Microphone cable

Rate this topic

wivernart

The extension cable shouldn't be adding noise, unless conceivably you have something generating huge amounts of radio frequencies in the area: powerlines, radio transmitters, etc. Probably it's just something wrong with the cable, though. Try a different cheap one, and if that still gets the buzz, look for a shielded extension cable.

Edited by A440

Actually I did a recording of a Shakuhachi Master , who visited my home , and I set up two mics one ran behind my Computer to one side of the room and the other didnt cross anything to my side of the room , these were moderate cables , the left channel of the recording was completely ususable the noise was ferocious.

Make sure that the cable isnt anywhere near power supplies , computer, TV , etc ,

The cable going to a MD mic input becomes a Live Wire , there is a voltage going thru it , that by default introduces inductance.

440 might wanna argue with me on this but I know electronics , doing guitar amp repair , etc , Some cables if you touch or move them you will hear it I have a Cheap 20 dollar stereo mic that the whole length of extention cable acts like a pickup , I can set it on the sound board of my guitar and it will transmit the vibrations quite well , that is with a sponge and sock over the mic. Take the same cable put it on a different mic , ...nothing , not a sound, so check both the mic and the cable , You might want a nicer mic.

Thanks guyz, I didnt realise that other equipment would have an effect; will try different venues and suss if its a cable problem or not. Many thanks!

Actually I did a recording of a Shakuhachi Master , who visited my home , and I set up two mics one ran behind my Computer to one side of the room and the other didnt cross anything to my side of the room , these were moderate cables , the left channel of the recording was completely ususable the noise was ferocious.

Make sure that the cable isnt anywhere near power supplies , computer, TV , etc ,

The cable going to a MD mic input becomes a Live Wire , there is a voltage going thru it , that by default introduces inductance.

440 might wanna argue with me on this but I know electronics , doing guitar amp repair , etc , Some cables if you touch or move them you will hear it I have a Cheap 20 dollar stereo mic that the whole length of extention cable acts like a pickup , I can set it on the sound board of my guitar and it will transmit the vibrations quite well , that is with a sponge and sock over the mic. Take the same cable put it on a different mic , ...nothing , not a sound, so check both the mic and the cable , You might want a nicer mic.

Thanks guyz, I didnt realise that other equipment would have an effect; will try different venues and suss if its a cable problem or not. Many thanks!

The extension cable shouldn't be adding noise, unless conceivably you have something generating huge amounts of radio frequencies in the area: powerlines, radio transmitters, etc. Probably it's just something wrong with the cable, though. Try a different cheap one, and if that still gets the buzz, look for a shielded extension cable.