New Sony Headphones & Earphones Announced!

Rate this topic

Ishiyoshi

It has come to our attention that Sony will be adding a new fleet of headphones and earphones this October and November respectively. The new 'phones:

*image courtesy of AVWatch; check back for detailed specifications

MDR-NC22

~ successor to the MDR-NC11, the NC22 will retail for 9,975 yen on October 10, 2006. The MDR-NC22 will be available in three color scheme: Black, White and Pink.

Specifications

Type: Closed, Dynamic

Driver Unit: 13.5mm diameter (CCAW voice coil adoption)

Power Handling Capacity: (IEC)

Impedance: Ω(1kHz)

Sensitivity: 102 dB/mW (Power On) / 100 dB/mW (Power Off)

Frequency Response: 8-22,000Hz

Cord: OFC, approx. 1.5m

Weight: approx. 39g (inclusive of battery)

Plug: L shaped stereo mini plug (Gold)

Battery Life: approx. 50hrs

Color: Black, White and Pink

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

MDR-EX85SL

~ with an expected price of 5,000 yen. The EX85SL employs the same driver as the 90SL - most likely a budget version of the latter.

IPB Image

IPB Image

MDR-EX52SL

~ due this November with an expected MSRP of 3,000 yen.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

MDR-EX32SL/LP

~ standard canal 'phones; due this November with and expected MSRP of 2,500 yen. Will be available in four color scheme.

MDR-D777SL

~ The MDR-D777SL will feature 40mm HD driver units with a frequency range up to 80kHz and a "sound isolation mode" switch. The headphone will be available for sale on October 10, 2006 with a MSRP of 24,675 yen.

Specifications

Type: Sealing Closed, Dynamic

Driver Unit: 40mm diameter (CCAW voice coil adoption)

Power Handling Capacity: 1,500mW (IEC)

Impedance: 24Ω(1kHz)

Sensitivity: 106dB/mW

Frequency Response: 8-80,000Hz

Cord: OFC, 0.5m with 1 m extension cord

Weight: approx. 166g

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

MDR-D333LW

~ The MDR-D333LW will be available in three color scheme (Silver, White and Red) on October 10, 2006 with a MSRP of 6,195 yen. The MDR-D333LW will feature a convenient recoiling cord mechanism. 'phones cord can be wound up by pressing a button on the side of its housing.

Specifications

Type:Sealing Closed, Dynamic

Driver Unit: 30mm diameter (CCAW voice coil adoption)

Power Handling Capacity: 1,000mW (IEC)

Impedance: 24Ω(1kHz)

Sensitivity: 102dB/mW

Frequency Response: 12-24,000Hz

Cord: OFC, approx. 1.5m winding cord

Weight: approx. 136g

Color: Silver, White and Red

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm not sure I like the new styling of the D777. That headband looks really comfy though. But, in that pic, it looks like it doesn't fold as compactly as the old Eggos. Very cool that Sony didn't kill their Eggo line like they're doing with other things...

So hold on. I was thinking of getting some D66SLs. Do these models replace the D22 and D66? Are they "Eggos"? The D777SL seems to be double the price of the D66SL. SO which model replaces the D66SL? Does the D333 replace both? Will these new models replace the D22 or D66 per se? With the exception of the noise cancellation, are these new models even better than the D66 in the first place?

Edited by finalcoolman

I am not a reference... but to me personally these might be good headphones, but eggos they are not :lol: they lack the tongue in cheek 'fifties-view-on-the-future-and-extraterestrial-life'-look of the D22-D77 eggos

besides, I have never been a fan of active noise reduction so for me these aren't really a replacement for any eggo.

Again, this is only my opinion...

I am not a reference... but to me personally these might be good headphones, but eggos they are not :lol: they lack the tongue in cheek 'fifties-view-on-the-future-and-extraterestrial-life'-look of the D22-D77 eggos

besides, I have never been a fan of active noise reduction so for me these aren't really a replacement for any eggo.

Again, this is only my opinion...

I don't think the D777's will have active noise cancellation in the same sense as the NC11/22's but more what looks like some kind of isolation "on/off" switch. That said they do lack some of the character of the D66's.

ah, I've looked again and by scrolling too fast towards the 'new eggo pics' I mentally placed the pic with the 'monitor' (the mic to check background noise in active noise-reducing phones IIRC) with the big eggo-like phones and not with the small in-ear buds to which it really belongs... my mistake :blush:

I'm don't think the D777's will have active noise cancellation in the same sense as the NC11/22's but more what looks like some kind of isolation "on/off" switch. That said they do lack some of the character of the D66's.

could be a simple mechanical switch to slide a membrane* open/c;osed

*like the earlier eggos or could just be a plastic slide

could be a simple mechanical switch to slide a membrane* open/c;osed

*like the earlier eggos or could just be a plastic slide

Adrian and Rich are quite right regarding the "sound-in" switch. The description regarding the D777SL's "sound-in" switch is somewhat vague (from AVWatch via Sony Dealer Convention 2006) at this point but it is obvious that this "switch" is definitely not a traditional NC so to speak. I don't see how the D777SL can power NC circuitry without an external power source. (i.e. batteries)

Update: edited initial noise cancellation remark to stem further confusion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The new designs for those earbuds are sure interesting but like some of you mentioned, not so sure about the "Open" - "Closed" switch for MDR-D777SL >|O_o|<

I'm still in the decision making for a new pair of earbuds...

Going for MDR-EX90SL, MDR-EX85SL 「knowing the EX85SL's the budget version of the EX90SL but its design kinda attracts me」 or MDR-NC22 「with the remote?!?!」? \\O_O//

• 3 weeks later...