Shuffle mode on rh-1

Rate this topic

dogville

I know I've asked this before but when hardly anybody had a rh-1. Now that a lot of people seem to have it, can you please tell me if the shuffle mode let's you play randomly but without repeating any song twice?. Somebody told me there were a mode in which they don't repeat more than once. As far as the brochure is concerned there are 4 posibilites but I see no clear answer to my question on them.

1/ All tracks repeat (all tracks on the disc are play repeatedly)

2/ Single-track repeat (the selected track is play repeatedly)

3/ Shuffle repeat (All tracks in the disc are played in random order repeatedly)

4/ A-B repeat play

I don't see anything which says there's a mode where songs only repeat once in random mode :unsure::mega_shok:

thank you very much indeed

Edited by dogville

I know I've asked this before but when hardly anybody had a rh-1. Now that a lot of people seem to have it, can you please tell me if the shuffle mode let's you play randomly but without repeating any song twice?. Somebody told me there were a mode in which they don't repeat more than once. As far as the brochure is concerned there are 4 posibilites but I see no clear answer to my question on them.

1/ All tracks repeat (all tracks on the disc are play repeatedly)

2/ Single-track repeat (the selected track is play repeatedly)

3/ Shuffle repeat (All tracks in the disc are played in random order repeatedly)

4/ A-B repeat play

I don't see anything which says there's a mode where songs only repeat once in random mode :unsure::mega_shok:

thank you very much indeed

I also have a RH1 and I can confirm that it plays the tracks in shuffle mode repeatedly. The only recorder that plays tracks in shuffle mode only once is the NH1.

Cheers

minidisc_fan

I also have a RH1 and I can confirm that it plays the tracks in shuffle mode repeatedly. The only recorder that plays tracks in shuffle mode only once is the NH1.

Cheers

minidisc_fan

What a big disappointment for me. I love playing songs radomly and I hate to listen to a song when I have listened to it a couple of songs ago. I don't understand why sony have left out this posibility like in the NH1. I'm afraid, with all the pain in my heart, that I will think it over before buying the rh-1 :shout::shout::shout:

Some would say it is a stupid reason for not buying it; but I consider shuffle mode the most useful function on a music player. What a shame !

cheers

pd. I'm thinking seriously of buying a NH-1. Can anybody tell me about this one?. I see it has HD digital amp like the RH-1.

Any good reviews from the poople who own it?

Edited by dogville

What a big disappointment for me. I love playing songs radomly and I hate to listen to a song when I have listened to it a couple of songs ago. I don't understand why sony have left out this posibility like in the NH1. I'm afraid, with all the pain in my heart, that I will think it over before buying the rh-1 :shout::shout::shout:

Some would say it is a stupid reason for not buying it; but I consider shuffle mode the most useful function on a music player. What a shame !

cheers

pd. I'm thinking seriously of buying a NH-1. Can anybody tell me about this one?. I see it has HD digital amp like the RH-1.

I own the NH1 and it's an excellent unit, very small and light, very good sound quality and it almost has the same features as the RH1 (i.e. date time stamp, mic in, and recording mode in legacy SP, LP and the Hi-MD modes). The advancement of the RH1 is that is almost completely free of DRM restrictions, you can therefore upload your old MDs to PC. But if that's not so important for you, I would go with the NH1.

I must say that I have not used the shuffle mode on my NH900 nor on my RH1 nor on any other music playback device I own (except for shuffling between entire albums in iTunes) now that's a feature I would love to see on a portable player: being able to set shuffle to album level so I can listen to the entire album, but which album is selected randomly...

cheers

there r at least one difference regarding sound reproduction. sony japan website states that the capacity of capacitors used in rh1 is double of previous models and thus produce deeper and tighter bass. i dun hv nh1 so i cant tell the difference but i hv dh10p and i can tell rh1 sounds better.

Edited by littlecx

So what you are saying is that the RH1 when just shuffle is selected as the play mode repeats the tracks?

Therefore when you have both Shuffle Mode and Repeat selected what does it do? The same thing? Doesn't sound right..

minidisc_fan has confirmed that it plays the tracks in shuffle mode repeatedly. He has one rh-1 so I guess he is sure of what he is saying. I'm still disapponinted after I knew shuffle mode didn't have the chance to listen in shuffle without repetition; the rh-1 were almost perfect before I knew that :( . Now I'm thinking of buying a rh-10 which plays randomly without repetition.

sad regards to all ;)

So what you are saying is that the RH1 when just shuffle is selected as the play mode repeats the tracks?

Therefore when you have both Shuffle Mode and Repeat selected what does it do? The same thing? Doesn't sound right..

Maybe you want to confirm that for all of us too... just in case :rolleyes:

;)

This is my understanding of this issue (I have the RH1) but please, others feel free to correct me if I am off base:

While the Shuffle mode is also a repeat mode, the songs on the disc will not repeat until you have shuffled through them all. This is like Repeat All but the All in this case are shuffled through instead of being played one after the other in order.

So, let's say you have a full Hi-MD of ~240 songs. Would not setting the repeat mode to Shuffle Repeat first shuffle through all 240 songs one time each before repeating any song via the next shuffle through the disc?

If this is so, then for my money, a Shuffle Repeat is, for all intents and purposes, the same as Shuffle alone and shouldn't make much of a difference. There is no way I'd be listening straight through hundreds of songs until the songs would repeat. I have had the unit for a few days now. I almost always shuffle tracks on the player I am listening to. As for the RH1, I have yet to hear any repeated tracks within a single shuffle.

Anyway, despite some fidgety controls on the unit itself (The FF switch on the player sometimes has to be pressed just right for it to work reliably), I am very happy with the RH1. It is great to look at (I have Black) and feels great in the hand. The MP3 playback quality is head and shoulders above any prior Hi-MD unit I have heard. This is a truly noticeable difference and not just one that you can only see via charts or graphs.

And while I have not been much for live recordings, I just appreciate fine quality electronics, it is always nice to have this ability with the least restrictions for MD to date.

All I can say is don't let Shuffle sour you on the RH1. I feel it is the best Hi-MD recorder/player out there and worth the price.

This is my understanding of this issue (I have the RH1) but please, others feel free to correct me if I am off base:

While the Shuffle mode is also a repeat mode, the songs on the disc will not repeat until you have shuffled through them all. This is like Repeat All but the All in this case are shuffled through instead of being played one after the other in order.

So, let's say you have a full Hi-MD of ~240 songs. Would not setting the repeat mode to Shuffle Repeat first shuffle through all 240 songs one time each before repeating any song via the next shuffle through the disc?

If this is so, then for my money, a Shuffle Repeat is, for all intents and purposes, the same as Shuffle alone and shouldn't make much of a difference. There is no way I'd be listening straight through hundreds of songs until the songs would repeat. I have had the unit for a few days now. I almost always shuffle tracks on the player I am listening to. As for the RH1, I have yet to hear any repeated tracks within a single shuffle.

Anyway, despite some fidgety controls on the unit itself (The FF switch on the player sometimes has to be pressed just right for it to work reliably), I am very happy with the RH1. It is great to look at (I have Black) and feels great in the hand. The MP3 playback quality is head and shoulders above any prior Hi-MD unit I have heard. This is a truly noticeable difference and not just one that you can only see via charts or graphs.

And while I have not been much for live recordings, I just appreciate fine quality electronics, it is always nice to have this ability with the least restrictions for MD to date.

All I can say is don't let Shuffle sour you on the RH1. I feel it is the best Hi-MD recorder/player out there and worth the price.

Very good reply! Couldn't of said it better myself. Just reiterating what was just said, whats the point of downgrading just because of one niky-picky feature? You're just paying more for (ALOT!) less if you downgrade and missing out the oppertunity to own probably Sony's best MD product.

Sorry for being public about this, but RH1 bashers are now getting on my nerves, and you know who you are. Nothing personally against you, but you're bashing the RH1 for all the wrong reasons.

Sorry for being public about this, but RH1 bashers are now getting on my nerves, and you know who you are. Nothing personally against you, but you're bashing the RH1 for all the wrong reasons.

I don't know if you refer to dogville (me) or to Lbz8's words.

Lbz8 please, be so kind to do me a favour. Record 5 songs and listen to them in shuffle mode. Tell me if the machine stops when playing the last one or if it repeats some. As for the quality of the rh-1, I have no doubt it is a gorgeous machine.

Thank you very much

Edited by dogville

Lbz8 please, be so kind to do me a favour. Record 5 songs and listen to them in shuffle mode. Tell me if the machine stops when playing the last one or if it repeats some. As for the quality of the rh-1, I have no doubt it is a gorgeous machine.

Thank you very much

Dogville:

Unless someone beats me to it, I will try your suggestion and let you know what I discover tomorrow.

And for my own interest, let's say we are dealing with a small number of tracks listenable in one sitting. If the Shuffle setting does end up repeating after shuffling through all 5 tracks once each, why would that be a problem. I am not saying it shouldn't be to some, but I am just curious why. I mean, by first shuffling through all tracks, why would it matter that it would try shuffling through the same list again when it finished the first pass without stopping?

Lbz8

Well I listened to my new RH1 on the weekend with a full Hi-MD in there (over 300+ songs) and listened to it on Shuffle. There was no repeats at all.

I even tried this test that was mentioned (before it was mentioned!) and tried a shuffle with just 4 trax...they did not repeat..

Odd I know...

Dogville:

Unless someone beats me to it, I will try your suggestion and let you know what I discover tomorrow.

And for my own interest, let's say we are dealing with a small number of tracks listenable in one sitting. If the Shuffle setting does end up repeating after shuffling through all 5 tracks once each, why would that be a problem. I am not saying it shouldn't be to some, but I am just curious why. I mean, by first shuffling through all tracks, why would it matter that it would try shuffling through the same list again when it finished the first pass without stopping?

Lbz8

Oh, it's not important if the minidisc doesn't stop after playing the five songs and play them again without stopping. If you say that the rh-1 can play songs once in shuffle mode, that's more than enough for me. Maybe I misunderstood the words of another poster who told here it repeated them.

Thanks so much indeed

Well I listened to my new RH1 on the weekend with a full Hi-MD in there (over 300+ songs) and listened to it on Shuffle. There was no repeats at all.

I even tried this test that was mentioned (before it was mentioned!) and tried a shuffle with just 4 trax...they did not repeat..

Odd I know...

Why odd? ;)

Thank you very much

As others have seemed to try it, I did do as requested, just took a HI-MD of 5 tracks, set the play mode to Normal and repeat mode to Shuffle and found, as I surmised, that all 5 tracks are played once through in a shuffled playlist. The tracks are then played again, also one time through, in a different shuffled playlist. This can then go on and on in this same way.

So yes, the shuffle mode will not stop after shuffling all the tracks - it will go back and repeat the list. However, before it does so, it will definitely play all tracks in a shuffled manner one by one, hitting each track once, before repeating the process.

Sounds like a fine shuffle mode to me and certainly nothing to keep one from grabbing this fine unit when they can.

As others have seemed to try it, I did do as requested, just took a HI-MD of 5 tracks, set the play mode to Normal and repeat mode to Shuffle and found, as I surmised, that all 5 tracks are played once through in a shuffled playlist. The tracks are then played again, also one time through, in a different shuffled playlist. This can then go on and on in this same way.

So yes, the shuffle mode will not stop after shuffling all the tracks - it will go back and repeat the list. However, before it does so, it will definitely play all tracks in a shuffled manner one by one, hitting each track once, before repeating the process.

Sounds like a fine shuffle mode to me and certainly nothing to keep one from grabbing this fine unit when they can.

Thanks Lbz8. I'm happy to read your words. For me, it's a fine shuffle mode too, so this topic is over as far as I'm concerned :D .

Regards ;)

Edited by dogville

Cheers

minidisc_fan

i have a 2003 model net md mz-n510 that does the shuffle like you said playing each song only one time unless you put it on repeat. i love the feature its awesome and very hard to find on any type of unit.

i have a 2003 model net md mz-n510 that does the shuffle like you said playing each song only one time unless you put it on repeat. i love the feature its awesome and very hard to find on any type of unit.

Again I am curious to hear from those who seem to indicate this form of shuffle to be valuable. Why does shuffling through dozens if not hundreds of tracks and then stopping make it any better a "feature" than doing the exact same thing but then simply starting a new shuffle order after finishing the first pass without stopping?

I think it comes down to the fact that people are confused and still think the RH1 repeats songs within a single shuffle - that is, playing songs more than once before playing a song even once. But that is not the case. The RH1, exactly like these other MD units mentioned, plays each track once and only once in a shuffle. What the RH1 then does is not stop but rather continues to play the entire playlist again, this time in a different shuffled order, but again each track once and only once.

Again I am curious to hear from those who seem to indicate this form of shuffle to be valuable. Why does shuffling through dozens if not hundreds of tracks and then stopping make it any better a "feature" than doing the exact same thing but then simply starting a new shuffle order after finishing the first pass without stopping?

I think it comes down to the fact that people are confused and still think the RH1 repeats songs within a single shuffle - that is, playing songs more than once before playing a song even once. But that is not the case. The RH1, exactly like these other MD units mentioned, plays each track once and only once in a shuffle. What the RH1 then does is not stop but rather continues to play the entire playlist again, this time in a different shuffled order, but again each track once and only once.

You must admit, the battery would last more if the machine stopped :rolleyes:.Whatever it is, I have reserved mine and will be in my hands by middle July :P

cheers

• 4 months later...

Odd I know...

Maybe your rh-1 is different from mine. I've been listening to 60 tracks this morning and, to my unpleasant surprise, I listened to the same song "3 times in 10 minutes". Why on earth sony has left out the possiblitiy of listening ramdom songs once.

SONY LET US UPDATE THE FIRMWARE AND FIX THIS AWFUL FUNCTION !!! :angry:

regards

Edited by dogville

The random shuffle on mine has been top notch so far. Think I have gone through about two eight hour discs with no repeats.

Does anyone know if it's possible to select some songs as a playlist and play only thesong in the playlist on shuffle??

i can say that shuffle works beautifully for me, i haven't heard the same song more than once through my entire session. and i am confused, do you already own a RH1 or are you planning to buy one? or did you just recently get it?

Yes, I own a RH-1, but maybe I'm the lucky one who owns the only RH-1 that repeats the same track on shuffle mode LOL.

GRRRRRRRRRR !!!!