How to use SonicStage to back up your recordings

Rate this topic

greenmachine

Hints on how to back up your recordings

This method describes how to back up your own recordings (real time recordings from mic-in or line-in) properly so that the files are usable on any OS installation, not just the installation where they've been originally uploaded to. By default, every uploaded file is automatically copy protected. You need to remove this protection to be able to use the files on any computer. This is the procedure (use SonicStage 3.2 or later):

Backing up PCM recordings is simple:

• upload your recording
  • save in wav format (right click, save in wav format, choose your folder)
  • apply some kind of lossless compression if you want
  • back it up to your favorite medium
  • you can then delete the remaining files from Sonicstage's library

Backing up Hi-SP or Hi-LP files is more tricky:

• Upload your recording
  • Convert the uploaded files in the library to the same codec / bitrate while unchecking the "add copy protection" box (right click, convert format, atrac3plus 256kbps for Hi-SP files or atrac3plus 64kbps for Hi-LP files). This will (without actually re-encoding) free the files from DRM, which is stupidly applied to every uploaded file by default.
post-6863-1184317713_thumb.pngpost-6863-1184317722_thumb.png

Or, if you have a lot of files, this method may be more convenient:

• In SonicStage, go the the menu "Tools" and select "Start File Conversion Tool".
  • If it opens up, click Next and then UNSELECT both options ('Delete Files' and 'Add DRM'). Click Next and the tool will start converting all drm-ed files to non-drm-ed files.
post-6863-1184317729_thumb.png

Finally:

• Search for the "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\SonicStage\Packages\Optimized Files" folder. The files you need are in there. Create a desktop shortcut for your convenience.
  • Back up the files to your medium of choice
  • Alternatively, if you don't trust the ATRAC format and can spare the additional disk space for decompressed lossy files, use the same method as for backing up PCM files.
Edited by greenmachine

Probably worth noting that MarC's Hi-MD Renderer can be used to convert the OMA files after releasing them from DRM.

The version in the downloads section here isn't the most recent version though. The most recent version can be d/l at MarC's site here: http://www.marcnetsystem.co.uk/

Edited by raintheory

Backing up Hi-SP or Hi-LP files is more tricky:

- convert the uploaded files in the library to the same codec / bitrate while unchecking the "add copy protection" box (right click, convert format, atrac3plus 256kbps for Hi-SP files or atrac3plus 64kbps for Hi-LP files). This will (without actually re-encoding) free the files from DRM, which is stupidly applied to every uploaded file by default.

If you have a lot of files, this way may be more convenient:

In SonicStage, go the the menu "Tools" and select "Start File Conversion Tool".

If it opens up, click Next and then UNSELECT both options ('Delete Files' and 'Add DRM'). Click Next and the tool will start converting all drm-ed files to non-drm-ed files.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry I still dont quite get this. I have a load of FLAC files on my computer that I got from ripping my CDs. To get them onto MDs (MZ-RH10) I use dbPower AMP Music Converter to convert them to WAVs which I then import in Sonicstage. I then would have thought that I could use the transfer button to send these to the MD as ATRAC Files (I either use 256 or 356kbps). It does this but ADDS COPY PROTECTION (can be transferred to the original computer only... ARRGHHH).

I then try what was said above, I convert the WAVs in this folder (I have no library of ATRAC Files; I convert, transfer and then delete the WAVs and converted files - Oh if only Sonicstage could use FLACs) to ATRACs using the computer first since this gives me the option of not having copy protection. This, annoyingly, gives me 2 file types for each file (WAV and ATRAC) and the automatic seems to be WAV. The only way I can see to get round this is to delete all the files from my library and reimport the ATRACs from the "Package" folder.

I right click on each file and select properties and it says for copy protection "None". Bingo! Transfer "as is" to the MD and I have DRM free MDs. Except, of course, I dont because Sonicstage is a piece of crap! I right click on the newly transferred file and it says "Can be transferred to the original computer" rather than any computer.

THIS IS SO ANNOYING! What can I do???

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question but this just kind of surprised me-- is it still the default, even in SonicStage 4.0+, to add DRM to your own uploaded files? I did a test and uploaded some of my own PCM recordings (made on an RH1 through mic in) and tried to move the OMA files to a different PC and they wouldn't play, and they all say "Copy protection: available" in their file properties, both on the original PC and on the one I am copying to.

For some reason I thought the DRM wasn't added to your own recordings uploaded to PC, is this incorrect? Maybe I am getting it confused with the ability to STRIP DRM... but I don't know. Since the sticky only mentions 3.4, and a lot of behaviour changed with 4.0, I thought I'd ask. Is there a setting to change this, or do you just always need to be careful to strip the DRM/convert to WAV to protect your ability to use the file? (gotta love copy protection on your own stuff...)

Is the only pre-transfer option you can set to not include DRM for stuff you rip from CD? (and everything else gets it whether you want it to or not?)

Edited by Justin42

I have just tried this by using SS4.2 with a short PCM and Hi-SP sample. In the properties->file info it still says "copy protection: available" in both cases directly after upload, whereas for the converted file it reads: "copy protection: none". So, yes, DRM is still applied by default for your own uploaded recordings. (come on, Sony). I can't find an option to change this behavior. Maybe someone else can?

Edited by greenmachine

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread (but most of these are). Anyway, I have also experienced the slow SP upload issue with my MZ-M200. Keep in mind however I had been unknowingly using a bunch of other Sony units with the (3.4) software in question, as well as on the same USB connection - namely a Net MD player, a Psyc, and a Sony Bean.

The main reason I still used the Net MD even though I have a M200 is because I thought I would be doing the 200 a favor by using the Net MD as much as posible, for example, when making Atrac3 discs and such (for car deck use). But judging by the time it takes to upload SP...I was putting unecessary wear on the 200!

So at this point I am still confused after reading the thread...that it may or may not cause driver (slow)issues if I continue to do this, even if I keep the HI-MD unit on its own USB cable/port. Also, what about the other players - as they too use their own driver?

On an somewhat unrelated SS note, I read several conflicting things about this too...

I have a new computer and am about to install SS 4.3. I have read that I will have issues getting the old (3.4) ATRAC / library files to work from my other computer when I transfer them to the new one. Bottom line, what is the most straightforward way to do this. I read something about having to "register" them...and something else totally different. Please advise! I had planned to simply use my old HD as my D: and simply import the old stuff...but I am sure it won't be that easy, lol.

The best way to get yr recordings from one PC to another (this is also good practice anyway) is to remove DRM from the recordings: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16088

After doing so, you will be able to freely move them from PC to PC, archive, etc. with no problems.

Also, I would recommend using SonicStage 4.2 unless you are running Vista. Plenty of members here (myself included) have experienced a multitude of different problems with 4.3 on operating systems other than Vista. The only thing 4.3 has over 4.2 that I am aware of is Vista compatibility, so you won't miss out on any added functionality by using 4.2

Edited by raintheory

The best way to get yr recordings from one PC to another (this is also good practice anyway) is to remove DRM from the recordings: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=16088

After doing so, you will be able to freely move them from PC to PC, archive, etc. with no problems.

Also, I would recommend using SonicStage 4.2 unless you are running Vista. Plenty of members here (myself included) have experienced a multitude of different problems with 4.3 on operating systems other than Vista. The only thing 4.3 has over 4.2 that I am aware of is Vista compatibility, so you won't miss out on any added functionality by using 4.2

Will I need to find a complete install file to add 4.2? BTW, I run 2000 Pro on one computer, and XP on the new one, so sure, 4.3 is probably not a good idea.

Edited by MDane

I got 4.2 up and running after finally finding the 4.2 complete file.

Anyway, when I went through the process above, attempting the format conversion, a message said "Playback is not allowed. The file format may not be supported by SonicStage." That's BS...as these are files that were in SS 3.4 before! When I tried to use the file conversion tool, I got something very similar.

The weird thing is that I seem to be able to access the tracks that originated from CD without even doing a conversion, but all of my ATRAC files uploaded by the M200 will not do anything, in any way.

Any ideas?

I got 4.2 up and running after finally finding the 4.2 complete file.

Anyway, when I went through the process above, attempting the format conversion, a message said "Playback is not allowed. The file format may not be supported by SonicStage." That's BS...as these are files that were in SS 3.4 before! When I tried to use the file conversion tool, I got something very similar.

The weird thing is that I seem to be able to access the tracks that originated from CD without even doing a conversion, but all of my ATRAC files uploaded by the M200 will not do anything, in any way.

Any ideas?

Update: After studying nearly all of the posts in this forum section until I got a migraine...and I may have found my issue. The files I am having issues with were uploaded via M200. However, I didn't do the DRM stripping process as described here in post 1. Now that I have a new computer...plus a new installtion of SS 4.2, I am guessing that the raw files will simply not import and work properly. Thoughts?

Luckily if this is the case, I can still re-upload most of the files in question...and at least do the DRM stipping this time...as I had no idea about that previously.

Yeah you can check REALLY easily - just do a search for .oma (case sensitive). The converted ones are *.OMA

Stephen

So there's no known "restore" software for the "locked" files at this point?

If not, I guess I will go back and see how many locked files I have where I no longer have the original source to re-upload. If I deem it worth the trouble, I guess I could take the old HD in question and install it in another computer...getting it running at least well enough to start SS again...apply DRM stripping, and then transfer the newly rendered files.

A couple more DRM stripping Q's:

1. If I delete the "non-optimized" files from the original transfer (to save HD space) as mentioned in this thread earlier, will this effect SS negatively? Why does SS keep both versions?

2. I notice all of the new (optimized) files are sitting in the folder randomly (not grouped in any way). How in the heck can one make sense of them when they have quite a few? In other words, say I want to transfer them to a second computer...wouldn't I have a bunch of random songs more less - and have to sort through them to put them back in groups, etc.?

• 2 weeks later...

AFAIK you'll need to have the same Windows install as well. It won't work of you install Windows again (even the same version) .

While I know this problem is gone with the latest version of SS. But if I was going with a ATRAC player, and wanted a ATRAC library. I wouldn't stick with a proprietary format like ATRAC . I'd go with FLAC, or WMA Lossless on a big Hard disk and make a copy of it in ATRAC for my ATRAC player. SS supports WMA Lossless for example, so you could rip to a lossy format when transferring to the player.

Exactly which version do you consider "the latest"? And in what sense is it "gone"? Currently I run the SS file conversion about once per month to make all the new .oma files into .OMA files, with version 4.3

Or maybe I missed some other way that you can avoid these hassles. We all know what it's like when a HD goes down, and very annoying when you haven't backed it up - even more annoying when the backup is braindead.

Currently I run the SS file conversion about once per month to make all the new .oma files into .OMA files, with version 4.3. Or maybe I missed some other way that you can avoid these hassles.

Yes, that would be great if there is such a way. Anyway, I have now been "optimizing" my uploads recently with my latest 4.2 install...but still haven't gotten my old files back from the other HD yet however.

Anyway, although the new OMA files are in the folder...if I delete the originals (small oma) I no longer have access to them via SS...and if I try to point to the new version of the file, it will not work. What gives?

BTW: Still waiting to see if anyone has any answers to my Q's in post #24, hint hint.

Exactly which version do you consider "the latest"? And in what sense is it "gone"? Currently I run the SS file conversion about once per month to make all the new .oma files into .OMA files, with version 4.3

Or maybe I missed some other way that you can avoid these hassles. We all know what it's like when a HD goes down, and very annoying when you haven't backed it up - even more annoying when the backup is braindead.

I meant to say the later versions. Latest is 4.3, but 4.2 is fine. I meant in these version you can turn off the DRM lock on files. So you can move them freely from machine to machine. I'm not sure but I think its only for new files. Not files already locked on another machine.

Edited by Sparky191

So there's no known "restore" software for the "locked" files at this point?

If not, I guess I will go back and see how many locked files I have where I no longer have the original source to re-upload. If I deem it worth the trouble, I guess I could take the old HD in question and install it in another computer...getting it running at least well enough to start SS again...apply DRM stripping, and then transfer the newly rendered files.

A couple more DRM stripping Q's:

1. If I delete the "non-optimized" files from the original transfer (to save HD space) as mentioned in this thread earlier, will this effect SS negatively? Why does SS keep both versions?

2. I notice all of the new (optimized) files are sitting in the folder randomly (not grouped in any way). How in the heck can one make sense of them when they have quite a few? In other words, say I want to transfer them to a second computer...wouldn't I have a bunch of random songs more less - and have to sort through them to put them back in groups, etc.?

The "imported" files are in folders. The "optimized" ones are all in a single folder. In both cases, when I run the conversion tool, the .oma files disappear, and the .OMA files appear in their place (actually I fancy there is a rename).

I have no idea why SS would keep both the .oma and .OMA - I suspect this may be because someone either misconfigured SS or writeprotected the .oma files. Windows has a lot of trouble with case sensitive extensions and will see them as the same file anyway, so this may answer your question. When SS ends up making a duplicate (because for example you interrupted a group transfer or conversion) you will see (1) added to the file name main part (before the extension).

The database makes sense of them for you. If you reassign the Album of tracks, they will move around because their name changed to include the Album as part of the path name. When SS cannot make sense (because a component of the name is missing, eg untitled tracks uploaded) it sometimes puts in some identifier, like the time and date of the upload.

I may sound like an apologist for SS - but these kinds of things are all fairly obvious to me as I have written applications which catalogue files before, and these are the sorts of things you end up doing to make sure there are no name collisions.

Finally, there should be no need to ever keep any "optimized" files, since they are always secondary in nature and will be regenerated when you transfer again. Not sure what happens when you delete the file and SS doesn't know, though. Safest is to go through and delete them from the File Info tab of the properties dialog. Be careful, there's no confirmation prompt and if you delete an original, once it's gone, it's gone. I have sometimes had to mess with this when SS got confused because there were too many copies of a file and in my attempt to clean up I deleted the one it had the reference to, rather than the one it had forgotten about. Then you get strange messages about files not registered to SonicStage.

Note, of course, that the file conversion tool will probably not remove DRM from any file that it didn't generate, eg downloads. The only reasonable way to deal with those is to play them back, capturing the sound with external MD or CoolEdit/Audition/WaveRecorder/TotalRecorder, make a wave file and save that. I'm pretty sure you can do that, so it makes kindof a mockery of DRM anyway. Maybe that's why we are all supposed to move to Vista, to prevent this from being possible :)

1. The "imported" files are in folders. The "optimized" ones are all in a single folder. In both cases, when I run the conversion tool, the .oma files disappear, and the .OMA files appear in their place (actually I fancy there is a rename).

2. Note, of course, that the file conversion tool will probably not remove DRM from any file that it didn't generate, eg downloads.

1. I guess I need to try the conversion tool rather than doing it the way I have been...by right clicking the song(s) in question, and choosing "convert format". This is what has produced the phenom I mentioned above.

2. Yes, that is what I found to be the case. I was able to import the "alien" files, but not play or convert them.

Blog: If only Sony could have simply made a drag and drop scenario for their hardware!

It's a catch 22, as I have found no portable that holds a candle to the E105/107's, and I have a 10 year MD collection to boot - and love the mic recording of the M200. If nothing else I am learning a little more about computers (and stress).

Edited by MDane

• 9 months later...

Or, if you have a lot of files, this method may be more convenient:
  • In SonicStage, go the the menu "Tools" and select "Start File Conversion Tool".
  • If it opens up, click Next and then UNSELECT both options ('Delete Files' and 'Add DRM'). Click Next and the tool will start converting all drm-ed files to non-drm-ed files.

I understand why we want to UNSELECT 'Add DRM', but why would we want to UNSELECT 'Delete Files' ?

Thanks for your help !

Ming

Edited by mnmleung

I understand why we want to UNSELECT 'Add DRM', but why would we want to UNSELECT 'Delete Files' ?

Thanks for your help !

Ming

So that you still have your original files if something goes wrong during the process. After conversion, you may delete the files from SonicStage interface, though this is not a very pleasant process.

Actually this setting is meaningless when the conversion is replacing .oma by .OMA (in the same directory). The reason being that these file names are equivalent in Windows which is case-insensitive in its file names. Follow the train tracks, and you'll arrive at your destination :)

After conversion, you may delete the files from SonicStage interface, though this is not a very pleasant process.

Thanks Avrin. My XP pro box has BeyondCompare2 from Scooter. So it is relatively easy to see what is in the original folder and what is in the converted folder.

The only tricky thing is that I have moved folders and have moved albums around. I will definitely need to do an inventory first. Ming

My XP pro box has BeyondCompare2 from Scooter. So it is relatively easy to see what is in the original folder and what is in the converted folder.

Trouble is that simply deleting/movins/renaming files will lead to SonicStage errors caused by it not finding files registered in its database. So you have to manipulate tracks from its interface, for the database to be updated accordingly.