sharpsony

Who owns the MZ-RH1?

Rate this topic

Who owns the MZ-RH1?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Dou YOU own the MZ-RH1?

• Yes, I do.
    • No, I don't.

Being a huge RH1 fan, I'd like to know how many MDCF members own this most perfectly realized Minidisc instrument to date. So don't hesitate to vote... :D

How does one vote twice when one owns two RH1s? Be indulgent with me and pardon my disguised boasting , I'd been out of MD use for a while and got back into it in a rather over-enthusiastic way, as one could say...
The wizard of oz's description fits me exactly. Nobody liked MD more than I did from the very beginning, but SCMS "no digital copy allowed of a digital copy" defeated me in the end because it allowed no maneuvering room. I paid a lot in 1993 -- $599 for the recorder, $15 for 60-min and $17 for 74-min discs -- for such wonderful engineering only to put up with its being hobbled and disabled in its most powerful and useful point. I bought knowing the system limitations but the hopeless nature of the constraints, in practice, gradually overwhelmed its great benefits and led me to abandon the format in 2002. The irony was, even with the great 'Move' capabilities of MD I felt unable to Move anything off of a disc (digitally, the only way that interests me).

I was thrilled to learn about the RH1 January 23 of this year -- literally a dream come true. I had no intention of buying two but ... if I bought one, I needed a spare battery. $45 for a battery is outrageous but $270 for an RH1, which includes a battery, is nice. It's like getting a $45 discount on an already low price. And the second unit already has its spare battery -- the first's. I always had multiple players anyway -- since 1993 2 Sanyo MDG-P1's along with my beautiful AMD-100.

The only shortcoming I have noticed in my first month with 2 RH1's is the inability to record in mono. (I have not been bothered by the eject button zero-ing the display when jarred, although it has happened). Yes, 45 hours on one disc seems like it should be enough, but why not have 90 hours if the system is capable? Entire audiobooks (or more than one) would fit on HiMD 80's. The Bible (72 hrs) would fit on a 1GB disc with room left for plenty of music as a change of pace. Greater track-accessing problems because of the increased content don't apply, at least for me, with audiobooks. I rewind a sentence or two, or a track, regularly but other than that I go through them pretty linearly.

Edited by Karl Myer

I have a black RH1, and seriously considering buying a silver one. Almost impossible here for any money, but I don't give up my hope yet. Although I may probably end up buying another black one for my service mode experiments (and, YES, for the spare battery).

And that $350 bonus last week seems really handy in this situation...

Edited by Avrin

I don't have one and I don't think I'll get one, partly because of the cost and partly because I already own an RH10 which serves me well. I would be interested if they released a lower spec version which would enable me to do the legacy uploading.

I own one and i'm amazed by everything it's capable of. MD has come a long way, but what i don't get is why it hasn't taken off, especially here in the UK. I wonder if it's because of the price or because people just opt for the most popular and marketable product and buy an ipod?

I have a black RH1, and seriously considering buying a silver one.
I wish I could have a black and a silver to differentiate them. The black is very nice but my personal preference runs to silver. I stick a flourescent dot to tell them apart. I didn't have a choice of finish with my Aiwa AMD-100 either. I never saw a Sony MZ-1 in my area. Only the silver Aiwa was available, and only at one store. It was the only one they ever had, to my knowledge, and it was in the showcase a long time before I bought it. But the price was never reduced. Edited by Karl Myer

I own one and i'm amazed by everything it's capable of. MD has come a long way, but what i don't get is why it hasn't taken off, especially here in the UK. I wonder if it's because of the price or because people just opt for the most popular and marketable product and buy an ipod?

If this ever goes down to 249.99 this thing would fly off the shelf.

If this ever goes down to 249.99 this thing would fly off the shelf.

The price of a RH1 in the UK (average price over 200 GBP) compared to a 30GB Ipod (189 GBP) makes it more viable to own an Ipod. With the cost of IGB disc to boot, not cheap. To my mind the minidisc has always been expensive in the UK, but at least they had lower end models for the likes of myself

:wub: I've got one and I agree with Borat regarding the lack of display on the unit and no AA battery attachment. Otherwise it's the greatest thing since...

I own one. best portable audio player i've had. I think it's well worth the cost if your usage is anything to go by.

I use it quite alot for storing/listening to learning material, recording net radio session (can fit an amazing amount on hi-lp hi-md ;)), also store some data on a disk off-site for emergencies.

I considered getting a zip drive, but seeing as I got the RH1 it's best of both worlds. My decision was made easier considering disc life is even better than CD-R :)

Ok, I voted no a while ago.....

BUT

Curiosity has got the better of me and I have just placed an order for one to go with my NH1 and RH10.

I own an RH-1.

Also, we have a dedicated community here. At time of writing:-

Yes, I do. [ 53 ] [79.10%]

No, I don't. [ 14 ] [20.90%]

xD...

I have an RH-1 :give_heart:

Bought it in January and am in the UK, thought it was about time for an upgrade from my trusty MZN-707 and couldnt be happier :D Its my first Hi-MD unit and am well impressed, although I haven't got my head round all of the features yet :) Bought an RM-MC40ELK remote for it almost straight away. Have since acquired a second HiMD in the form of an ebayed NH1 for either the Hifi in the living room or to take with me in the car - so the RH-1 stays in my flat lol. Funds wouldn't stretch to a second RH-1...I daresay I will get another one before they disappear completely (unless sony improve it and release another version) when I have the cash but at the moment alas no.

Great bit of kit - I dont know why someone doesnt like the controls on the RH1, for me it is much easier to get around than the NH1, and thats me speaking as someone who has a disability which comes with fine motor impairment (i.e fiddly buttons are not for me lol)

cheers

Andrew

PS does anyone have a decent Avatar Pic of the RH-1, as I cant find any in the gallery ?

Edited by AndrewMc1

Thank you so much :) If it was a black one it would be perfect but still looks pretty damn cool :dance3:

MZ-NH1 is my first and only MD recorder. I researched the web and this forum before buying from B&H Photo using their "BillMeLater" service.

I am amazed how neat it is. I'm slowly coming up to speed on its huge feature set. As I have no sound recording background it has been a fairly steep learning curve.

My reason for this purchase is that I am making a Super8 film. Had to have a way to record sound effects and clips from here and their.

My only complaint on the NH1 is that the buttons on the control are hard to see. I used a bit of White-out to hi-lite the letters and symbols.

My eyes are not as young as most of the members of this forum.