Sony Insider Forums
alrose312

MiniDisc Addiction. Do you have one?

Rate this topic

Wow.. $99 for a DH10? It's too bad the Fry's here in LA are so big/popular, pretty much any good deal is long gone before I hear about them. (and it's not a place I enjoy just browsing under most circumstances. ;) )

I definitely have the addiction. I followed Minidisc pretty intently from introduction on.. I always wanted one but they were way out of my price range til I graduated college and got a real job... picked up my first Sharp 722 from Mobshop (anyone remember them? the more people bought a deal, the cheaper the price got). I liked it a lot (it's still in use as an occasional recorder, and probably will be used even more once the RH1 comes out in the US and I can upload legacy recordings-- I love how the 722 works, still the best MD portable I've personally used).

I got an MD deck (the MXD-400) a couple years later when I was building a nice home theatre setup (this may be heresy, but the CD player ROCKS on that thing-- awesome quality for a non-high-end CD player, especially on MP3s! MD sounds fantastic, too). I use it for recording stuff all the time, especially vinyl.

Picked up an NH1 about a year after they came out, using some gift cards I got for Christmas. I never entirely bonded with the NH1-- fantastic styling, but the quirks kinda annoyed me. Plus I had the warranty length wrong in my head, and I thought I had a year to return it under warranty (it turns off randomly during recording, always has), but it was really only 90 days... never really bonded with the unit the way I would've liked to, given it was a gift (indirectly, from the gift cards) and how nice it can be. I wouldn't want to get rid of it, though.

Just picked up an RH910 with help from this site and love it... although it has some minor issues.. like sometimes it resumes playback properly after being paused or stopped (same track, same play mode, etc), and sometimes it restarts from scratch-- track 1, group 1, not in shuffle mode or whatever mode I was in. :/ But it overall seems to work very well and I really like it (especially the larger display, and the fact it was cheaper so I don't feel like I have to treat it like it was made of gold.. [although I take very good care of most of my electronics]) I've been tempted to snag a DH10P if I see one cheap or maybe an RH10 for the display, but have no real reason to!

And I am definitely buying an RH1 ASAP, as I think it'll let me get a LOT more use out of my decks, and I have older SP recordings from the 722 I'd love to be able to digitally download. I'm really excited for it.

It's like-- I love the format, never have completely found an ongoing use for it, but will keep buying units til I do. ;)

My addiction is on-and-off. I can leave for a few months (to try new devices), but I always come back to minidisc and all of its silly limitations.

Heck, today I drove to Fry's on a whim and they were selling two (2) Sony MZ-DH10P for $99.90 each. Yep, bought them both. There are three price stickers on them: 1)$499.00, 2)$199.00 and $99.90. Yeah!!!!

!

Score! :ok:

99.90 US? I'd buy all their stock, too.

Just goes to show ya, visiting a real store can reap rewards. Nicely done :)

(not that I'm encouraging frivolous spending, but it's 100 bucks, people! :D )

^_^

Something tells me Sony's Hi-MD products were not hot sellers :)

*OFF TOPIC*

My addiction is on-and-off. I can leave for a few months (to try new devices), but I always come back to minidisc and all of its silly limitations.

Heck, today I drove to Fry's on a whim and they were selling two (2) Sony MZ-DH10P for $99.90 each. Yep, bought them both. There are three price stickers on them: 1)$499.00, 2)$199.00 and $99.90. Yeah!!!!

wth!!.. may you post a pic of the bill?

My only MD-related addiction is to SP and Atrac 352. Anything under 292kbps is just... uncivilized.

Edited by Syrius

I used to worry about the number of MD units I have but as I haven't reached double figures yet, I can put that off for another couple of years.

Anything under 292kbps is just... uncivilized.

:blink::blink::wacko: Man ,what you want to say ..According to you i`m uncivilised b`coz i use Atrac 3 Plus 192kpbs :P

Edited by stuge

euh simply ...WOW...

I thought I had caught the bug heavily :lol: ... I only have one, ONE MD (my trusty NH900) but it has seen so much use (but no abuse at all) that my friends only recognize me with the thing by my side

OK, I will be getting an RH1, but then my NH900 will be used by my girlfriend as a replacement for her JVC MD for recording interviews (heck, with the RH1, I can simply start using the JVC with my spare set of mics so I will never miss one second of a concert anymore... heck why, I'll just let her keep the JVC as I will be able to upload her legacy recordings anyway and I'll use a double HiMD/PCM setup...) see you guys got to me now, I was perfectly happy with one and now I'm already getting greedy :P

*edited for spelling

Edited by The Low Volta

My only MD-related addiction is to SP and Atrac 352. Anything under 292kbps is just... uncivilized.

:huh: 64kbps is really good!

Honestly, :lol: I use 64kbps.

48kbps is just listenable!

But I can get away with useing it with some music - the simple ones!

The next jump after that is over double the size, not one that I feel is worth it!

Already purchased four for the past 6 months, and I won't buy another MD unit again, well, after I've got the RH1.

Already purchased four for the past 6 months, and I won't buy another MD unit again, well, after I've got the RH1.

Famous last words, I never believe them. :D

:lol: Maybe MDCF/T-Board can now adopt a forum slogan similar to Head-Fi's "Sorry about your wallet."

Oh, Stuge. My comment was because I'm an elitist bitrate jerk. Didn't mean to sound condescending. It's just that for me, SP and Atrac 352 are the only flavors of Atrac I can listen to without thinking of compression artifacts messing up my sound quality.

I was listening to Time=Cause by Broken Social Scene the other day, recorded on a vintage deck in SP (Atrac TypeR) and I could feel/hear all the artifacts in the cymbals. Gross! Such a great song though, so I keep the disc around.

Maybe it's the tequila, but the r50 is still the coolest looking audio device I own.

Addiction? Hmm.. let me think.... got my MZ-N420D 6 weeks agom then a used S1, now ordered a NH700L today... you tell me :P

:wacko::wacko::blink::blink:

just personal prefrence!

I would use 128kbps atrac3plus but to the lack of Hi-MD support with that, well I don't.

lol 64 does me just fine (for now) lol! :lol:

lol 64 does me just fine (for now) lol! :lol:

Stuge really shouldn't be making fun of your 64 kbps preference - he did buy the Bose TriPorts at retail (or more) afterall. :lol:

MDCF seems a little RH1-crazy lately. T-Board is less RH1-crazy, but more DH10P/NH3D- and definitely EH1-crazy.

Stuge really shouldn't be making fun of your 64 kbps preference - he did buy the Bose TriPorts at retail (or more) afterall. :lol:

Just don't reveal this bit of info to the folks at Head-Fi. :P

MDCF seems a little RH1-crazy lately. T-Board is less RH1-crazy, but more DH10P/NH3D- and definitely EH1-crazy.

Somewhat towards the RH1 for its ability to upload legacy tracks. ;) However, we sure do have a large number of DH10P/EH1 owners before the advent of RH1. As for myself, I just need to find time to prep a pictorial for my red DH10P.

Just don't reveal this bit of info to the folks at Head-Fi. :P

Somewhat towards the RH1 for its ability to upload legacy tracks. ;) However, we sure do have a large number of DH10P/EH1 owners before the advent of RH1. As for myself, I just need to find time to prep a pictorial for my red DH10P.

Man, just thought it was me. Since I saw the RH1 on web page on satyrday, I know I've gots to have it :D

I'm listening to some .flac files at the moment, I might find myself going to 352kbps soonish! :lol:

& what is that anyway? (Bose TriPorts)

Edited by danielbb90

Bose Triports are $150 headphones. A lot of people praise them for their comfort and sound quality, just as many people think that they are drastically over priced.

Bose Triports are $150 headphones. A lot of people praise them for their comfort and sound quality, just as many people think that they are drastically over priced.

No offense, Nismo, but you're sugar-coating it a little (possibly to spare Stuge's feelings, I'd imagine, so that's fine). I think there is more TriPort bashing compared to TriPort praising, by a landslide.

Daniel: You know how people here generally react to someone buying an iPod? That's how people usually react over at Head-Fi when someone buys the Bose TriPorts, hence Ishiyoshi's comment about not revealing this info over at that forum. It's like feeding you to the lions.

No offense, Nismo, but you're sugar-coating it a little (possibly to spare Stuge's feelings, I'd imagine, so that's fine). I think there is more TriPort bashing compared to TriPort praising, by a landslide.

Daniel: You know how people here generally react to someone buying an iPod? That's how people usually react over at Head-Fi when someone buys the Bose TriPorts, hence Ishiyoshi's comment about not revealing this info over at that forum. It's like feeding you to the lions.

I like that answer, dousn't take much to understand it... :ok:

ROFL, I have heard of Head-Fi but not TriPort lol

Edited by danielbb90

Generally, when you pin down a Tri-port hater they'll admit that the phones aren't as terrible as they make out. Most folks I know think that the Triports would be an ok set of phones at a $50 pricepoint. As it is, I've listened to them myself in an Apple store and think they were comfy and with good EQ (not an iPod) settings, they can sound good. You can get much better headphones for less than half the cost of the Triports though.