A few 'phone questions

Rate this topic

evilmutent

So i've got a few questions regarding head phones. I currently have the sony V-700s (for over the head phones) and i like their sound and most other things about them other then they are a pain in the hear after extended listening periods. i have somone willing to buy them off me, so i am looking for somthing to replace them with.

I've looked at, and heard alot about the D-66 eggos. i think they look awesome. they probably sound good, although my feeling is that they wont be the v-700's sound. not that i'm killing for the exact sound, but i think their sound will be inferior. this is only a guess based on specs, and what i've red over the past year. but..

now exists the new d-777 :o . these seem to be a fair match to the 700s. but guaging by the price, they might be better ( ? ). i prefer the look of the the 66s myself, but thats a personal opinion thing that i have to deal with :P . also, is the fact that they have come up with this new line mean that they will stop production of the 66, and so if i ever want a new pair of them i need to buy now?

finally, i know lots of people are against the bose triport, but i'd like to hear some honest opinions on them. i know they are not foldable, light and flimsy, have a cord to each cup, etc. i want to know waht they sound like. if their sound is porweful, full and/or tight. are they comfy on the ears? i think you konw what i'm asking :P

anyways, thanks alot for any/all of your guys help. you guys often come up with good, fair, and agreeable opinions. so i think are the best guys to ask. thanks!!

I've only given a brief listen to the Bose Triport, but it was enough to convince me that they are way overpriced.

Both ends of the spectrum were severely curtailed. There was very limited bass, and the highs sounded like you were listening under a thick blanket. If you want to hear them, go to an Apple Computer store near you--for some reason they think the Triports are good for showing off their iPods, so there are lots of pairs lying around. Bring your old Sony phones with you, plug into an iPod and do a comparison, and I think you'll be severely underwhelmed by the Triports. They're just for people who have more money than sense.

I've looked at, and heard alot about the D-66 eggos. i think they look awesome. they probably sound good, although my feeling is that they wont be the v-700's sound. not that i'm killing for the exact sound, but i think their sound will be inferior. this is only a guess based on specs, and what i've red over the past year.

I think it's the opposite. I feel the V700 are terrible in comparison to the D66, sound-wise and comfort-wise. I've tried the the V150/500/600/700 and they are all shitzu if compared to the D66. But, of course, sound quality is subjective and to each their own. However, the Eggos are by far one of the comfiest, under-$100 headphones out there.

Just curious. Where did you read that the V700DJ sounds better than the D66? You should go to Head-Fi.org's headphone forum and do searches on "V700DJ or V700" if you haven't already; I think you'll be surprised with the comments. There are some D66 reviews there as well.

I've tried the D777 Altus and although they are comfy (can't comment on the sound quality because the store was blasting a J-Lo concert), I'm pretty sure I won't pay $150-200 for them.

also, is the fact that they have come up with this new line mean that they will stop production of the 66, and so if i ever want a new pair of them i need to buy now?

Edit: The D66 are only available in Japan so you'd have to get them from internet stores mentioned in this forum. If those stores run out, then you'd better find a pal in Japan to hook you up or camp out at eBay.

Good luck!

Edited by jaylen

haha, now that u mention it, I really have no reason to think the 700 were any better :huh: . i guess i must have had some impression from somwhere long ago that just stuck with me since then. it has to be totally my imagination because i cant remember reading anything about it :lol: , and apon reading the specs (which i know dont tell the whole story, but it probably gives u a good starting point), they seem very simmilar. so thanks for bringing that back to my attention ^_^ .

anyone else have somthing to add?

cheers!