Sony MZ-RH1 finally popping up for sale

Webmaster

Thanks for the info on warranties...assuming the units are identically equipped as the US model, it looks to me like anyone in the US ordering from Minidisc-Canada could save a few bucks (perhaps at the expense of delivery time?), as the unit cost plus shipping to the US comes in at about $328 (US) vs. $330 plus shipping from either Minidisco or Sound Professionals. I guess that's an exchange rate thing?

...plus, Minidisc-Canada accepts PayPal.

Ran out today to the local SonyStore who just happened to have two. That's kind of odd since SonyStyle.ca doesn't even list the unit yet. I got mine fresh in the box and am quite satisfied with it, although the Macintosh support is no better than we already had with the M100 & M10 units--quite a shame they didn't add simple downloading to disk so I could put audio onto the unit quickly...

Nice piece of gear, and I'm going to order mine ASAP.

But I've been pondering the following questions:

- Is the Minidisc HiMD format really settled?

- Is this why no HiMD Home Decks have appeared?

- Is SONY working to incorporate Blu-Ray technology in the next generation of HiMD portable units before launching Home Decks?

Think of it: a 10 GB HiMD minidisc for under $6.00. It COULD happen! B)

Edited by chogaman

Does anyone have any experience with Minidisc-Cananda?

I ordered an RH1 last Thursday and was told it would go out Tues. So Far no tracking info and they never pick up the phone or return my voicemail.

I bought an NH1 from them last year and it took about a week to get to the Cayman Islands, you should have it soon, try e-mailing them, they are quick to answer.

Happy RH-1 ing,

Bob

In another thread in the forum, someone has been told by Sony that we have to wait until August. Please tell me this isn't so!!! LOL

That unfortunatly is so. I ordered one in june, they took the money out of my account, then told me it would be "a bit later than expected", i.e. August. So i got a refund. If i'm gonna be skint, i at least want to have the thing that's made me skint!!!

'Till then...

I ordered an RH1 last Thursday and was told it would go out Tues. So Far no tracking info and they never pick up the phone or return my voicemail.

Really, nothing?

I ordered on the 21st from them, wrote the next day to ask when they expected it to ship, and they said they'd ship friday or monday depending on what time their shipment came in, then I recieved notification of shipment from Canada Post on Friday morning. Though no updates have been posted to the tracking status since Friday. They do respond to e-mail relatively quickly-- let me know if you find anything out.

So far they are totally dropping the ball. I will give a recap in detail of how this went down at some point, but in short, they seem to have lost my order between when it was placed and when it was supposed to ship and now they don't know where it is and are not responding to voicemails or emails asking them to clue me in or allow me to cancel my order.

Mine was preordered in May and shipped the 22nd of June, I received tracking info from Canada Post, the subject line was something to the effect of "Event Notification / Avis d'activité". Postal service tracking information always seems bad. The US Postal Service tracking info is nearly worthless with Canadian Post seemingly the same.

Hi all,

Last week I bough the MZ-RH1 at Sony Store in Toronto (Yorkville mall). Several stores have 1 or 2 in stock, sometimes not on display and sale guys may not know that they actually have one. At the store where I bought my unit, the guy went to check in the back to see if it's in stock - and was willing to match the prize of Minidisk Canada (359 CAD)!

So if you want to get one, try calling or visiting the Sony stores and ask them to check their stock. As of last week, there were 2 units in the store at Square One and one in Markville... Good luck hunting!

Kartrait

So far they are totally dropping the ball. I will give a recap in detail of how this went down at some point, but in short, they seem to have lost my order between when it was placed and when it was supposed to ship and now they don't know where it is and are not responding to voicemails or emails asking them to clue me in or allow me to cancel my order.

I placed an order with MiniDisc Canada last Tuesday for an RH1 and some discs, all of which their site says ship the next business day. I received an "order processed" confirmation email the same day. After Thursday passed and I didn't receive a shipping notification, I emailed them asking for the status of my order. I can see that the order is in their system (status="processed") by logging on to my account on their webpage, so the order transaction hasn't been "lost". Since they hadn't responded to my email, I called them and left a message on their voicemail system yesterday. I'm still waiting for any type of response...I guess I'll be contacting my credit card company and looking elsewhere if I don't hear anything by tomorrow.

Anyone else with a similar experience with MiniDisc Canada?

Edited by dewi

I placed an order on June 28 from The Sound Professionals and expect to see delivery sometime next week. I was told that the second shipment will arrive Wed. or Thurs. of this week.

I kinda liked the $20 off the added microphone deal and picked up a mic type that I didn't already have.

I gotta have this machine now! It's just got to be the coolest MD recorder ever.

---

For those that have already taken delivery and have played with it a bit, I had a features question?

Is it true that the play mode is only selectable from the remote and not the unit's front button controls?

(pg. 43-44 of the manual).

MC

Anyone else with a similar experience with MiniDisc Canada?

I placed my RH1 order with MiniDisc Canada one day before you, dewi, and my experience has been exactly the same. I got the "transaction confirmation" email immediately, but that's all. My order status is "processed" when I log in and the charge has now appeared on my credit card, but I have no shipping notification and they won't answer my mail. It's disappointing because my last experience with them was very good.

I suspect that they ran out of stock, and rather than admit it they're just stringing us along, hoping for a new shipment in time to appease us. But, like you, if I don't at least get a response from them by tomorrow, I'll be asking my credit card company to reverse the charge. If my local Sony store still doesn't have them, I think I'll take my business to Sound Professionals. At least they seem honest about what they have and when they can deliver, and their prices and options for extras like mics and blanks seem pretty decent too.

-V.

"For those that have already taken delivery and have played with it a bit, I had a features question?

Is it true that the play mode is only selectable from the remote and not the unit's front button controls?

(pg. 43-44 of the manual)."

Yes it is true. You can play a disk using only the buttons on the machine, but you cannot set play mode that way. Many of the functions of this machine are accessible using the remote but not the recorder. Similarly many functions are accessible from the recorder but not the remote. The manual spells it out in detail.

I never used my remote with the previous machines I've owned, this one will force me to use the remote!

...I suspect that they ran out of stock, and rather than admit it they're just stringing us along, hoping for a new shipment in time to appease us. But, like you, if I don't at least get a response from them by tomorrow, I'll be asking my credit card company to reverse the charge. ...-V.

Well, I finally received an email response from MDC and also a Canada Post shipping notice email today. It's supposed to arrive by Thursday. I agree with your assessment Vesuvio -- I was also satisfied with my previous orders from MDC, so I was a little surprised at the long wait for a response.

Well, I finally received an email response from MDC and also a Canada Post shipping notice email today. It's supposed to arrive by Thursday. I agree with your assessment Vesuvio -- I was also satisfied with my previous orders from MDC, so I was a little surprised at the long wait for a response.

Yep, I finally got a response from MDC too (though still no tracking info :angry: ). They claim that Canada Post lost the item, which on one hand I'm inclined to believe, given that my recent history with Canada Post has been a nightmare. But on the other hand, it does seem odd that several of us are having exactly the same problem at the same time. Anyway, MDC is sending "another" one, and so long as it arrives by the end of the week I'll just chalk this up to the cost of wanting something hot out of the oven.

--V

the RH1 are onsale and booming in Australia !

i only know of 2 mzrh1 retailers in the whole of australia but there must be more... any way the ones i know of are,

Video World - The Sony Shop on Rundle St, Adelaide, SA

and

minidisc.com.au

- an online retailer

hope this helps any aussies out there :D

(oo and they are BLACK!!)

luv

Broox

Edited by broox

Yep, I finally got a response from MDC too (though still no tracking info :angry: ). They claim that Canada Post lost the item, which on one hand I'm inclined to believe, given that my recent history with Canada Post has been a nightmare. But on the other hand, it does seem odd that several of us are having exactly the same problem at the same time. Anyway, MDC is sending "another" one, and so long as it arrives by the end of the week I'll just chalk this up to the cost of wanting something hot out of the oven.

--V

Same here. Finally got a response from MDC via email. They gave me the same story (they said it was sent out last week, they ordered a trace on the order and Cananda Post can't find it. They are sending 'another' and I am to let them know if I get two of them.)

Disappointing...

(pg. 43-44 of the manual).

MC

Yep. -_-

I could see how this could be troublesome to some people. But doesn't bother me as I use MiniDisc almost strictly for recording. And of the random times I use it as a music player, I use the remote anyway and have the unit stowed in a bag, etc.

Same story everywhere, I still waiting today for the arrival that what the tracking report said, expexted delivery July 05, 2006. Oh well I hope this time is gonna be right.

--V

Same story everywhere, I still waiting today for the arrival that what the tracking report said, expexted delivery July 05, 2006. Oh well I hope this time is gonna be right.

So you actually got a tracking info email? When did you get it and when did u place ur order?

I placed mine June 21st. It's supposed to finally go out today, but not tracking info yet...

MDC UPDATE

I called and they picked up. Darrin said what happened with my order happened with 3 different orders. It went out yesterday and he gave me the tracking number to track on canadapost.ca. Once it crosses the border, it can be tracked on usps.com. He said usually takes 4 business days which'd be Monday.

Edited by reefbeef

I placed the order last week Tuesday, I still have not get the order yet today, the tracking said I am supposed to get it today, but as usual CP is sucks.

So you actually got a tracking info email? When did you get it and when did u place ur order?

I placed mine June 21st. It's supposed to finally go out today, but not tracking info yet...

I got mine in the mail today ordered on the 28th. I really wasn't expecting it until next week, go figure.

I feel extremely lucky!

Wait until you see it!!

I think I'll do a stealth recording of me and the Mrs. at the italian restaurant tonite for later upload...(just obsessively kidding).

I'll just die if the legacy thing actually works. I've got disks going back many years.

In hibernation for the next few days.

I may have my trusty mz-m100 for sale too shortly.

Sorry I did not see if you ordered from other places.

I got mine in the mail today ordered on the 28th. I really wasn't expecting it until next week, go figure.

I feel extremely lucky!

Wait until you see it!!

I think I'll do a stealth recording of me and the Mrs. at the italian restaurant tonite for later upload...(just obsessively kidding).

I'll just die if the legacy thing actually works. I've got disks going back many years.

In hibernation for the next few days.

I may have my trusty mz-m100 for sale too shortly.

Edited by musicman

Hi!... I bought the mz-rh1 about 2 weeks ago for $310 US dollars...

that's the retail price here in Chile.

Must say this unit is amazing, I've own different minidisc's over time

but this one gets the main price!!

9.0 out of 10

The good:

- Very fast reading discs

- Noiseless when recording (microphone)

- Operational noise is very decent

- Nice sound (I prefer using it with normal flat equalization... miss the old megabass system)

- Direct MP3 reading without changing format

- Can upload old recordings!!!

- Beatiful and lightweight design

The bad:

- Poor battery life and no adapter to use AA batteries

- When connected to USB the unit starts to charge the battery automatically.

That shortens battery life if the battery has been charged already.

Just one question... I have the black unit and THERE IS NO DATA ABOUT WHERE THE UNIT IS MADE

(not in the box, not in the unit itself, nor the manuals)

Any clues?

thanks!

Edited by condenser

I think I've been bitten by this Minidisc Canada/Canada Post issue as well. My delivery date was supposed to be July 5th. I still haven't received the unit and CP's tracking still says the item was received at the post office on the 23rd of June... Weird.

The bad:

- Poor battery life and no adapter to use AA batteries

- When connected to USB the unit starts to charge the battery automatically.

That shortens battery life if the battery has been charged already.

Just one question... I have the black unit and THERE IS NO DATA ABOUT WHERE THE UNIT IS MADE

(not in the box, not in the unit itself, nor the manuals)

Any clues?

thanks!

Mine says made in Malaysia... and I totally agree, I wish there was a way to not let it start charging when plugged into USB, it'd make a good option...

I think I've been bitten by this Minidisc Canada/Canada Post issue as well. My delivery date was supposed to be July 5th. I still haven't received the unit and CP's tracking still says the item was received at the post office on the 23rd of June... Weird.

Sounds like yours shipped when mine did, though the delivery date for mine is the 10th. But yours having not arrived by the 5th is discouraging.

Customs is one thing but I've had stuff delivered from Japan within a few days of when I ordered it-- this is ridiculous. Unless customs trusts our friends in Japan more than our friends up north.

Not only you even me I amin Toronto only 5 hrs driving still haven't got the item, here is the tracking report:

2006/07/05 19:46 VALLEYFIELD, QC Item accepted at the Post office

2006/07/04 17:24 ST-LAZARE-DE-VAUDREUIL, QC Item accepted at the Post office

2006/07/04 17:05 PIERREFONDS, QC Shipping details electronically submitted

Expected delivery dat July 05, 2006.

Sent Emails 2 times to MDC no reply, so what we're gonna do now? filling a dispute through paypal?

This from the MInidisco page on the RH1

Using the supplied Hi-MD Music Transfer software, you can do a high speed digital transfer of your Hi-MD recordings to your MAC computer. The audio data is automatically converted to unrestricted .WAV files. Note: Only LinearPCM, Hi-SP and Hi-LP self-recordings made with the MZ-RH1 can be uploaded.

I thought we were going to be able to upload digitally all of our old MD recordings to our Macintosh computer with the RH1.

Is this feature only for the PC?

Well, Canada Post came by with a delivery at 11:20am today...when I happened to be out for a couple of hours. Zut! So now I have to wait until after 1:00pm tomorrow when it is supposed to be available for pickup at the local post office.

Edit:

I just received the Package at 1:32PM, I am so excited to transfer all my old recording to the computer.

Well, Canada Post came by with a delivery at 11:20am today...when I happened to be out for a couple of hours. Zut! So now I have to wait until after 1:00pm tomorrow when it is supposed to be available for pickup at the local post office.

Edited by musicman