Huh? Group Set on mz-rh1?

Rate this topic

trager

Hey everybody.

I hate to post with a comparatively trivial/boring matter, but can anybody tell me how to create a group on the RH1? (I'm not using SonicStage.) I recorded four albums on four separate occasions via optical to a 1GB disk, each time with Group Record on, and then I took Group Record off so that I could record 15 or so b-sides from various CD singles without having to do so all in one go. Now I want to group those b-sides together as 'Group 5,' but I can't find the Group Set or equivalent function, and I've looked through the manual twice. Am I just being really dumb? I'm confused because I remember this being as easy as pie on the NH1 using that oh-so-well-loved MC40ELK. (Edit - Group Set - STR/END) Could it be that the RH1 won't allow you to collect together already recorded tracks as a new group - that it will only let you record new groups and then rearrange them? Surely not! I'm kind of confused.

I've tried to find this information in the FAQ and via Google etc. and I can't. Any advice very welcome indeed. I'm still something of a newbie so please don't flame me if this post sucks! Which I guess it may do.

Thanks.

Hey everybody.

I hate to post with a comparatively trivial/boring matter, but can anybody tell me how to create a group on the RH1? (I'm not using SonicStage.) I recorded four albums on four separate occasions via optical to a 1GB disk, each time with Group Record on, and then I took Group Record off so that I could record 15 or so b-sides from various CD singles without having to do so all in one go. Now I want to group those b-sides together as 'Group 5,' but I can't find the Group Set or equivalent function, and I've looked through the manual twice. Am I just being really dumb? I'm confused because I remember this being as easy as pie on the NH1 using that oh-so-well-loved MC40ELK. (Edit - Group Set - STR/END) Could it be that the RH1 won't allow you to collect together already recorded tracks as a new group - that it will only let you record new groups and then rearrange them? Surely not! I'm kind of confused.

I've tried to find this information in the FAQ and via Google etc. and I can't. Any advice very welcome indeed. I'm still something of a newbie so please don't flame me if this post sucks! Which I guess it may do.

Thanks.

Are you using the 40 ELK with the RH1 ? I never use groups but with the 40 there are a lot of extra funtions available

Hi trager, I dont think its possible. What you should've done is record one of your B-sides in a group (this creates a new group), then switch group off and record the rest. Then you should be able to move the remaining tracks into this B-side group. Another alternative method is to connect to Sonicstage and do the arranging there... I think the "later" units were more designed to be connected to a PC.

Thanks for your help, guys. I guess it's just not possible. I tried plugging the 40ELK into the rh1 but it still doesn't give me the option.

I think you're right, RoGeR - my preference for using optical over USB is just not in fashion anymore. I always saw hi-fis and computers as separate things, you know? First time I saw usb implementation on a md I pretty much ran in the opposite direction. I do appreciate the upload side of things though. Ah well.

Cheers anyway!

I'm very disappointed by what I just read. I just bought a RH1 and haven't even plugged it in yet. I've used a NH1 for awhile now - I record CD's often and use "Group Set" and "Group Release" all the time. I thought the RH1 could do anything the NH1 could do and then some. Am I reading the above correctly in that the RH1 doesn't have simple "Group Set" and "Group Release" functions?

So, on an RH1, if I have tracks not part of a group, I can't do a simple thing as to create a group from tracks right next to each other?

I don't have a computer, and never use sonic stage.

Hi Yesshows91. I'm not sure if anyone has managed to work out how to do this yet, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible to perform Group Set or Group Release on the RH1 at all, only Group Record, then Group Move/Delete and moving a single track into or out of a group. I too have only recently bought the RH1, after using the NH1 for about a year - only rarely with a PC, and as much as I love it, I'm disappointed by the functionality in this regard. It's such a small thing that's missing but it makes such a big difference. The fact that the general 'Group' system is fully implemented makes me think this is more an oversight on Sony's part than a conscious decision. Mind you, the whole menu system seems strangely set out, in that titling can only be done on the remote, but Move and Erase can only be done on the recorder - accessed via a long press on a small button that doesn't feel like you'd want to press it too hard too often.

I too was expecting the RH1 to be the NH1 with extras, but it seems this is not the case. It pleased me no end when Sony switched their marketing focus away from the 'MP3 generation' and started targeting professional recordists and the like, but it seems that somewhere along the line, Sony forgot about a third group - the people who want a reliable portable music solution that doesn't *require* them to use a computer - the kind of people who went out and bought R70s and R90s. I myself do sometimes use MD and Hi-MD for recording, and so occasionally I connect to a PC, but for the most part, I simply want to make copies of CDs using an optical cable - something that's been possible with minidisc for nearly fifteen years. And if you're using a 1GB disc in Hi-SP, you're gonna need to use groups. It no longer seems to occur to Sony that the entire functionality of the recorder should be available to users without a PC. They're now leaving gaps, almost as if the RH1 is a computer peripheral. Notice that 'Using the recorder with a computer' is now the first thing in the manual, whereas in my N710 and NH1 manuals, it's one of the last. If I wanted to use a PC all the time, and only wanted something to play music, I imagine I'd go and buy something with an 'i' at the start of it.

So perhaps the RH1 is only so impressive because it's very pretty and an improvement on the 2nd generation machines? If you're not a recordist, and you don't want to be connecting to a PC as a matter of course, I'd say the NH1 is probably a better bet. It feels much sturdier if nothing else. Even if you are a recordist, unless you have a box of recordings on legacy discs I'm not entirely sure what the RH1 offers you that the NH1 doesn't. (Although I'm no expert.) Many people seem to be plugging their MC40ELKs into their RH1s anyway, for on-the-fly record levels. And as for native MP3 support, to me that seems like buying a house because they said you could keep the curtains.

Hi Yesshows91. I'm not sure if anyone has managed to work out how to do this yet, but as far as I can tell, it's not possible to perform Group Set or Group Release on the RH1 at all, only Group Record, then Group Move/Delete and moving a single track into or out of a group.

I just searched the MZ-RH1 PDF manual for "release" and it doesn't seem to exist in the manual. Yet another odd feature/design choice of the RH1, it seems? What's weird is I don't think anyone has discussed this in the past, or I may just be going senile.

Hi "trager" - I really appreciate your long and detailed response. I agree with everything you say. I have an extensive music collection, and I enjoy recording from CDs, DVDs, Laserdiscs, VHS tapes, and vinyl records. The NH1 makes this really easy, and I don't know of another Sony, Apple, or any other MP3 "like" product that comes close. Who heard of recording a Laserdisc to an Ipod? I'm not saying it's totally impossible, but the Sony NH1 makes it really easy to connect stereo equipement to a portable device and not a computer.

So, before I return my RH1 and try to find another NH1, does anyone else have any other comments on the benefits of an RH1 over an NH1? I could find out for myself, but I don't want to pull my RH1 out of the box and tinker with it - because the more I do, it will loose value as I try to resell it. Right now, I can say that I never used it.

Anyone know where I could find a brand new NH1? - I only found very high prices on Amazon.

Besides looking retro-chic and sounding pretty damn awesome, the RH1 is IMHO pretty crap functionally. My greatest gripe was its lack of a Group button on the main unit as I hate using the remote with my PX100s. I mean, why bother shrinking it down on size but missing out on the vital button!! HiMD was meant to enable loads of tracks on one HiMD, so why cant i skip groups without resorting to the remote!!?

I much prefer my RH10 for an everyday road warrior.

Edited by RoGeR