Best Cleaning MD for Hi-MD recorders?

Rate this topic

DATfan

As the subject states, what's the best cleaning MD to use in a Hi-MD recorder? I can choose from (at least) the

Maxell MD-CL

Sony MD-6LCL

Sony MD-8HCL

Not sure what's different between the two Sony products, or which is the best for Hi-MD.

EDIT: OK I see that

Maxell MD-CL = lens cleaner

Sony MD-6LCL = lens cleaner

Sony MD-8HCL = head cleaner

I guess I need the head cleaner. Problem solved?

Edited by DATfan

I worry that the bristles are too rough and may actually do more damage than good. There's a saying that goes like this "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I would only use the head cleaner, with long intervals in-between. Maybe every 2000 hours of (recording) use. Is that too many? <g>

Posts #2 and #3 from the thread that I linked should answer your question. When people have had skipping problems or whatever with their units, the most that I've seen them do is clean things with isopropyl alcohol. I have yet to see someone using commercial disc cleaners for regular maintenance. Usually, those cleaners are recommended if no other remedies work and the only other choice is to send the MD unit to Sony for repair.

Posts #2 and #3 from the thread that I linked should answer your question. When people have had skipping problems or whatever with their units, the most that I've seen them do is clean things with isopropyl alcohol. I have yet to see someone using commercial disc cleaners for regular maintenance. Usually, those cleaners are recommended if no other remedies work and the only other choice is to send the MD unit to Sony for repair.

Sony MD-8HCL instructions:

"To keep the magnetic head clean at all times, carry out cleaning regularly at a rate of about once every two weeks."

Recommendation is implied, but not directly stated.

Also of interest, the head cleaner is not for use in "car-mounted MD units" or in "data drivers."

I wonder whether the characteristics of car-mounted and data driver MD units (that render head cleaners unsuitable) are also shared by Hi-MD units?

Edited by DATfan

Sony MD-8HCL instructions:

"To keep the magnetic head clean at all times, carry out cleaning regularly at a rate of about once every two weeks."

Recommendation is implied, but not directly stated.

Sorry if I misled you, but when I said "those cleaners are recommended if..." in my previous post, I meant "those cleaners are recommended by people from minidisc-related forums if..." So, it's up to you. Trust what's printed on the package of a store-bought cleaner or go by what seasoned MD users have recommended in the past and present. Good luck.

Trust what's printed on the package of a store-bought cleaner

... by Sony. Printed by Sony, on the Sony MD-8HCL head cleaner.

Nevertheless, I do note that Sony is not precisely recommending this use, merely stating that this will keep the head clean at all times (regardless of unmentioned side effects such as possible wear).

So I will not be cleaning my MD recording heads twice a month. Once a year maybe. And cleaning the lens? Most likely never!

That is, as soon as anyone can clarify if the Sony MD-8HCL head cleaner is acceptable for use in Hi-MD units.

What is it about MD car and data drives such that Sony instructs against using the MD-8HCL, and are those characteristics shared by Hi-MD units?

... by Sony. Printed by Sony, on the Sony MD-8HCL head cleaner.

:rolleyes: I knew it was made by Sony. If you had read the thread that I linked, you would see that nearly all of the MD veterans (who have years of experience) in that thread recommend against ANY store-bought cleaner, head or lens cleaner, for MD units. Like Sparda said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edit: But, if you keep insisting that you want to use a head cleaner for yearly maintenance, then why not give Sony support a call about your dilemma. I'm sure the packaging of your MD-8HCL has a toll-free number on it. Forum majority advises against any commercial cleaners (unless used as a last resort). Sony advises regular maintenance with their store-bought product. You would like regular cleaning, albeit in a less frequent fashion. Clearly, you want to follow Sony's advice, so perhaps it's best if you consulted Sony directly.

Edited by jaylen

:rolleyes: I knew it was made by Sony. If you had read the thread that I linked, you would see that nearly all of the MD veterans (who have years of experience) in that thread recommend against ANY store-bought cleaner, head or lens cleaner, for MD units. Like Sparda said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Edit: But, if you keep insisting that you want to use a head cleaner for yearly maintenance, then why not give Sony support a call about your dilemma. I'm sure the packaging of your MD-8HCL has a toll-free number on it. Forum majority advises against any commercial cleaners (unless used as a last resort). Sony advises regular maintenance with their store-bought product. You would like regular cleaning, albeit in a less frequent fashion. Clearly, you want to follow Sony's advice, so perhaps it's best if you consulted Sony directly.

I have the Sony head cleaner and lense cleaner. I've used them on my old Sharp MD unit and my MZ-RH10. I've had no problems with recording or playback. The reason I used the head cleaner was because I recorded onto some old MDs that had dust and lint inside. I know the MD is protected inside a case, but dust/lint can still get in there. But if you're always using brand new/clean MDs, no cleaning of the unit is required. Hope this helps.