Sony Insider Forums
alrose312

MiniDisc Addiction. Do you have one?

Rate this topic

Oh heck, it's 2018 and I've (re)joined this strangely addictive club. Can I hold back at 5 machines (4 of which I use, 1 I'm trying my best to repair)? Now I'm panic buying new blanks.

There's no hope.

How many addicted members are still active in this area in 2018? I see from eBay today that full-size machines are still selling well - lots of bids and pretty decent prices on the good-condition machines. I must stop looking...must stop...must stop...!

I started messing about with MiniDisc again about 2-3 years ago after a break of 10ish years. Since then I've somehow bought three Sony QS decks and three Sony MD Walkmans, to go with my original deck and Walkman.

I've also been picking up blanks. Luckily Sony is still making them, for now at least, so the prices haven't gone crazy and it's relatively easy to pick up new sealed blanks. Assuming you are not after HiMD ones that is.

This thread has been going on for a dozen years! I currently have 9 decks, with most of them in some kind of active use. An MXD-D400 is in a box and there were prior decks I no longer have—perhaps another six?  Although I'm not actually planning on acquiring any more...never say never. Have a few portables, too...rarely used. Head units in two cars. On and on it goes :-)

Well, just to chime in. I've got three MD decks in semi-regular use (JE480, MXD-D40, Onkyo MD-105 Hi-MD deck), NH900 gets an occasional spin (though my little Sansa Clip zip is my portable of choice). Have several Sony portable MD recorders and decks "in storage". My MZ-B10 is in daily use at home. All my new music still gets added to the MD collection: ~250 LP2 discs/~40 Hi-MD  discs. So yes, I guess I'm still an MD addict.

HI everybody, tell me KJ_Palmer, why do you have choosen LP2 instead of SP ?

I have in mind to record >> 500 MD (from Hi-Res music) and for sure LP2 is the easiest (fastest) solution :

SACD/SDS files ---> Flac lossless 24bit/48kHz (not 44,1kHz) ----> WMA lossless 24bit/48kHz (because FLAC is not recognized by SS) --->  Net-MD transfer

I don't know yet if SS accept to recognize 24bit/48kHz files

1 hour ago, PhilippeC said:

why do you have choosen LP2 instead of SP ?

Out of laziness mostly. For me LP2 gives a good balance between quality and no. of tracks, and it's easy to get from Sonicstage. For higher quality I've kept most of my CDs/SACDs and have all my high-res downloads on hard drives. Have a few SP (and LP4) discs, but LP2 also saves a lot of shelf space.

3 hours ago, KJ_Palmer said:

Out of laziness mostly. For me LP2 gives a good balance between quality and no. of tracks, and it's easy to get from Sonicstage. For higher quality I've kept most of my CDs/SACDs and have all my high-res downloads on hard drives. Have a few SP (and LP4) discs, but LP2 also saves a lot of shelf space.

Yes, good philosophy. I think if get a similar one : nowadays you can buy (for a lot of money) Hi-Res players, some even high-end. But is this necessary to have the best sound ever when you travel or when you are outside ? When you know that all those players will get problems after 3-5 years (maybe less) and that the so-called high-end earphones & headphones all get their own problems too, I think that I prefer to listen to music with a MD player which has cost me peanuts and above all with MD discs that I can touch. The only problem is that you cannot bring a wide choice of music with you. LP2 give you more music ;>)

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PhilippeC said:

T'exagères... 

No I am not. I am serious.

My wife and I are fond of mono ATRAC 4.5. She taught me the art of mono, soon after we met. We are not alone. There is a community of mono lovers (that includes Radio France sound engineers).

We think that stereo is a waste of resource, just like 3D movies. We think that stereo distracts you from listening to music. We know that stereo limits or forbids our freedom of movement.

We love the superior signal/noise ratio of mono FM receivers. We love to service two rooms with one stereo amp and two speakers. We love MD74s that hold one hour and a half of mono recordings.

We enjoy a yes different, but still incredibly rich, md experience.

Just like stereo md lovers do :)

Hmm I doubt he's answering. 12 year old thread and author gone from around here since April 2017.

13 hours ago, philippeb said:

No I am not. I am serious.

Sure you are. I knew that. 

Could be THE solution to record 5.000 Hi-Res albums (if LP2 mono allowed 4 x the theorical time of the MD disc).

Far away from the 28 mn on 305Mb Hi-MD formatted minidisc, using the Linear PCM 1.4mbps recorded in real time  :>(   : perfect 24 bit /48 kHz, but but costly in recording time and above all no way to bring a 10kg MD discs case each travel !

Finally, Atrac3 LP2 132 kbps or Atrac3plus 256 kbps dowloadable from PC, that is the question.

It’s February 2018, and I just spent last weekend converting my car to take an 18 year old Pioneer MiniDisc head-unit. I still make up ‘mixtape’ discs on my hifi to listen to when out driving, or walking the dog.

Ive lost count, but I’ve got something like 1000+ discs, several hifi separates and over a dozen portable units. I record all my music in Type-R SP so that it is compatible across the range.

MiniDisc never ‘crashes’, mixes up my tracks or loses the album artwork. It never requires ‘sync resets’ to a PC, and can go on endlessly on AA batteries which can be easily swapped out. It is dirt-cheap to buy second-hand, requires no ‘updates’ and if the worst happens, you only lose one single disc. I have absolutely no intention of ‘upgrading’ to anything else in the near future.

44 minutes ago, Matt C said:

44 minutes ago, Matt C said:

MiniDisc never ‘crashes’, mixes up my tracks or loses the album artwork. It never requires ‘sync resets’ to a PC, and can go on endlessly on AA batteries which can be easily swapped out. It is dirt-cheap to buy second-hand, requires no ‘updates’ and if the worst happens, you only lose one single disc. I have absolutely no intention of ‘upgrading’ to anything else in the near future.

I could not have said it more cogently than the above.

20 years on, I have 4 full size decks, 4 portables, 350 + recorded discs and 650+ blank discs.

I would not let any of my MD units within a million miles of a PC.

Addict ?

Kieron.

• Thanks 1

I am an addict too (I just order 1500 MD blanks...). BUT computers (or expansive portable units) are the only ones which can read Hi-Res music. So I am in both world.

portable units Sony 2 MZ-RH1, 1 MZ-NH900, 1 MZ-NH700, 1 MZ-N710, 1 MZ-N510 , 1 MZ-R55, 1 MZ-R30,

decks Sony 1 MDS-B5, 1 MDS-JB980, 1 MDS-JB930

bookshelves Onkyo FR-SX7, Panasonic SC-HD615MD

On my PC, I store > 10 To of music (only Hi-Res music downloaded from rutracker.org). I can do that because I live in Asia (no copyright control). I read and classified the 4500+ albums with jRiver Media Center.