Finally took the plunge...

Rate this topic

UMWOOFWOOFF

Welp, finally did it...

I made the plunge into Hi-MD for the second time (the first time was a non-working DOA Onkyo MD-133 from some **** on Craig's List so that doesn't really count). I had a $25 coupon from Amazon, so it was a pretty good deal!

Woo hoo!!!

With literally dozens upon dozens upon dozens upon dozens of home MD decks, I figured I better make room for at least one working Hi-MD unit. I'm mainly going to use it to simply make PCM copies of some reel to reel material for safe keeping and archiving (I've yet to have a single problem with MD regarding reading/playing a disc over the last 10 years while I've yet to have ANY CD-R that I recorded over 3 years ago PLAY without SOME type of problem). I will use my one of my MDS-JA333ES or 555ES home decks for the A/D conversion (these are absolutely dead silent) for the transfers to Hi-MD; 90 percent of home decks' A/D converters are uselessly noisy and hissy. Still, I'm still going to use regular MD for recording and listening since Hi-MD isn't really supported in a realisitc way regarding home or car decks.

But again, woo hoo!!!

:)

Good luck with your new RH1. You will not be disappointed ! I have had absolutely no problems with mine(knock on wood).

I just came back after three years of poor quality IPod listening. I have the first unit Sony made and an Aiwa boombox Cd/MD player recorder and just ordered a RH1. I've been listening to my older discs for the last couple weeks and am amazed that the quality is better than the IPod hands down.

Edited by SourMilkMoon

Well, I got the RH1 yesterday. I had hoped the unit would record from CD in my MAC but that isnt the caase, but my old MDs sound great in this unit so I'm happy but not thrilled. I may have to hijack my kids PC and install the software to see what goes.

Well, I got the RH1 yesterday. I had hoped the unit would record from CD in my MAC but that isnt the caase, but my old MDs sound great in this unit so I'm happy but not thrilled. I may have to hijack my kids PC and install the software to see what goes.

If you want to get your CDs to your RH1 with a Mac, all you need to do is use iTunes or some other software to rip the CD to WAV or Mp3 (whichever you prefer) and then grab the newest version of the Hi-MD music transfer software (you can get it from the downloads section here in the forums). Then just drag the WAV/Mp3 files into the window to transfer. I think you have to drag the files themselves, I don't think you can drag from the iTunes window.

If you want to upload your older discs you will need to do that with a PC though.

Edited by raintheory

Actually , iTunes if you go into Preferences , Then Advanced , Then klik the Import tab , you can set iTunes to import several types of files , both Wav , and Mp3 are supported on the RH1 , , you can select several bitrates for the mp3 as well.

I am looking for the very best quality, whcih setting would you advise?

Thanks

Well best Quality means more disk space,

That is the thing with mp3 , it is a compromise , How many songs do you want , How good do you want it to sound

You have a 1gb disc when you use a HiMD , you have about 300 mb when you use a standard MD

( Both have to be formatted HiMD , to use mp3's )

Leave a couple of MB on each disc for system file info. then figure out your bitrate on the import side to equal the disc space /Song number combination , and there you go. Drag and drop to MD Transfer from the song folder ( not from iTunes)

Thanks for your imput. Rigt now I'm loading as mp3 files so they can fit on standard MD disks as I like the 2 bucks a disc cost, but I will play with the Wav on Hi Md discks and see if the sound improvement is worth it. Any other thoughts are appreciated

I think PCM is overkill, I can hear the difference, but it is so insignificant that it won't matter. Much like weighing yourself and then a bug hops onto the scale. But do atleast try it once. I think 352kbps is the perfect bitrate for high quality sound in less space than PCM. The difference between Hi-SP(256kbps) and PCM is noticeable, so I try to limit it to tracks that aren't as important, but do note that I never go below 256, can't stand it.