recording problem

Rate this topic

teopoz

hi to all I'm new in this forum I'm here cause I've taken a used mic and md to record sound (for a short movie) instead the mic of the videocamera!

the mic is a Sony ECM-959A Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone that have a AA battery inside to power it but recording with a minidisk by sharp that I've bought on ebay (mt88) it have line in and mic in but recording with mic in H and L (even at the max sensibility) the clip have a very low level and a lot of noise.

I think that the two unit are in good order infact:

For the minidisk if I plug a cheap microphone in the mic in, it work and with not as noisy as with the sony mic ...and I've to set at not high sensibility

and also for the mic (the sony one) I've plug it in a guitar amplifier and works good

if I plug it in the stereo(radio cd) that have a mic in or in the pc mic in (audacity) I've got the same problem of the minidisk ...low level clips

did you think I need a preamp ....if so I've looked at it (price in particular) and are very expansive

so looking on the net i've found some pcb scheme:

http://www.geocities.com/ferocious_...p2.html#circuit

and

http://www.audacity-forum.de/downlo...-mic-preamp.gif

I'm also a newbe in electronics but looking at the scheme I think is not so difficult to build

what did you think?

I attach also the spec of my mic and the md

for now many thanks to all

best reguards

Matteo Pozzi

post-55785-1178115131_thumb.jpg

post-55785-1178115150_thumb.jpg

Matteo - I am guessing that you have your record levels set too high on your minidisc. If you have a mic sensitivity setting, try it at low. If that is not enough, lower your recording levels. I have a similar mic, ECM-MS957 and it works fine, when the levels and mic sensitivity are set right. Let us know how that works.

Cheers

hi to all I'm new in this forum I'm here cause I've taken a used mic and md to record sound (for a short movie) instead the mic of the videocamera!

the mic is a Sony ECM-959A Electret Condenser Stereo Microphone that have a AA battery inside to power it but recording with a minidisk by sharp that I've bought on ebay (mt88) it have line in and mic in but recording with mic in H and L (even at the max sensibility) the clip have a very low level and a lot of noise.

I think that the two unit are in good order infact:

For the minidisk if I plug a cheap microphone in the mic in, it work and with not as noisy as with the sony mic ...and I've to set at not high sensibility

and also for the mic (the sony one) I've plug it in a guitar amplifier and works good

if I plug it in the stereo(radio cd) that have a mic in or in the pc mic in (audacity) I've got the same problem of the minidisk ...low level clips

did you think I need a preamp ....if so I've looked at it (price in particular) and are very expansive

so looking on the net i've found some pcb scheme:

http://www.geocities.com/ferocious_...p2.html#circuit

and

http://www.audacity-forum.de/downlo...-mic-preamp.gif

I'm also a newbe in electronics but looking at the scheme I think is not so difficult to build

what did you think?

I attach also the spec of my mic and the md

for now many thanks to all

best reguards

Matteo Pozzi

Matteo , I have the same mic , ECM959a , I know exactly what the mic should sound like , and what your describing sounds like there is something wrong with the mic , or the power from the mic plug (in the MD) is not being handled properly by the mic .

I recorded a Thuderstorm with the ECM959a ,and had some pretty BIG thunder , if a mic is going to distort ..that is when it will do it .

I had plugged an Audio Technica AT822 Stereo mic into a MicroTrack 24/96 , which has a small stereo mic input and got EXACTLY the same thing that you are describing. My AT822 is OK it works fine on the Sony MD Recorders that I have . But on the Micro track it was Horrible. I am thinking it is a power issue.

Try making a small box , with two Capacitors inside , and 1/8" stereo input , and output . Put that between the MD and the Mic

Input ( stereo mini plug) - capacitor from left of input , to left of output, another capacitor from right of input to right of output , Ground wire to ground of both in and out.

stereo cable out- to MD . The noise should be gone

what you describe is wha a "Ground Fault " sounds like ,the capacitors lift the signal from the ground .

Also the links you posted do not work

Edited by Guitarfxr

many thanks to all

I've tried to set the sensitivity at a lower power and it works fine but sound are too soft and low

maybe I'm expecting too much from the mics!?

tonight if I've the right cable I'll try to connect mic-->guitar amplifier(that work fine with the mic)-->line out from the ampli -->line in md

and see what I get

if it dosen't work I'll try so follow the instruction from Guitarfxr

best reguards

Matteo

many thanks to all

I've tried to set the sensitivity at a lower power and it works fine but sound are too soft and low

maybe I'm expecting too much from the mics!?

tonight if I've the right cable I'll try to connect mic-->guitar amplifier(that work fine with the mic)-->line out from the ampli -->line in md

and see what I get

if it dosen't work I'll try so follow the instruction from Guitarfxr

best reguards

Matteo

Mateo , do a google search on " Blocking Capacitors" you will get plenty of info

• 9 years later...

Hello, I have recently inherited the same mic, ECM 959 A.

the new battery seems to be giving a red flashing signal, however, the mic doesn't give any other signs of life. 

I have opened it up half way (photos attached) and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations how to fix it based on the first look. Is there anything I should solder in? I'm very new to this, so bare with my incompetence in the matter. Is it missing some part or a wire? The previous owner had it for about 4 years in the same condition. Any advice would be highly-highly appreciated.

Thank you,

IMG_0181.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg