Sony Insider Forums
unignal

Buying LIP-4WM

Rate this topic

I'm using DH10P and am considering buying an extra batt. I checked with the local sony spare parts service and was told I could get one for S$81 (around USD50).

Thats pretty expensive! So i check out ebay and was shocked to discover that these batteries are going cheap!

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?c...-4WM&category0=

Are these reliable? Also, how do i ship them to Singapore?

A few forum members have purchased those LIP4WM coming from China and haven't had any problems with them ... yet. No one is currently for certain if these China-based LIP4WM are crappy like some of the China-based, fake NiMH gumsticks. Your best bet is to contact those eBay sellers and ask if they ship to Singapore. Good luck.

They are probably cheap knockoffs - ie. pirated copies. Just like the "New and Sealed" gameboy advanced games I got through an online etailer last week. They work fine and the games are out of print, so I don't feel any guilt (I would rather buy the real thing if they were in production)...well, not much.

So what to expect? Probably a battery that will have (at best) half the life-expectancy of the real battery. It that worth $5.00. Maybe so, but I haven't been willing to take the chance yet. Anyone else?

They are probably cheap knockoffs - ie. pirated copies. Just like the "New and Sealed" gameboy advanced games I got through an online etailer last week. They work fine and the games are out of print, so I don't feel any guilt (I would rather buy the real thing if they were in production)...well, not much.

So what to expect? Probably a battery that will have (at best) half the life-expectancy of the real battery. It that worth $5.00. Maybe so, but I haven't been willing to take the chance yet. Anyone else?

The thing is that, as opposed to pirated GBA games, a fake battery might damage the unit. Don't ask me how, I'm no expert, but I just think it could do smth...you know...inside :)

especially with NiMH batteries this damage can be caused by the battery swelling inside the unit so it gets stuck and even bends/breaks something or in a worst case scenario that the pressure gets high enough for the battery to burst and cause further damage

still, I dunno if LiIon could act the same...

seems like the most reliable way is to fork out 50bucks for a (definitely) geniue replacement?

sigh.

seems like the most reliable way is to fork out 50bucks for a (definitely) geniue replacement?

sigh.

Either that or get another Hi-MD player that takes LIP-4WM's :D

Either that or get another Hi-MD player that takes LIP-4WM's

:lol: I did it :lol:

So did I.. ended up with 4 of them... :lol:

I ordered 3 batteries from the "China" seller on Ebay (one by itself a long time ago) and 2 more just recently. I haven't even charged the 2 latest yet, but I read positive thing about them via the Audio T-board so I'm taking the chance. I think $50 is ABSURD for one of those puppies.

Should any of these from China 'explode' or go bad, etc... I'll let you know, in the meantime I'll enjoy the savings.

The thing is that, as opposed to pirated GBA games, a fake battery might damage the unit. Don't ask me how, I'm no expert, but I just think it could do smth...you know...inside :)

Actually, a fake cart could just a easily damage a portable game machine. Too much resistance, too little, a short circuit in the cart, etc.

Should any of these from China 'explode' or go bad, etc... I'll let you know, in the meantime I'll enjoy the savings.

;) Hope you're using it in your DH10P that has the 2-year warranty. Thanks for being one of the brave, guinea-pig souls.

;) Hope you're using it in your DH10P that has the 2-year warranty. Thanks for being one of the brave, guinea-pig souls.

Somewhere between bravery and stupidity, or sheer frugalness I may win in the end :D

I'm right there with you TBR. The cost savings makes the "fake" batteries too good to pass up. I've had no issues with the two I purchased and they've been in regular rotation for about two months.

not buying the originals *may* meant a certain death for my precious DH10P. hehe.

i don't know if i wanna try the ebay thing with my new RH1..

Does anyone know the life expectancy with these batteries?

Hi all.

Just got my RH1 and asked about a spare battery.

It seems that Sony UK stock these as a spare part, not an accessory.

Spare parts are more expensive.

I've been told the price is £58 + tax = £68. Thats over $120.

Any suggestions for suppliers or alternative ways of powering the RH1?

I bought two LIP-4WM batteries on eBay at a significantly lower price. I do not know if they are fakes or just OEM batteries, but they work as well as the batteries that came with my HiMD gear.

I bought two LIP-4WM batteries on eBay at a significantly lower price. I do not know if they are fakes or just OEM batteries, but they work as well as the batteries that came with my HiMD gear.

Hello AllanH and everyone,

Line Make & Description Model

SONY Qty 1 PRICE 28.36 TOTAL 28.36

BATTERY (LIP-4WM)

The above is what I was quoted from Sony spare parts office in Melton Mowbray. Not got my RH1 yet, but will probably get my battery from the official place. I wouldn't dare touch Ebay with a barge pole, had enough misery through crap stuff!! Contact details:-

Accessories (as originally supplied with the product) can be purchased from:

SEME Limited

Hudson Road

Melton Mowbray

Leicestershire

LE13 1BS

Telephone: 0870 240 6354

Fax: 01664 563 976

email: sony@seme.co.uk

Cheers.

I wouldn't dare touch Ebay with a barge pole, had enough misery through crap stuff!! Contact details:-

Well I even buy my barge poles on Ebay... no problems. As long as you watch feedback history of sellers and use a lot of common sense, it's a great alternative.

But still thanks for your info, that still is a great price!

Well I even buy my barge poles on Ebay... no problems.

lol

How were your batteries packaged? Do they have that plastic carrying case?

Mine didn't come with the plastic cases.

Mine did not come in the cases either, but this was the seller's response when I asked "liebflea" about that before bidding:

"Only a battery in a clearn plastic bag.but we guarantee they are original new products,not used.please check the picture,what you see is what you get."

Whatever... I use them, they seem fine to me.

Thanks everyone.

It sounds like the wires have got mixed up inside Sony UK (giving them the benefit of the doubt).

I'm nervous things that look too good to be true on ebay, so I'll be giving SEME a call.

Regards

Allan