New Royalty rates enacted by RIAA ,internet radio will die

Rate this topic

Strungup

They are lunatic control freaks. Their idea of copyright seems to be that no one gets to hear the music. Fools.

Amen .....Download "Audion 3 " if you have a Mac , And record as much of the Internet Radio as you can before they start shutting it down , I grew up on Radio , and real DJ's spinning Real Vinyl on Real Turntables. In My view It has only moved from Radio waves to Internet Audience , so why didnt they fight for all these "Copyright Violations " When we were recording and listening to FM

the ONLY difference here is the Audience is Bigger , We still have Commercials etc , and the programming isnt as good as it was on FM days. Anyone here remember the " Kingbiscuit Flour Hour" Or the "Sunday Seven " where they would play Seven Full Albumns in a row

With only a commercial break in between Albumns , and the DJ would TELL YOU , " While the Commercial is going get another tape in your decks , and get it ready ...coming up next Rush Moving Pictures , and after that we will have a Special treat so stay tuned"

Anybody remember that ?

I am just waiting for the "Pay per Play" MP3 player that charges you $0.05 every time you want to listen to music you have already paid to download or because there maybe someone else overhearing your headphones they class it as a public performance and charge a few hundred $'s per minute. It wont be long before the RIAA works this out and forces all MP3 devices to impliment built in charging.

Oh and they stop sales of CD because "No-one is buying them" whereas in reality its because they can jack the prices up from online music sellers without too many people noticing an album now costs over $40 to buy all the same tracks that used to be on a CD.

Sorry but the RIAA et-al really do nark me off.... After nothing but money whichever way is quickest.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the reason they're so uptight about internet radio is recording a digital stream on your computer is a lot higher quality than recording of the radio on a cassette was back in the 70s... My take on it is they need to make buying music online like buying it in the store. You buy it, you can do with it what you want. I wouldn't buy a CD that I could only play in 2 of my CD players, and I sure as hell won't buy a song online that I can only burn a certain number of times or put on a certain number of MP3 players. I think that widespread piracy will die down if they did that (Not saying it would go away, it never will... Seems to me that the RIAA is a group of people that are not satisfied unless they find something to gripe about, same with the MPAA.

As an independent musician on a small mom & pop label (self-made, HMW/Label Cove), it scares me that the ONLY outlet tha will play artists like myself and others will no longer have a place where WE can get heard on a global basis, and that the courts have ruled in favor of Corporate America and the corporate major labels as opposed to supporting the struggling artists who can't even get their CDs sold at stores (Sam Goody and The Wherehouse sell ONLY major label artists) or get heard on the air (thanks to corporate monopolies like Clear Channel and Viacom practically own 5-10 stations in every market and do not care about US) so we can eventually get signed by a "legitimate" record label run by a corporate conglomerate that ran all the mom & pop labels like mine out of business.

As an independent musician on a small mom & pop label (self-made, HMW/Label Cove), it scares me that the ONLY outlet tha will play artists like myself and others will no longer have a place where WE can get heard on a global basis, and that the courts have ruled in favor of Corporate America and the corporate major labels as opposed to supporting the struggling artists who can't even get their CDs sold at stores (Sam Goody and The Wherehouse sell ONLY major label artists) or get heard on the air (thanks to corporate monopolies like Clear Channel and Viacom practically own 5-10 stations in every market and do not care about US) so we can eventually get signed by a "legitimate" record label run by a corporate conglomerate that ran all the mom & pop labels like mine out of business.

Big ... Sounds like you got the point , I have been very subtely trying to get that across . ANY new artist will have to be on an INDePENDANT label , which means almost NO promotion , Which means NOONE hears you , and NOTHING sells, exept the GARBAGE that the conglamerate will have yu listen to . in Japan it is AVEX Trax . If you arent of a certain genre , or of a certain Look and sound , forget it , no contract.

If the RIAA could , they would find a way to charge you FOR PLAYING YOUR OWN MUSIC ( If your on one of there lablels , they already do)

No need to ask " Whats for lunch " it will be the same thing from now on ............

It IS a sad day for independent thinking people and all struggling musicians around the world, let alone here in the U.S.A.

Corporate America once again screws the little guy with this ruling, as an independent musician (and I guess I am speaking for ALL of us), we now have no chance of ever getting heard on a "legitimate" basis, you hit it right on the head, Guitarfxr.

The RIAA must be stopped at any cost, before they and their corporate buddies (NewsCorp, Sony/BMG, EMI/Capitol, Universal, etc.) put all of us out of business and force us to listen to the cookie-cutter pop crap that their buddies from Clear Channel and Viacom (to name a few) cram down our throats which are already parched from all this American Idol garbage that gets played over-and-over again, that are starving for something DIFFERENT and against the grain that is the mainstream.

My Internet station, the Hits of Yesterday (at Live365.com) will die on May 10. I see no future for small webcasters like myself who have spent all my money (no support, no advertisers) on my "hobby". Thanks, RIAA. Thanks, CRB.

-Larry Lovering

www.solidhitsradio.com

www.live365.com/stations/lloverin

Larry , I have actually listened to your station on more than a few occasions , it is the only way I can keep my sanity living in a foreign country. I live in an area where my only source of english is listen to the internet radio.

know that people like you will be sorely missed , and if you ever feel so inclined e-mail me some music , hook up with me on Skype or something.

Thx for what you did do ..... live365 was cool

As a Brit living in Canada I find the only thing I miss avout living in the UK is BBC Radio. There is nothing on the airwaves here in North America that compares with the diversity and originality of British radio and the only thing that keeps me sane it the fact that i can stream the broadcasts via the interent. Anyone who wants to listen to something other than the dreadful FM output over here could do a lot worse than drop in to the BBC website. For rock and indie stuff BBC 6 is the best place to start. For jazz and classical BBC 3 is the place to be.

Here's your starting point - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ - Happy listening

I agree with that, especially, as you will find out, with a handful of corporate conglomerates (Clear Channel, Rogers, Infinity, Viacom, etc.) run every radio station in North America, and care more about commercials rather than the music they play.

Also, avoid the notorious JACK-FM AT ANY COST...... it is CRAP.

BTW, I have already put the BBC family of stations on my favorites list. Thanks.