srizvi1

Recording Stand up / Stand-up comedy - Best Minidisc Solution?

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Call them and have them order it before you get there, and you will need an 1/8 stereo extension cable (headphone cable extension)

because the supplied cable might be a little short . Here is what is sounds like on an MD withe a Barouque Quintet

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=A...ost&id=2313

Here is what it sounds like withe big taiko drums ( Of course you have to drastically change the settings)

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?act=A...ost&id=2315

Hey Guitarfx,

When I went in to B&H yesterday and talked to them about getting the AT822 for use as a Boom for dialogue, they talked me out of it and said I wouldn't want to use a stereo as a boom. I Would want to go with a mono for boom, and then they recommended the NTG2 instead.

However, because of the camera I'm working with, the Rode Videomic would be the better option mainly because it uses the mini 1/8 cable instead of the XLR cable.

I brought this question up in the sony HDV forums and Doughie, the moderator of that forum, gave me some good advice that can be read here:

http://sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?p=55343

What I was wondering was if the AT822 isn't good for boom purposes, what are good purposes that it would be used for and maybe I'll look into getting that mic anyways since you speak so highly of it.

Also, I brought this thread here back to life:

USING MINIDISC FOR VIDEO PRODUCTION

I figured maybe we shouldn't take this topic too off course. So if you don't mind, can we keep our convo going over in that thread?

Hey Guitarfx,

When I went in to B&H yesterday and talked to them about getting the AT822 for use as a Boom for dialogue, they talked me out of it and said I wouldn't want to use a stereo as a boom. I Would want to go with a mono for boom, and then they recommended the NTG2 instead.

However, because of the camera I'm working with, the Rode Videomic would be the better option mainly because it uses the mini 1/8 cable instead of the XLR cable.

I brought this question up in the sony HDV forums and Doughie, the moderator of that forum, gave me some good advice that can be read here:

http://sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?p=55343

What I was wondering was if the AT822 isn't good for boom purposes, what are good purposes that it would be used for and maybe I'll look into getting that mic anyways since you speak so highly of it.

Also, I brought this thread here back to life:

USING MINIDISC FOR VIDEO PRODUCTION

I figured maybe we shouldn't take this topic too off course. So if you don't mind, can we keep our convo going over in that thread?

That guy was full of BS , Stereo Boom mics add realism to an image , He has absolutely no Idea what he is talking about .

Did you listen to the samples I posted? The Baroque Quintet was over 25 feet from the Mic I had the mic Above the crowd 1 foot from the ceiling center of the Back wall of the room.

That is what a Boom image would be like with the AT -822 , .....The idea of a stereo mic not working for a boom mic is a misconception , The only thing on the side of a mono mic is to completely isolate the voice in question , If you have two people talking and there is seperation between them ,If you dont have the same seperation between them in the audio as you do in the Image , it is going to come off as unnatural

B&H wanted to sell something they had in stock , not what they would have to order

Check FullCompass that is the only company that I will deal with as a 3rd party if I am not holding the item I want in my hands at a store.

http://www.fullcompass.com

Edited by Guitarfxr

That guy was full of BS , Stereo Boom mics add realism to an image , He has absolutely no Idea what he is talking about .

Did you listen to the samples I posted? The Baroque Quintet was over 25 feet from the Mic I had the mic Above the crowd 1 foot from the ceiling center of the Back wall of the room.

That is what a Boom image would be like with the AT -822 , .....The idea of a stereo mic not working for a boom mic is a misconception , The only thing on the side of a mono mic is to completely isolate the voice in question , If you have two people talking and there is seperation between them ,If you dont have the same seperation between them in the audio as you do in the Image , it is going to come off as unnatural

B&H wanted to sell something they had in stock , not what they would have to order

Check FullCompass that is the only company that I will deal with as a 3rd party if I am not holding the item I want in my hands at a store.

http://www.fullcompass.com

Hey Guitar FX,

I did check out the sound samples and they did sound good. It would have been helpful to hear some dialogue in action, as in something similar to what I'm trying to do, but I get the idea. And I have a strong feeling that you know what you're talking about so I definitely trust your advice here.

I debated between your suggestion of going with the AT822 for the boom and Doughie the Moderator of sonyhdvinfo.com's advice of going with the Rode Mono Videomic for boom (the specific advice is here: http://sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=9413 ). But over in the Using Minidisc for Video production thread over here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11869, King Ghidora definitely made a strong case for going with a stereo mic instead of a directional mic.

I really would like to use this mic also attached to my camera with a mount, so I think that's going to be a factor on which mic I ultimately go with. I'm pretty sure the Rode Stereo videomic will do that because I know the other Rode Mic connects fine (it has the mini plug that my camcorder uses, my HC1 camcorder doesn't have XLR inputs). King Ghidora also suggested the SonyECM-MS907 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMMS907-Digital-Recording-Microphone/dp/B00001W0DT/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1673371-5011161?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1178040605&sr=8-1)

and I saw that sound professionals had a microphone that they say is much better than this (at about double the price of the Sony, but 1/2 the price of the AT822 and the Rode Stereo Videomic): here's the sound professionals one:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...;source=froogle

Do you have any suggestions on which to go with out of these choices, or are you standing by the AT822?

Hey Guitar FX,

I did check out the sound samples and they did sound good. It would have been helpful to hear some dialogue in action, as in something similar to what I'm trying to do, but I get the idea. And I have a strong feeling that you know what you're talking about so I definitely trust your advice here.

I debated between your suggestion of going with the AT822 for the boom and Doughie the Moderator of sonyhdvinfo.com's advice of going with the Rode Mono Videomic for boom (the specific advice is here: http://sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=9413 ). But over in the Using Minidisc for Video production thread over here: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11869, King Ghidora definitely made a strong case for going with a stereo mic instead of a directional mic.

I really would like to use this mic also attached to my camera with a mount, so I think that's going to be a factor on which mic I ultimately go with. I'm pretty sure the Rode Stereo videomic will do that because I know the other Rode Mic connects fine (it has the mini plug that my camcorder uses, my HC1 camcorder doesn't have XLR inputs). King Ghidora also suggested the SonyECM-MS907 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-ECMMS907-Digital-Recording-Microphone/dp/B00001W0DT/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1673371-5011161?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1178040605&sr=8-1)

and I saw that sound professionals had a microphone that they say is much better than this (at about double the price of the Sony, but 1/2 the price of the AT822 and the Rode Stereo Videomic): here's the sound professionals one:

http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/...;source=froogle

Do you have any suggestions on which to go with out of these choices, or are you standing by the AT822?

I own both the ECM 957a ( a BIG step up fro the 907) and the AT822 , and I keep telling you the AT822 , so what do you think I am going to say ? You are over thinking this thing and confusing yourself The AT 822 , in its price range is the best mic out there for all kinds of situations. plus it has the Low Frequency cut to keep the rumble down which lesser priced mics just do not have ( It is a MUST)

You can spend a LOT more than the 822 , and not really get that much more mic. Its impedance is perfectly matched for MD there are a lot of good mics out there that work fine in a Mixing board , but plug them into and MD and they sound like crap.

I am not saying anymore I have said my piece ,posted samples , gave advice, just as a lot of people have KING told you he does Video for a living , and then said " You want a stereo mic" ........my backpack generally contains .....a Battery pack , and RH1 , and an AT822 with a mini tripod or a walking stick with a mic mount .

I own both the ECM 957a ( a BIG step up fro the 907) and the AT822 , and I keep telling you the AT822 , so what do you think I am going to say ? You are over thinking this thing and confusing yourself The AT 822 , in its price range is the best mic out there for all kinds of situations. plus it has the Low Frequency cut to keep the rumble down which lesser priced mics just do not have ( It is a MUST)

You can spend a LOT more than the 822 , and not really get that much more mic. Its impedance is perfectly matched for MD there are a lot of good mics out there that work fine in a Mixing board , but plug them into and MD and they sound like crap.

I am not saying anymore I have said my piece ,posted samples , gave advice, just as a lot of people have KING told you he does Video for a living , and then said " You want a stereo mic" ........my backpack generally contains .....a Battery pack , and RH1 , and an AT822 with a mini tripod or a walking stick with a mic mount .

I understand what you're saying GuitarFX. I just wanted to get as much information as possible before making my decision so thats why I asked so many questions which pretty much yielded the same answers over and over: the AT822.

You have definitely made your case for the AT822 and I will get that along with the Rode Videomic also. I will try both the Rode and the AT822 as boom mics and both as on camera mics and go with what I think is best for each set up. But ultimately, I would like to own both.

Doughie over at SonyHDVinfo thinks I can do the boom just fine with the Rode Videomic and you think I can do the boom just fine with the AT822. So I'll let my ears be the final decision makers.

The way you speak so highly about how well the AT822 works with the minidisc makes me think I should ONLY use the AT822 with my MZ-RH1, with the Rode to go into the mic input of the camera.

so I'm thinking, regardless of which mic I go with for the boom (the Rode or the AT822), I will only feed the AT822 into the MZ-RH1 and the Rode into the camera. The Rode 10ft cable - (hmm... or maybe 2 10ft cables might be needed?) should make this possible.

For the AT822, do you have advice on any accessories? with the Rode, I Will need to get the Deadcat windshield thing to protect against wind when i use this outdoors.

Edited by srizvi1

Hey guys,

I Wanted to upload a new video from the Funniest Federal Employee contest here in the DC area - as well as some sound exports. This edition of the sound exports is going to suck a bit though because (I think at least - it's been a while since this event happeed) my line in battery module was acting up so I couldn't use it for my set.

But I do have another .wav export from the minidisc from earlier in the show when (again, if I remember correctly - it's been a while) my battery module was ok.

So there's a few things to compare here.

Let me know what you guys think.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to get volume control when recording? I can't figure it out on my MZ-RH1.

Video:

R1C.COM/samples/shahryar-funniestfed-round1.mov

Audio:

These links are dead - I have to find and reupload them.

http://www.r1i-bin/shahryar-funniestfed-ro...ject-export.wav

http://www.r1i-bin/shahryar-funniestfed-ro...disc-export.wav

Extra Audio (from earlier in the show when I believe the battery line in module was connected correctly and working ok):

http://www.r1i-bin/rob_to_john_mumma_to_jeff_mauer.wav

Edited by srizvi1

I will take a look later , nice to see you back.

Just a little busy at the moment

I will take a look later , nice to see you back.

Just a little busy at the moment

Thanks Guitarfxr. I come to this forum mainly looking for sound advice and suggestions, but I wouldn't mind feedback on my stand up as well.

Actually, the video I posted above is quite significant for me. It's from the Funniest federal employee contest here in Washington DC (official site: funniestfed.com) that's been going on since early May. I was in the 1st round, and with the set I did on that date (from which the video is), I advanced to the semi finals which are happening tonight.

Normally, comedy contests put together by local comedians or comedy clubs aren't too big a deal, but this one got a lot of press for its concept. So there's a clip of me also up at Kaiser Permanente's contest site - funnyfeds.com (Kaiser permanente is an official sponsor) and also at the Washington Post's website too. Last Sunday, there was an article about us and this contest:

Here's a link to the article if you're interested in reading:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsa...ny/gallery.html

If you like me (or any of the other comedians), you can vote for one of us there too. Here's the link to the poll:

http://polls.washingtonpost.com/cgi-bin/mu...unniestfed.poll

(Sweet, At the current time of this writing, I'm in the lead :thank_you2: )

But hey, if anyone can help give me advice on volume control with the MZ-RH1 sooner rather than later, it would be much appreciated because tonight I'm recording the semifinals and would like to get perfect sound.

Edited by srizvi1

you mean controlling the REC volume I think:

ON THE MAIN UNIT

>Move the Jog lever upwards for higher dB sensitivity

>Move the Jog lever downwards for lower dB sensitivity

ON THE REMOTE

(40ELK)

>Move either the Jog lever to the right or the scroll wheel upwards for higher dB sensitivity

>Move either the Jog lever to the left or the scroll wheel downwards for lower dB sensitivity

(35ELK/38EL)

>Move the Jog lever to the right for higher dB sensitivity

>Move the Jog lever to the left for lower dB sensitivity

N.B. then there's also a main Mic-in Sensitivity (LOW or HIGH) in the recording settings in the main menu (MENU/DISPLAY knob ON THE MAIN UNIT pressed-in for more than 2.3 seconds to enter the menu), but you were using a battery module to line-in; so this is unnecessary for now.

REMINDER

>changing PLAYBACK (earphone monitoring) volume whilst recording DOESN'T affect the REC volume...

I didn't have any luck with this last Wednesday when I tried. Also, the sound was just coming in too low at just 1 block to 2 blocks on the meters. I connected to the mic input instead of the line inand I was getting real strong mic activity. I'm going to post some of the sound from there on here a little later on.

Is it even possible to control mic volume on line in on the RH1? maybe this is strictly for the mic input.. although, I couldn't really figure out how to control recording volume on there neither.

" The census is so Ghetto, we dont even have .gov addresses , we're on like Hotmail and stuff, gs13luver@hotmail.com...... "

Riot .... your delivery is a lot more relaxed than some of the other guys , If you only knew how many English speakers play dumb when the census guys came around .

( My wife is Japanese ) stories man stories ...to friggin funny .

" The census is so Ghetto, we dont even have .gov addresses , we're on like Hotmail and stuff, gs13luver@hotmail.com...... "

Riot .... your delivery is a lot more relaxed than some of the other guys , If you only knew how many English speakers play dumb when the census guys came around .

( My wife is Japanese ) stories man stories ...to friggin funny .

Haha.. thanks for the feedback Guitarfxr. I'll be uploading some more clips soon. Since May, my Sound Professionals Mini battery module seems to have crapped out and I haven't gotten around to looking into getting it fixed. I finally just sent soundprofessionals an email. Hopefully it's something simple - a part of me is scared that it could be something like the line in of the Minidisc recorder (how could I check that?)

Once I get my minidisc recorder back, I'll start posting more clips again.

I still can't figure out how to get volume louder. Maybe with the line-in there's no volume control? The sound is definitely richer from the minidisc than the built in mic on my camera, but it's also quieter.

Shahryar

I still can't figure out how to get volume louder. Maybe with the line-in there's no volume control?

First you need to go into the REC SET menu. With a disc in the unit, press REC and PAUSE at the same time and the display will blink. Hold down Menu, click up to REC SET, click down to REC VOLUME, switch from AUTO to MANUAL. Then you'll have control over incoming level with the controls from the wizard of oz.

One advantage of the RH1 is that you only have to do this once and it will become the default setting until you change it.

First you need to go into the REC SET menu. With a disc in the unit, press REC and PAUSE at the same time and the display will blink. Hold down Menu, click up to REC SET, click down to REC VOLUME, switch from AUTO to MANUAL. Then you'll have control over incoming level with the controls from the wizard of oz.

One advantage of the RH1 is that you only have to do this once and it will become the default setting until you change it.

Thanks for the advice A440. Once I get my Minidisc setup in full swing again, I'll follow this.

Shahryar

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread. Since then, I've never really used the MZ-RH1 the way I wanted to. What I've been doing over the years is:

- using the mic I got from Giant Squid Audio Lab (http://www.giant-squid-audio-lab.com/gs/gs-micline1.html) - the connection in the mic slot

- rec level set to 06

- the mic on my collar near my neck

- Minidisc recorder in back pocket

The sound will usually be good but the problem is that when audience laughs, the sound will break up.

With my Canon HV20 camcorder, I'll use my AT-822 mic. I've never tried to combine the sounds that I got from my minidisc into the video's sound.

Lately I've noticed that the sound keeps going in and out like something's loose. I don't know if the mic jack of my RH1 has gone bad or if there's something wrong on the mic's end. I have a show tonight and instead of keeping the minidisc on me, maybe I'll use my AT-822 directly with my MZ-RH1 (Since I Don't have my camcorder on me anyways to record video). Debating on using the Mic (Plug in power) jack and using the Line in (opt) jack instead after seeing this thread:

Over the next few days, I'll try and post some samples of recordings where you can hear the crowd getting to loud causing the problems I've mentioned. I'll see if I can find any good recordings that have video to match.