How to Record into Hi-MD MZ-NH700

Rate this topic

rodre01

Hello,

This is my first message, since i'm new minidisc owner.

I was trying to record some .cda files into the hi-md but is not fitting as many files as I thought it would (I was able to record about 120 songs in a 1Gig disk).

Should the files be converted to some other format which would allow me to store more files?

Thanks,

Rodre

CDA? How? What program are you using? If you are simply dragging and dropping from Windows explorer, all you are transferring are some icons. You MUST use Sonicstage. CDA files are only little marks that tell the CD players where the tracks begin and how long they last.

If you are trying to transfer (Recording is done in real time, like in the old 80's and it's very different from transferring from the computer), you can convert your music files to either Hi-Sp, HI-LP, LP, Atrac 352, or Wav, and move them to the HI-MD with SonicStage. Remember, no drag and drop.

Please tell us how are you transferring or recording the files to the Hi-MD.

Sounds like you're encoding to HiSP [256kbps], which gives a usable 7:55 recording time.

Using HiMD's own audio format [atrac3plus] you can also encode to:

LPCM [uncompressed, 94 minutes]

352kbps [just under 6 hours]

192kbps [just under 11 hours]

64kbps [aka HiLP 64] [around 33 hours]

48kbps [aka HiLP 48] [around 42 hours]

What you deem to be the minimum acceptable quality is up to your ears.

Check SS's encoding options, try encoding to each bitrate, and see what you prefer.

Choose your own compromise between time vs. quality.

I used the simple burner that came with the hi-md. It read from the cd and I clicked the arrow for recording into the walkman which it did.

.cda is the type of files that were in the cd. I was expecting the file to be converted to mp3 (I am not sure if it did any coversion or not) or some other format but it recorded into the mini cd fine but the hi-md cd was filled too quickly I thought. :unsure:

CDA? How? What program are you using? If you are simply dragging and dropping from Windows explorer, all you are transferring are some icons. You MUST use Sonicstage. CDA files are only little marks that tell the CD players where the tracks begin and how long they last.

If you are trying to transfer (Recording is done in real time, like in the old 80's and it's very different from transferring from the computer), you can convert your music files to either Hi-Sp, HI-LP, LP, Atrac 352, or Wav, and move them to the HI-MD with SonicStage. Remember, no drag and drop.

Please tell us how are you transferring or recording the files to the Hi-MD.

Thanks for the info, but is over my head. Can you help me understand some things:

Where can I chose the atrac3plus format when I am recording?

and, How do I pick the kbps?

I will be listening to mostly speech and not music so much, so quality might not be that important.

Thanks,

Rodre

Sounds like you're encoding to HiSP [256kbps], which gives a usable 7:55 recording time.

Using HiMD's own audio format [atrac3plus] you can also encode to:

LPCM [uncompressed, 94 minutes]

352kbps [just under 6 hours]

192kbps [just under 11 hours]

64kbps [aka HiLP 64] [around 33 hours]

48kbps [aka HiLP 48] [around 42 hours]

What you deem to be the minimum acceptable quality is up to your ears.

Check SS's encoding options, try encoding to each bitrate, and see what you prefer.

Choose your own compromise between time vs. quality.

You can find this in the manual and Help, but:

Open Simple Burner. Click CONFIG on the upper right (it doesn't look like a button but it is). Under Settings and "Select a bit rate for recording" on Hi-MD use the menu to switch to Hi-LP (34 hours per disc) or, if you really want to pack the disc, 48 kbps (45 hours per disc). (Both of those are Sony website figures, Dex.) Click OK, you're done.

Edited by A440