I'm back at it

Rate this topic

Sparda

Hello all, once again i am searching for new headphones, the last pair i bought, ex81, were much less than satisfactory. It would probably take a couple more years before i buy I.E.M's ever again,they sound horrible.... so I guess i am back to earbuds. The thing is i have no idea where to start, the only thing i do know is my budget of less than $100 Cnd. I need a pair with good bass response while still maintaining the highs. Got any suggestions for me? ^_^

Don't throw out the whole IEM category because of the EX81s, which are really overpriced earbuds that don't provide any isolation.

It's like saying wine is bad because some stuff you got at the supermarket in a plastic bottle with a screw-on cap didn't taste good.

Earbuds generally lack bass because they are so small. It amazes me what good IEMs like Shures can do in that tiny space.

Are you dead-set against small portable over-the-ear phones, like Sennheiser PX100, which have bass galore?

Here's a page of honest recommendations in your general budget, and you could also take a look at the under-$40 page for various earbuds.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-budget/40-80/

Thanks for the reply really appreciate it. Although I do feel discouraged after looking at the earbuds section. Maybe I will give IEM's another try. I want something that i can take on the go, i know that some of the portable headphones are really good, but i can only see them being used at home. And if i am home i would be using my stereo system. Being a student and all, im always on the go, i also don't have much cash to go spend. Would you recommend some IEM's that give good sound quality? Also i always wonder if the ex71 and ex81 sounded any different, because if they sound alike then i wouldn't really go buy the ex71.

Edit: i think what i want is something with good sound quality but without the headband, i prefer no headbands.

Edited by Sparda

If you can squeeze just a little more money out of the piggy bank, I think you'd be happy with Shure E3 (white) or E3c (gray). I just saw them at J&R in New York City for $129 in the store, and Froogle brings up this site for $116 (plus shipping)--you could also try Froogle for other possibilities.

http://www.compuplus.com/i-Shure-E3-Sound-...4cp9f7t1tbvd23l

Shure makes authorized dealers advertise the $179 list price, but they can be found cheaper on Ebay, too.

Don't get the E3G, which is for gamers and probably has exaggerated highs.

Shure makes a cheaper one, the E2/E2C, that some people like and some people don't; I've never tried them.

They come with six different kinds of earplugs. Be sure to try them all, because for me, one (large gray sleeve) was far better than the rest. Boost the bass just a little when you get the best fit, and you'll be amazed at the sound that was in your MD all along.

Also, be careful with them on. They are VERY isolating and when you're rocking out with them, you should look both ways before crossing the street, etc. Seriously.

Head-Fi also has a couple of other in-ear possibilities they like on that page I linked to above: the Ultimate Ears and Sennheiser CX300. Look around the net for reviews on them.

Edited by A440

[quote name='A440'

....They come with six different kinds of earplugs. Be sure to try them all, because for me, one (large gray sleeve) was far better than the rest. Boost the bass just a little when you get the best fit, and you'll be amazed at the sound that was in your MD all along. ....

I think it's about time I pimped Damaged Gears. ;) Not my blog. I just like to pester the guy (or girl - lol) running it.

Check here: http://damage.wordpress.com/tag/headphones/page/2/ for a review of the EX90. It's a 5-part job (currently on Episode 5) so be sure to click to the next page to see the rest of it.

• 2 weeks later...