Onkyo MD-105FX HiMD Deck Review

Webmaster

A weird thing that display problem; sometimes I get the feeling SB is not that well compatible; if I transfer those incorrectly displayed tracks (played back fine though) back to the pc, then back upon the same MD, it suddenly works. I'll try copy of CD to MD via SS (using unnecessarily HDD space) in one go, see if it goes better. I'll update this topic for complementary info.

Could you write a short piece summarising the unit's co-operation with the Intec series so I can add it to my review (with full credit to you, of course)? I'd be very grateful.

Also, I'm glad I'm not the only one with the display problem. I thought my unit may be faulty. I can't be bothered redoing all the discs that have the problem, but if you think it may be caused by Simple Burner we may be on to something. I'll do some more experiments.

Fellow Onkyo deck/hifi owners:

What does the MD2 Mode option mean/do? Oh how I'd love an English manual ;-) I've also just discovered the Onkyo deck doesn't behave like a real MDLP recorder either; it doesn't strip LPstamps from LP2/4 track titles (unless I'm missing an option here, too).

Loved this review! Rarely have I seen such an in-depth, user-friendly review on anything. I felt as though I was right there playing with that machine. The upshot of it all: I had to go to Minidisco and purchase the "older sister" Onkyo MD-133 deck. I too wish that Sony would get off the dime and start building HiMD decks. But I don't see it happening. :angry:

Loved this review! Rarely have I seen such an in-depth, user-friendly review on anything. I felt as though I was right there playing with that machine. The upshot of it all: I had to go to Minidisco and purchase the "older sister" Onkyo MD-133 deck. I too wish that Sony would get off the dime and start building HiMD decks. But I don't see it happening. :angry:

Thanks for the kind comments. As I said in the review, these decks are only worth the excessive cost if you know you'll play with it all the time. I've made about 15 discs on my 105FX already, and I'm surprised at how good normal SP sounds. It must be Type-R!

Thanks for the kind comments. As I said in the review, these decks are only worth the excessive cost if you know you'll play with it all the time. I've made about 15 discs on my 105FX already, and I'm surprised at how good normal SP sounds. It must be Type-R!

THANK YOU! for that wonderful review. I know I'll use it every day.

these decks are only worth the excessive cost if you know you'll play with it all the time. I've made about 15 discs on my 105FX already, and I'm surprised at how good normal SP sounds. It must be Type-R!

I bought the deck so that I'll have something sturdy enough to last, that can play *any* generation of my minidiscs in the future, after Sony has stopped supporting minidiscs completely. So the cost is kind of an investment. But I won't feel cheated if Sony or someone else keeps minidisc alive. It's a nice decent deck (in spite of no USB and other features already mentioned).

I bought the deck so that I'll have something sturdy enough to last, that can play *any* generation of my minidiscs in the future, after Sony has stopped supporting minidiscs completely. So the cost is kind of an investment. But I won't feel cheated if Sony or someone else keeps minidisc alive. It's a nice decent deck (in spite of no USB and other features already mentioned).

That's a good justifcation. Same as me really. I just hope the Onkyo is built well to last that long. It seems like it is. Plus, I bet AudioCubes have warehouses full of it ;) I hope so anyway...

Edited by RobShaz

• 2 weeks later...

The only I would consider to have one of this hi-md deck is to make final mixes or rough mixes using PCM mode ala DAT. I think it is still more convenient and much faster than using CD RW.

There is 2:00 mins waiting time everytime I have to erase CD RW while minidisc is a lot simpler. You press erased track or all erased and gone. Also PCM is equal to CD's quality anyhow isn't. So overall a hi-md would be a best bet investment for in the future. For now I guess I will just settle with my RH1. Hopefully Sony would released a Hi-MD deck that plays MP3 as well even if doesn't have USB, I can always use my RH1 for that purpose.

• 1 month later...

Robin: Thanks for a great review...I'm currently considering either the 105 or 133FX as well as (dare to dream?) the Onkyo X-B8 system. I've shown the unit pics VERY briefly to an audiophile friend of mine, but he's wondering about speaker connections. Don't think he had time to take a closer look, but I guess this just plugs into the receiver on your system anyways? Either way, sounds like you don't have any complaints.. :ok:

I'm also particularly interested in any warranty/repair options you might/might not have, since like myself you live in Canada. If something happens to it, what would you do? Would Onkyo in NA help you?

peace

WaywardTraveller

Edited by WaywardTraveller

• 1 month later...

Gonna sound a bit negative here guys, but I think Sony are wise not to produce a Hi-MD deck. It's such a niche market (for so many reasons thanks to Sony), I'm surprised even anyone at all has produced one, and I must say that even I - a seasoned MD user - can't really see too much benefit for the cost.

When I'm not using CDs I'll continue to plug my portable Hi-MD into my stereo via its headphone output. As long as a fair quality lead is used for the connection, and the Hi-MD machine's EQ is disabled/set to flat, and the nasty auto volume limiter thing is hacked then you'll get a very decent sound through a seperates amp and won't see the need to fork out for a deck.

The biggest advantage to the deck I can see is, it looks sexy and desirable - but that novelty would wear off quite quickly.

Robin: Thanks for a great review...I'm currently considering either the 105 or 133FX as well as (dare to dream?) the Onkyo X-B8 system. I've shown the unit pics VERY briefly to an audiophile friend of mine, but he's wondering about speaker connections. Don't think he had time to take a closer look, but I guess this just plugs into the receiver on your system anyways? Either way, sounds like you don't have any complaints.. :ok:

I'm also particularly interested in any warranty/repair options you might/might not have, since like myself you live in Canada. If something happens to it, what would you do? Would Onkyo in NA help you?

peace

WaywardTraveller

See the image of the rear of the unit. It has analogue outputs. These connect to a seperates amp, or to any stereo with aux inputs.

Some more vain advantages:

Having a remote and really good ergonomic knobs is bliss. And slipping an MD into the slot seems so much more natural.

Titling and editing is a breeze on the unit. And its price is even competitive with the RH1 at PJ!

I'm starting to see these HiMD decks in an entirely new - almost sexual - light. :give_heart:

Edited by KanakoAndTheNumbSkulls

• 5 months later...

I have been seriously thinking of ditching my MDS-JE480 and getting the MD-133 for over a year now, it's just that I have been unemployed (until tomorrow, YEA!!!) for the past 8 months and haven't been able to afford one. I already have downloaded the English translation of the user manual (thanks to MiniDisco) and since I have owned MD decks since 2000, I most certainly could adapt myself to this unit, but, one question for Kanako:

You mentioned having to do a volume hack to get maximum output, is it capped for European use?

If there is a hack available, please post it here for me, as it would be very useful and a perfect successor to my JE480 unit, and for a long time at that.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

Edited by BIGHMW

you'd save $$$ getting the MD-105FX instead of the MD-133, but hey, why not, it's a nice unit. Larger & with gold plated RCA connectors, but except from that, it does the same.

volume hack on a deck?! line output, plain & simple, 2 digital inputs, 1 line input.

volume hacks are for portable European-market destinated MD Walkman units, due to hearing-protection laws.

Cool, maybe I'll save some $$$ by getting the same convenient features in the 105FX as opposed to the rack-friendly 133 unit.

As for the hack being only for EU-market portable units, I already own TWO MZ-RH710 Walkmans, and successfully did the needed volume/EQ hack, as you mentioned, and thanks for the added info, hopefully someone will have the DIY optical out add-on (or at least a link to it) on this site.

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

Would somebody on this forum able to transform an old Sony mds ja ES into a himd unit (just changing the necessary parts)? ;)

because Sony seems uncapable to do this....

I owned the 105fx for a while myself, but then sold it. Basically I let go of the MD format. However, I totally recommend the deck. (RobShaz's review certainly influenced me as well). I did have the character screen issue, and that was very annoying... but at the time I didn't seek out any threads on the issue and how to work around it, plus I already had a library of like 200+ MDs and didn't feel like re-making them for the sake of the deck.

I bought the deck as an investment for the format, and, I'll confess, just for having the thrill of poppin in an MD into a slot by my home stereo system... well that thrill was short-lived, and so the deck now has a new home.

Sturdy, heavy product though - worth the $$$.

• 4 weeks later...