SonicStage 4.2 Arrives With DSEE Support

Christopher

Sony has provided two consecutive versions of SonicStage CP in just less than a month. SonicStage CP 4.1 debuted alongside the new NW-S70x series on October 21, 2006 and the latest addition, SonicStage CP 4.2, is now available for public download.+++

IPB Image

New features:

- Importing and playing back in HE-AAC format is available.

- Format support: *.3gp

- Ripping Audio CD in HE-AAC format is available.

- Bit rates for HE-AAC; 96kbps/80kbps/64kbps/48kbps/40kbps

- DSEE (Digital Sound Enhancement Engine) function is available. DSEE is a high-frequency completion technology developed by Sony that improves the quality of compressed audio and adds back in high frequencies that are often lost when audio is compressed. The resulting audio is closer to the original, more natural, and offers a wider sense of space.

IPB Image

Accordingly, SonicStage CP 4.2 now supports the following WALKMAN devices:

- Hi-MD Walkman

- Net MD Walkman

- NW-E series

- NW-A series

- NW-S Series

- NW-HD series

- NW-MS Series

- ATRAC CD Walkman

MODULE VERSION

SonicStage : 4.2.02.11020

SonicStage Add-on for Personal Audio Download : 4.2.02.11020

OpenMG Secure Module : 4.6.01.10041

MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.6.01.10041

NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.6.01.10041

OpenMG CD : 4.6.01.10041

M.S. PRO : 4.6.01.10041

CD Walkman : 4.6.01.10041

ATRAC Audio Device with Intelligent function : 4.6.01.10041

Hi-MD : 4.6.01.10041

Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.6.01.10041

ATRAC Audio Device : 4.6.01.10041

Net MD : 4.6.01.10041

EMD Plug-in: 4.2.02.11020

CD-R 書き込みモジュール(Audio CD/ATRAC CD/MP3 CD) : 4.2.02.11020

Px Engine: 2.7.33.500

DOWNLOAD LINKS: Sony Japan | Sony Europe | Sony USA | Sony Asia-Pacific | JEB

So I guess the obvious question(s) is/are: is this for computer playback only, or will this added high-spectrum sound be supported by the units as well (sounds like the latter, hopefully)?

And second...has anyone tried this? I'd love to hear opinions, because once I hit Australia I'm kickin' back and doing some serious recording B)..

peace

WaywardTraveller

DSEE is for computer playback only. It really adds higher frequencies above the cutoff frequency of a file (not quite linearly, though). Easy to hear or discover using spectrum analysis at low bitrates. But it can hardly do anything at 256 kbps and above, since there is nothing to add (the full frequency spectrum is already present).

ADDED: ATRAC CD burning seems to be fixed in 4.2.

Edited by Avrin

Can't say I care at all about the DSEE, but this is the first form of SonicStage that has automatically loaded all of my existing music library without giving me some form of a memory reference error.

Thank you Sony - albeit you should have worked this kink out eons ago...

It does. It really does. The technology is somewhat similar to Panasonic's "DOUBLE REMASTER" or "MULTI REMASTER" on their modern DVD-players, but DSEE really works a naturally softer, SONYer way. On PC only (yet?)...

And it is most probably able to add some more "naturality" at high bitrates, despite what I said above.

ADDED: The technology has nothing in common with MP3pro, HE-ACC, or WMA. It is about restoration, not acoustical deception.

Edited by Avrin

It does. It really does. The technology is somewhat similar to Panasonic's "DOUBLE REMASTER" or "MULTI REMASTER" on their modern DVD-players, but DSEE really works a naturally softer, SONYer way. On PC only (yet?)...

And it is most probably able to add some more "naturality" at high bitrates, despite what I said above.

ADDED: The technology has nothing in common with MP3pro, HE-ACC, or WMA. It is about restoration, not acoustical deception.

Mh, Im sorry if I didn't get it well, but if I have a disk already recorded, what would this new version add to it? or should I have to transfer all the files again for it to take effect? :wacko:

Ok, did a quick test on DSEE:

Atrac3Plus@48k: No Effect.

Atrac3Plus@64k: No Effect.

Atrac3Plus@96k: Improves the high range and cleans it up (less artefacting)

Atrac3@66k(LP4): High range improves audibly, but the other LP4-drawbacks stay

Atrac3@105k(LP2): Slight high range improvement. Sounds cleaner

Atrac3@132k(LP2): Sounds cleaner

LC-AAC@80k and above: No Effect.

MP3@96k: It really cleans it up. It is like going from 96kBit to 128kBit.

MP3@112k: Less dramatic, like going to 128kBit.

MP3@128k: Less dramatic, like going to 160kBit.

WMA9@48k: Takes out a lot of the grime this bad codec produces. High range improves considerably.

WMA9@64k: It really cleans it up, high range comes out real nicely.

WMA9@96k: Removes almost all of the residue this codec produces. Plus the high range as before.

Conclusion:

I really don't know, why DSEE has no effect on Atrac3Plus@48&64k,

I tried it with files from all previous SonicStage versions back to 3.0.

I can only suspect, that there are not enough hints remained in the data for DSEE to work with.

I will rerip the test track tomorrow with this SonicStage-version and see, if that changes.

However, for WMA-victims, DSEE is a godsend. The same goes for bad MP3-codecs. (Like the one SonicStage uses)

In essence, the better the result is without DSEE, the lesser the effect is.

Another point: DSEE seems not to have any effect, when compressed data has been recoded.

I have a bunch of MP3s converted to LP2 and there is no effect,

while the samples used for the above tests had been created directly from CD.

If I find time tomorrow, I'll record a few samples from DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale)

and see, if that low datarate stuff improves.

Edited by jadeclaw

Ok, just to make sure I understand correctly... If I download 4.2, and rip a CD to 132k ATRAC, then transfer at same rate to an MD disc, it will actually sound better than usual? (on my md player not on the PC)

(Is DSEE something you 'engage' or check off during the rip process as an option?)

Thanks, this is very important for me to know, however I'm very happy that Sonic Stage 4.0 has been working for me perfectly... so I certainly don't want to download anything that could possibly be buggy.

Thanks.

Edited by theblueraja

Ok, just to make sure I understand correctly... If I download 4.2, and rip a CD to 132k ATRAC, then transfer at same rate to an MD disc, it will actually sound better than usual? (on my md player not on the PC)

(Is DSEE something you 'engage' or check off during the rip process as an option?)

Thanks, this is very important for me to know, however I'm very happy that Sonic Stage 4.0 has been working for me perfectly... so I certainly don't want to download anything that could possibly be buggy.

Thanks.

unfortunately is just for playback only within your PC and supposed to work well with lower rate compression like LP4 and hi-lp to compensate for the loss of frequency.

oohhhh ok... well, then I'll stick with 4.0 - thanks! :)

If 4.0 works for you that's fine. I have no idea about 4.0 since I just recently started using minidisc again because of RH1. I supposed that there was some bugs with 4.0 so 4.2 was an improvement. But as they say, if not broken don't fix it. Which is in your case it isn't

Does anyone know if it's less crashy than for instance 3.2 and 3.4 when it comes to adding MP3s?

I too had issues with 4.0 locking up if I tried transferring more than ~20 MP3's at once. I have loaded a few discs now with 4.2 and it does not seem to balk at huge transfers anymore. Good Luck!

Ok, did a quick test on DSEE:

Atrac3Plus@48k: No Effect.

Atrac3Plus@64k: No Effect.

Atrac3Plus@96k: Improves the high range and cleans it up (less artefacting)

Atrac3@66k(LP4): High range improves audibly, but the other LP4-drawbacks stay

Atrac3@105k(LP2): Slight high range improvement. Sounds cleaner

Atrac3@132k(LP2): Sounds cleaner

LC-AAC@80k and above: No Effect.

MP3@96k: It really cleans it up. It is like going from 96kBit to 128kBit.

MP3@112k: Less dramatic, like going to 128kBit.

MP3@128k: Less dramatic, like going to 160kBit.

WMA9@48k: Takes out a lot of the grime this bad codec produces. High range improves considerably.

WMA9@64k: It really cleans it up, high range comes out real nicely.

WMA9@96k: Removes almost all of the residue this codec produces. Plus the high range as before.

Conclusion:

I really don't know, why DSEE has no effect on Atrac3Plus@48&64k,

I tried it with files from all previous SonicStage versions back to 3.0.

I can only suspect, that there are not enough hints remained in the data for DSEE to work with.

I will rerip the test track tomorrow with this SonicStage-version and see, if that changes.

However, for WMA-victims, DSEE is a godsend. The same goes for bad MP3-codecs. (Like the one SonicStage uses)

In essence, the better the result is without DSEE, the lesser the effect is.

Another point: DSEE seems not to have any effect, when compressed data has been recoded.

I have a bunch of MP3s converted to LP2 and there is no effect,

while the samples used for the above tests had been created directly from CD.

If I find time tomorrow, I'll record a few samples from DRM (Digital Radio Mondiale)

and see, if that low datarate stuff improves.

I already downloaded it, but where's that: Atrac3Plus@96k??? I only see

48 & 64 k in the options window.

I already downloaded it, but where's that: Atrac3Plus@96k??? I only see

48 & 64 k in the options window.

It is here:

IPB Image

It is in the Settings for CD-Import. You may not see it in the Transfer-Settings, as that is dependend on the type of player connected at that time.

(Note: Hi-MD knows only ATRAC 48k, 64k, 66k(LP4), 105k(LP2), 132k(LP2), 192k, 256k, 352k).

Edited by jadeclaw

I've done a quick and brief test on this DSEE technology, and here are my findings.

DSEE will improve all forms of audio formats played back from your computer. However, the improvement will be limited to the bitrates and type of audio played.

The most notable enhancement turning this on is the increased spatial sensation of stereo sound. The other is the slight tweaking of the audio's frequency response curve. It is enhancing the high-end noise of around 4kHz onwards, but also making the bass sound deeper by reducing 200-300Hz frequency and increasing 80Hz and below frequencies.

The most important note is that it affects *all* audio formats including the lower bitrate ones such as ATRAC at 48kbit/s. I have tested this on 48k ATRAC and 64k ATRAC and I do hear a difference. Unfortunately though the quality of the sound of 48 and 64k limits the effect DSEE has. I can certainly hear the increased spatial sensation, but not the increased high frequency response. I would say only about 5% of the general public can hear this slight improvement in sound, but it should be just audible by sound experts and audiophiles like myself. Most likely you will only hear this difference using head or earphones.

And I can hear this difference using my laptop's Integrated sound card with fairly high-quality headphones! I can give you a much deeper analysis on the changes in quality when I test this using my external soundcard and high-quality earphones.

So in summary:

-DSEE will improve all sound played back by SonicStage, meaning it works for ATRAC, WMA and MP3.

-How much you can hear of an improvement depends on the quality of the audio file. The higher the quality, the more pronounced the improvement becomes.

-Typically, very few will be able to hear improvements with 48k unless you have a very trained ear with head or earphones.

----------------------------------------------

Second test using better earphones:

-Upper frequencies increased from about 12kHz, not 4kHz - (perhaps someone can provide a frequency response graph?) This is based on what I hear.

-Turning this on makes bass frequencies sound less grungy - it's more crisp.

-Vocals are affected most in terms of increased sense of space in stereo. It utilises rear speakers more if you are using surround sound.

Edited by syko

It is here:

IPB Image

It is in the Settings for CD-Import. You may not see it in the Transfer-Settings, as that is dependend on the type of player connected at that time.

(Note: Hi-MD knows only ATRAC 48k, 64k, 66k(LP4), 105k(LP2), 132k(LP2), 192k, 256k, 352k).

Ah, thank you very much, I thought it was in the transfers speed panel. :rolleyes:

I have not yet found out what DSEE does to your recordings (but I switched it on).

But there seems to be something that bothers me with Sonicstage 4.2. That has to to with tracks. I am listening to classical music and opera, and I make tracks within acts - but the breaks between tracks must not be noticed when listening - the music must continue without a break. So it was before.

But now with 4.2 there is a noticeable sound between tracks. Not a silence of x seconds but the track-change is noticable.

Anyone knows how to eliminate this? Is it something new in 4.2?

Olaf

:wacko: will this format work on my NE-20? anybody tried it?

It's not a separate format. It's just a playback feature in Sonic Stage. It does not affect playback on portable devices.

Off topic, but how do you like your NE-20?

Edited by grenert

I have not yet found out what DSEE does to your recordings (but I switched it on).

But there seems to be something that bothers me with Sonicstage 4.2. That has to to with tracks. I am listening to classical music and opera, and I make tracks within acts - but the breaks between tracks must not be noticed when listening - the music must continue without a break. So it was before.

But now with 4.2 there is a noticeable sound between tracks. Not a silence of x seconds but the track-change is noticable.

Anyone knows how to eliminate this? Is it something new in 4.2?

Olaf

Sorry - this appears only in SonicStage itself. When transferred to a CD-R or to SONY MW-A1000 I don't hear the breaks.

Olaf

• 2 weeks later...

The DSEE to me is just barely noticeable, maybe it's because I'm listening to them in Hi-SP on my computer. But in some places you can notice a bass boost effect, that is pretty much the difference I can hear. I just keep it on, since it won't do any harm right? Also I think I shouldn't have uninstalled my Simple Burner, because I didn't know this SS doesn't come with it. Is there a place to d.load Simple Burner?

• 3 weeks later...

Try this link for the full installer for SonicStage v4.2 (for Connect)

http://sonicstage.connect.com/SS-US.zip

Warning: it's a big file for dial-ups (83.5MB)

SonicStage : 4.2.02.11020

SonicStage Add-on for CONNECT CD-ROM : 4.2.02.11020

OpenMG Secure Module : 4.6.01.10041

MagicGate Memory Stick Device : 4.6.01.10041

NW-E2, NW-E3, NW-E5 and NW-E8P : 4.6.01.10041

OpenMG CD : 4.6.01.10041

M.S. PRO : 4.6.01.10041

CD Walkman : 4.6.01.10041

ATRAC Audio Device with Intelligent function : 4.6.01.10041

Hi-MD : 4.6.01.10041

Music Clip, NW-S4, NW-E7 and NW-E10 : 4.6.01.10041

ATRAC Audio Device : 4.6.01.10041