NW A1000 - Frozen at spinning CD

Rate this question

KCS

Question

Player was working fine but now freezes on startup at spinning CD. Have tried multiple resets but each time after the Sony walkman "welcome" the spinning CD comes up and it will not respond to any button nor will the PC find the device. Any suggestions?

12 answers to this question

KCS

Welcome to "AtracLife"

Have you dropped your Player?

Right Now it seems to me that there is some problem wiht your Hard Disk of your Player .So i will suggest you to Seek some help from Sony as sson as possible or give your player to Sony service station.

But before doing that .

Upgrade your player to fimware ver2.0(See hardware section of the forum).If you haven`t done this .

KCS

Welcome to "AtracLife"

Have you dropped your Player?

Right Now it seems to me that there is some problem wiht your Hard Disk of your Player .So i will suggest you to Seek some help from Sony as sson as possible or give your player to Sony service station.

But before doing that .

Upgrade your player to fimware ver2.0(See hardware section of the forum).If you haven`t done this .

Thanks for the reply. No have not dropped it. Cannot do firmware upgrade as cannot get the PC to find the device. Unless anyone has any more ideas I think it needs to go back to Sony.

My NW-A1000 also hung just displaying the spinning CD. This happened after I started the player and just after downloading a some files from SonicStage 3.3. The keys on the player did not respond and there was no error message. The player could be reset with a paper clip and then play files but it would hang again with the spinning CD on start up after shut down.

Here's what I did to recover:

reset the player using a paper clip

reconnect the player to the PC and run SonicStage

check that SS can see the player. In my case SS could list the files on the player

when the player is idle (not show Connecting...) disconnect it from the PC

now the player should be running - do not shut down!

on the player go to Home/Settings/Initalize Disk and select Yes

once the disk is initialized reconnect the player to the PC

ensure your SS library files are intact - in my case I restored then from my backup library

download the files you want on the player from the library

This worked for me. After the above actions my NW-A1000 player has been fine.

I don't know what caused the problem but it appears I downloaded some corrupted

files to the player.

I had a simialr problem to gerry_rg47 last week although my A1000 was displaying "sorry system32 error" when pressing the artist link button, no of the other did anything and the player was constantly beeping. Just resetting with a paperclip fixed it.

I had been trying to renumber the song positions in a particular album in ConnectPlayer before disconnecting and getting this error. Those still songs pay ok but still in the wrong order.

The manual suggests to contact Sony support so I thought anything must be better than that and the paperclip rest seemed the most obvious action.

Same problem here, but with a NW A3000. Never dropped it, had it about 4 months, and it's doing the spinning CD trick as well. Resets do not fix the problem, and my pc does not recognise anything connected either. Since I can't enter the menu, I can't even initialize the HD.

Apart from sending it back to Sony central service, any other suggestions??

Guest Stuge

Apart from sending it back to Sony central service, any other suggestions??

I don`t think anyone can give any suggestion :sad: b`coz their is some fault in your player or something ..so it`s better to seek help from Sony .

Whoa, same problem with mine, but my unit is NW-A3000 and it was already DOA (Dead on Arrival) (sigh....)

Never have the chance to actually use the unit....

First time started the unit, it shows spinning disc with beeping sounds.

Tried to charge the unit, it fires up, pop up message "Sorry System Error No.20".

Shut down the unit, turn it on again, now it only shows spinning disc (no beeping sound).

Player can't be detected at all by Windows...

Can't update firmware or even access the unit at all.

Had my brother bought it, have waited for almost 2 weeks to get it at my hand.

My expectation were high but now i have to send it back 1000 KM to have it exchanged.... :huh:

I missed my iPod mini.... :unsure:

Welcome to Atraclife !

You got your exchanged player than why cry now ..you should be happy with it now .

Sorry maybe i didn't make myself clear.

I just received the unit yesterday. Will have to wait for another month before I can have someone to bring it back to my brother for exchange. (can't trust mail courier in my country...)

Local Sony store in my country doesn't have the unit and I think they don't even know this unit type exist....

If you get the spinning disc error on your sony nw a1000 it means the hardrive is knackerd.

The hardrive in the sony NW A1000 is a segate ST1.2 6gb and these can be bought off ebay for around £8. If you can't find a 6gb one you can fit an 8gb hardrive BUT your NW A1000 will only use 6gb of it.

If you search on the internet you can find instructions on how to remove the back cover of your NW A1000 which is very easy to do! You then unplug the hardrive (be very careful!) and replace it with the new seagate hardrive. Turn the NW A1000 on and go to the home menu, select "settings", then select "intialize disc" and it will format your new hardrive so that it can work with NW A1000.