Consdering Hi-MD home system

Rate this topic

delta v

I have been debating for a little while now about getting one of the Onkyo HiMD decks, and I figured I would ask here what yall do when you want to listen to MD's at home. Do most people here just plug in their portable to a stereo? Because it seems that not many people have made the jump to a deck/bookshelf, but there isn't really another way, especially if you want a non-wired remote to listen from bed/across the room/ect.

Any thoughts? Because 500+ is alot for the X-B8, but just getting the MD-105FX is already 300+, and would have to get speakers, reciever, ect...

I have been debating for a little while now about getting one of the Onkyo HiMD decks, and I figured I would ask here what yall do when you want to listen to MD's at home. Do most people here just plug in their portable to a stereo? Because it seems that not many people have made the jump to a deck/bookshelf, but there isn't really another way, especially if you want a non-wired remote to listen from bed/across the room/ect.

Any thoughts? Because 500+ is alot for the X-B8, but just getting the MD-105FX is already 300+, and would have to get speakers, reciever, ect...

First of all I don't have the money for the Hi-MD deck. Secondly I like the feature on RH1 that can actually normalized and level each track automatically from different CDs. That is the most important feature for me. I don't think the onkyo has this feature.

A Hi-MD deck would be nice, but running a line cable from the RH1/line out directly to a stereo's aux in seems to work fine and sounds more than passable. In fact I usually plug the line out into my JB980's aux in and use DAC and amplify about +10dB mode to give the rather feeble line out signal a boost on its way to the main stereo.

Secondly I like the feature on RH1 that can actually normalized and level each track automatically from different CDs. That is the most important feature for me. I don't think the onkyo has this feature.

Does it? I didn't know that! Is this only when recording optical from CD or also when recording via SonicStage?

I may be completely wrong but I thought the Onkyo's do have a similar feature. I say I may be completely wrong as my Japanese is not so hot and I didn't read the manual in detail but when dubbing CD's to MD, with the DLA-Link Option on, it scans through the cd before recording to do a "Peak Search". I haven't tested this properly but I thought it may be some kind of normalization.

I may be completely wrong but I thought the Onkyo's do have a similar feature. I say I may be completely wrong as my Japanese is not so hot and I didn't read the manual in detail but when dubbing CD's to MD, with the DLA-Link Option on, it scans through the cd before recording to do a "Peak Search". I haven't tested this properly but I thought it may be some kind of normalization.

Peak Search just finds the loudest point of a CD, so you can set the overall recording level to that peak to avoid clippng (going into the red 'over +0dB' level). The level of individual tracks is not adjusted which is what normalisation would do.

Peak Search just finds the loudest point of a CD, so you can set the overall recording level to that peak to avoid clippng (going into the red 'over +0dB' level). The level of individual tracks is not adjusted which is what normalisation would do.

Great (so in other words it's just used by the system to determine the rec. level) - thanks for clearing that up! :ok: