Sony MZ-RH710- UK version: volume hack?

Rate this topic

BIGHMW

I just bought a UK Edition of the Sony MZ-RH710, after reading this review on it:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11669

All I need now is a volume hack for this Euro-capped unit, which goes with my vintage 1990s Case Logic PS-2 Neoprene Cassette Sport Belt (the smaller pouch in this two-pouch design fits post-2000 MD units perfectly), RM-MC60 remote and MDR-EX71SL earbuds for my inline skating gear for this year.

Can anybody help with perhaps a link or something?

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

I would like to know the answer to this as well since I have the Rh-710.

I remember a thread a while back which allowed SP recording on the RH-10, which also supposedly worked on the rest of the RH line. It scares me going into service mode in any case, maybe it's best just to leave it.

It seems to suggest that the RH710 info is missing. Mine certainly doesn't sound very loud so I would suspect it is volume capped. Maybe I can dig up the manual and confirm.

Edit - apparently a few people also had a Rh710 and the volume hack worked. But as there are huge risks involved I will think hard before I try this.

Edited by kino170878

I just bought a UK Edition of the Sony MZ-RH710, after reading this review on it:

http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showtopic=11669

All I need now is a volume hack for this Euro-capped unit, which goes with my vintage 1990s Case Logic PS-2 Neoprene Cassette Sport Belt (the smaller pouch in this two-pouch design fits post-2000 MD units perfectly), RM-MC60 remote and MDR-EX71SL earbuds for my inline skating gear for this year.

Can anybody help with perhaps a link or something?

Thanks,

Ray Jackson

Ray, I've got an "Euro" RH710 I try this procedure... http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?showt...mp;hl=hat+trick

works very good for my Hi-MD, with any problems. You can read all the opinions. Good Luck!

Sorry for my very basic english.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my MZ-RH710 from the UK today, I did the volume hack and got my 2 custom EQ's and a bit more volume (not much difference although it IS louder somehow with the custom EQ), now I have a perfect setup (which also includes an RM-MC60 remote and MDR-EX71SL IEM's) for my inline skate gear and plan to hit the skates three times a week for a much-needed workout, as I am 15 pounds overweight, and need to get into better shape in time for summer.

Xtra Thanx 2 both Karisu and Ishiyoshi :pleasantry: for the info on the volume hack, it was simple, it wouldn't take Cindy Margolis' brilliant mind to figure it out.

Edited by BIGHMW

• 5 years later...

I have just got one of these and would like to get the EQ working but none of the links on these forums seem to work anymore. I have tried a search for topic 9752 which I think is the '2n gen hi-md hack' procedure but only go to the home page of Sony Insider can anyone give me the hack for mz RH710 please.

Allan

With the 'Hold' switch on, and while pressing 'Menu', press FF FF RW RW FF RW FF RW Pause Pause.
[FF = Fast Forward | RW = Rewind]

1.) Press the 'Vol +' key to enter the Manual mode.
2.) Press the 'FF' key five times to select the item number 0113.
3.) Press the 'Vol +'/'Vol -'key and set the value that is after "DistFL" to 24.
4.) Press the 'Pause' key on the unit to set the change.
5.) Press the 'Stop' key four times and then remove the battery or whatever is powering the unit. Turn it back on and enjoy!

For those of you in Europe, you now have a full equalizer, no restriction on volume, and Kanji/etc support. icon_biggrin.gif North American unit owners can do the same for better language support.

I think this should work.It´s the 2nd Gen Hack..

Iam not sure bout the Menu key as it could be you should try another key.

Does the RH710 have the Menu key..?

Just try and figure out..

Greetz

With the 'Hold' switch on, and while pressing 'Menu', press FF FF RW RW FF RW FF RW Pause Pause.

[FF = Fast Forward | RW = Rewind]

1.) Press the 'Vol +' key to enter the Manual mode.

2.) Press the 'FF' key five times to select the item number 0113.

3.) Press the 'Vol +'/'Vol -'key and set the value that is after "DistFL" to 24.

4.) Press the 'Pause' key on the unit to set the change.

5.) Press the 'Stop' key four times and then remove the battery or whatever is powering the unit. Turn it back on and enjoy!

For those of you in Europe, you now have a full equalizer, no restriction on volume, and Kanji/etc support. icon_biggrin.gif North American unit owners can do the same for better language support.

I think this should work.It´s the 2nd Gen Hack..

Iam not sure bout the Menu key as it could be you should try another key.

Does the RH710 have the Menu key..?

Just try and figure out..

Greetz

That worked a treat thanks

I must say I like the tone of this unit, I encode at atrac3 105 and it gives a warm sound much like a high end Cassette hifi unit.

The piano black finish gives it a very modern look and I'm asked what it is and were can it be bought from.

Cheers

Allan

• 5 years later...

If you look at the service manual (freely available from Elektrotanya) the settings indicate that 0113 is supposed to be 80 and the destFL is really contained in 0114.

Not sure exactly what you've done there but it sounds interesting. As long as you change AEP (0114=A0) to something else, that should deal with volume hack. The 25 setting sounds like it's features (cf the article here on adding equalizer etc to earlier units).

• 9 months later...
On 5/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, Praedor said:

Hi

On my MZ-RH710, I don't have "DistFL" at 113 I have changing numbers for the first 3 digits and SA0 for the last 3 digits.

Does anyone have any suggestion what I should set it to to get Custom EQ?

Thanks.

Paul

Hi Paul, I encountered the same situation with my RH710.

Blinking+changing parameter for 0113. Not sure which one to choose (volume hack+custom EQ)

I saw in your other post that you figured out the values for RH600 which I can not find available for this 710 unit in service manual.

How did you figure out the values for the RH600? Could you do the same for your RH710, what values did you choose? 

Thank you!!

Looks like someone has mucked up your unit. 113 should be 80. To get no volume limit, you probably want E destination which is by setting 114 to 24. Whoever did this got it backward. Strongly suggest you follow the directions on page 19 in the Service Manual.

2 hours ago, sfbp said:

Looks like someone has mucked up your unit. 113 should be 80. To get no volume limit, you probably want E destination which is by setting 114 to 24. Whoever did this got it backward. Strongly suggest you follow the directions on page 19 in the Service Manual.

Hi Paul. First of all thank you very much for your help and encouragement. In the end I just switched both 01123 and 0114 to S25.

The custom EQ is there now. I am very happy about this.

(I still don´t understand where the S25 comes from, I can´t see it anywhere in the service manual)

About max/hacked volume is hard to tell...is the improvement significant?  I am checking page 19 which  instructs how to change 113 to 

a) SS 1A 20 94

Or

b) SS 1B F1 1A

But i am not sure what this really does and which of these 2 sets of parameters to choose (?)

So - it looks like the 113 is some kind of a bit field, where each bit turns on or off a feature independently of the other. There's a nice example of this over at

http://minidisc.org/mzr700_to_mzr900.html

As to the magic parameters after 114, your guess is as good as mine. The MZRH1 is much much worse. Luckily for me the jog lever gave up working a long time ago and I cannot get into service mode on the RH1 ;)