinyl.

Picked up an NH1 about a year after they came out, using some gift cards I got for Christmas. I never entirely bonded with the NH1-- fantastic styling, but the quirks kinda annoyed me. Plus I had the warranty length wrong in my head, and I thought I had a year to return it under warranty (it turns off randomly during recording, always has), but it was really only 90 days... never really bonded with the unit the way I would've liked to, given it was a gift (indirectly, from the gift cards) and how nice it can be. I wouldn't want to get rid of it, though.

Just picked up an RH910 with help from this site and love it... although it has some minor issues.. like sometimes it resumes playback properly after being paused or stopped (same track, same play mode, etc), and sometimes it restarts from scratch-- track 1, group 1, not in shuffle mode or whatever mode I was in. :/ But it overall seems to work very well and I really like it (especially the larger display, and the fact it was cheaper so I don't feel like I have to treat it like it was made of gold.. [although I take very good care of most of my electronics]) I've been tempted to snag a DH10P if I see one cheap or maybe an RH10 for the display, but have no real reason to!

And I am definitely buying an RH1 ASAP, as I think it'll let me get a LOT more use out of my decks, and I have older SP recordings from the 722 I'd love to be able to digitally download. I'm really excited for it.

It's like-- I love the format, never have completely found an ongoing use for it, but will keep buying units til I do. ;)

!

Score! :ok:

99.90 US? I'd buy all their stock, too.

Just goes to show ya, visiting a real store can reap rewards. Nicely done :)

(not that I'm encouraging frivolous spending, but it's 100 bucks, people! :D )

^_^

Something tells me Sony's Hi-MD products were not hot sellers :)

*OFF TOPIC*

wth!!.. may you post a pic of the bill?

euh simply ...WOW...

I thought I had caught the bug heavily :lol: ... I only have one, ONE MD (my trusty NH900) but it has seen so much use (but no abuse at all) that my friends only recognize me with the thing by my side

OK, I will be getting an RH1, but then my NH900 will be used by my girlfriend as a replacement for her JVC MD for recording interviews (heck, with the RH1, I can simply start using the JVC with my spare set of mics so I will never miss one second of a concert anymore... heck why, I'll just let her keep the JVC as I will be able to upload her legacy recordings anyway and I'll use a double HiMD/PCM setup...) see you guys got to me now, I was perfectly happy with one and now I'm already getting greedy :P

*edited for spelling

Edited by The Low Volta

My only MD-related addiction is to SP and Atrac 352. Anything under 292kbps is just... uncivilized.

:huh: 64kbps is really good!

Honestly, :lol: I use 64kbps.

48kbps is just listenable!

But I can get away with useing it with some music - the simple ones!

The next jump after that is over double the size, not one that I feel is worth it!

Oh, Stuge. My comment was because I'm an elitist bitrate jerk. Didn't mean to sound condescending. It's just that for me, SP and Atrac 352 are the only flavors of Atrac I can listen to without thinking of compression artifacts messing up my sound quality.

I was listening to Time=Cause by Broken Social Scene the other day, recorded on a vintage deck in SP (Atrac TypeR) and I could feel/hear all the artifacts in the cymbals. Gross! Such a great song though, so I keep the disc around.

Maybe it's the tequila, but the r50 is still the coolest looking audio device I own.