Hi-MD should not be finished.

Rate this topic

Guest Gray Rider

Guest Gray Rider

I own the NH1 and RH1 and have been excessively happy with them. Mostly I like the sound a lot (I think its the HD amp), sometimes I think I prefer it more than CD. CD sounds too big and heavy. iPods sound really bad in comparison. Also I like grouping together types of songs on Hi-MD discs eg. Disco Tracks. It's just right using atracplus 256. You get about 7-8 hours of listening and go through all the tracks which you can't do on iPods. Sony should not stop making Hi-MD units because they sound so much better and are the classic disc/tape format where you can bunch together just the right amount of tracks. Also, it would be a shame since the units seem to look and sound better with time. I hope there will be a new unit 1-2 years from now.

I own the NH1 and RH1 and have been excessively happy with them. Mostly I like the sound a lot (I think its the HD amp), sometimes I think I prefer it more than CD. CD sounds too big and heavy. iPods sound really bad in comparison. Also I like grouping together types of songs on Hi-MD discs eg. Disco Tracks. It's just right using atracplus 256. You get about 7-8 hours of listening and go through all the tracks which you can't do on iPods. Sony should not stop making Hi-MD units because they sound so much better and are the classic disc/tape format where you can bunch together just the right amount of tracks. Also, it would be a shame since the units seem to look and sound better with time. I hope there will be a new unit 1-2 years from now.

Wassup Gray Rider I only use my RH1 for recordings because I have a Creative Mp3 player; Does the difference in sound is a lot compared to an mp3 Player?

I never use Hi-Mds as players before and I will give it a try but what is the best format to listen to music in my Hi-Md?

You get about 7-8 hours of listening and go through all the tracks which you can't do on iPods.

Yes you can. It's called playlist. Even better, there's smart playlist with live updating where it can automatically cycle your songs.

Sony should not stop making Hi-MD units because they sound so much better and are the classic disc/tape format where you can bunch together just the right amount of tracks. Also, it would be a shame since the units seem to look and sound better with time. I hope there will be a new unit 1-2 years from now.

Why should Sony focus on a dying propietary format? By a year or 2, flash memory will be so cheap that even any advantages of MD/HiMD as a media will be less and less. Today you can already get 1GB flash memory for under $15. As for sound, digital is digital, as long the device use good decoder chip/amp/etc, the device will sound good whatever the source is. Sony themselves are already cutting corners on their network walkmen (noisy output).

MD/HiMD had their potential, and MD in fact was a success (in Japan). But this is 2007. Other technologies are advancing while Sony could'nt even figure out how to market HiMD before it was too late.

Edited by pata2001

Guest Gray Rider

Wassup Gray Rider I only use my RH1 for recordings because I have a Creative Mp3 player; Does the difference in sound is a lot compared to an mp3 Player?

I never use Hi-Mds as players before and I will give it a try but what is the best format to listen to music in my Hi-Md?

I think there is a big difference compred to the ipod I use to own. I preferred the compressed 256 Hi-Sp sound of the RH1 to WAV of iPod. There's something pleasant about the sound of the NH1/RH1, I can't put my finger on it, it seems enhanced even though it is compressed. I'm addicted to it. I never want to lose it. iPods just sound dull and bad. I want Hi-MD to continue because the units only improve with time and its a laser interface unlike DAPs I think CD/MD sound smoother and cleaner, as if read from a smooth surface by laser, which is also why I record using simple-burner only which doesn't store the song on the computer...

I think there is a big difference compred to the ipod I use to own. I preferred the compressed 256 Hi-Sp sound of the RH1 to WAV of iPod. There's something pleasant about the sound of the NH1/RH1, I can't put my finger on it, it seems enhanced even though it is compressed. I'm addicted to it. I never want to lose it. iPods just sound dull and bad. I want Hi-MD to continue because the units only improve with time and its a laser interface unlike DAPs I think CD/MD sound smoother and cleaner, as if read from a smooth surface by laser, which is also why I record using simple-burner only which doesn't store the song on the computer...

I've always like the sound of ATRAC and MD/HiMD myself. I think you just like one device over another. I know when I did blind back to back testing with my MD/HiMD, CD portable and MP3 players, I ended up picking the MP3 player. But my HiMD NH700 doesn't have a HD amp. Maybe thats why.

If you do some digging around there are ways to improve the sound from a iPod. Some iPods are better than otherws too. Head-Fi is a good place to start. But if you are happy with HiMD why change.

Depending on your use, sound quality is not the only factor on selecting an audio player. Some things I find VERY useful about MD is:

1. I can have several files with the same name. You cannot have this in the same directory on an MP3 player.

2. I can change the order of the tracks in the list that sets the standard playback order. On an MP3 player, the order is the order it was copied into the directory.

3. If I want to put a different version of a track I can copy it to the Minidisc, delete the old version, and move the new one to the same place in the file list the old one was. It will play in the same order as before.

4. If I find an error in a track name, album title, artist, I can correct it right then without a computer.

5. Since I often deal with tracks of several hours, it is very convenient to add track marks on either side of unwanted material and delete it, rejoin the tracks. Takes less time then copy track to PC, play again to find what I want to remove, and rejoin. I just do it as I listen on my MD.

1. I can have several files with the same name. You cannot have this in the same directory on an MP3 player.

2. I can change the order of the tracks in the list that sets the standard playback order. On an MP3 player, the order is the order it was copied into the directory.

3. If I want to put a different version of a track I can copy it to the Minidisc, delete the old version, and move the new one to the same place in the file list the old one was. It will play in the same order as before.

4. If I find an error in a track name, album title, artist, I can correct it right then without a computer.

5. Since I often deal with tracks of several hours, it is very convenient to add track marks on either side of unwanted material and delete it, rejoin the tracks. Takes less time then copy track to PC, play again to find what I want to remove, and rejoin. I just do it as I listen on my MD.

1. That is correct, on a DAPs use folder based browsing. On DAPs that use ID3/database browsing, filenames don't matter anymore. MD uses a database (TOC). If MD use a true folder based browsing, it will have the problem.

2. Depending on the DAP model, some models feature on-the-go playlist where you can create your own order of tracks on the fly.

3. I can't see why this is a problem on any DAPs, as long as the filename/ID3 tags are the same.

4 & 5. True, for an MD recorder. MD players, downloaders, and obviously Digital Audio Players cannot do this.

I don't think there's anybody denying MD's recording abilities. A DAP is a player, so pointing out that a player not being able to do what a recorder does is just obvious, isn't it?

Edited by pata2001

Theres no doubt that HiMD/MD is great at a lot of things. Its especially great for home tapers and recorders. I love the gadgetness of the devices too. A lot DAPs are not great gadets. But I wouldn't agree with some of your points.

You're confusing tags with filenames. Also a database with filetree. Most DAPs can do more or less the same thing.

You can do this on a lot of players. They are called playlists.

You can do this on most DAPs aswell. Maybe I misunderstand what you mean though.

Fire enough most DAPs cannot do this. (I think some can though) But then you have transfer it back for it to be any good, and delete the misnamed track from the computer.

Again this is something that few DAPs can do. I used to do that a bit with SP MD discs. But with HiMD I prefer doing editing on a PC myself. Transfers are a pain on MD/HiMD because its slow.

Most other DAPs are a lot quicker at transferring files to and from the unit.

I was referring to the File Name, not the ID3 Tag.

I am aware of filelists, that is why I said standard playback order. I find that more convienent. I find building playlists a hassle many times unless I have a quick way to do it.

Changing the generation of a file is still easier simply because I can have several files of the same name. Yes you can copy a newer file into a directory and it will replace the one with the same name, and also wind up at the bottom of the standard playback order

These limitations will also apply to MP3 recorders, one of the suggested replacements for MD. I thought we were discussing replacements for HiMD

My comment about renaming etc was assuming a PC is not available. I do not carry a PC with me camping, many times when I travel etc. I may be gone days at a time, nice to be able to do some things without a PC.

I am not saying HiMD is the ideal solution for everyone, just saying it has some very definite advantages for many uses and trying to bring up some that are rarely mentioned even on this forum.

I was referring to the File Name, not the ID3 Tag.

I am aware of filelists, that is why I said standard playback order. I find that more convienent. I find building playlists a hassle many times unless I have a quick way to do it.

Your confusing me now. AFAIK...You can't see the filename on HiMD you can only see the ATRAC tag info. Its sorting based on this tag order usually. Same thing as ID3 tag. I dunno what you mean by standard playback order. On most DAPs thats simply how the music is sorted, or if its in shuffle mode etc. Most DAPs have very fast ways of building playlists. Many have dynamic playists aswell. Some use filetree aswell, or instead.

Changing the generation of a file is still easier simply because I can have several files of the same name. Yes you can copy a newer file into a directory and it will replace the one with the same name, and also wind up at the bottom of the standard playback order

Whats the "generation" of a file? Why does it end up at the end of the playback order?

My comment about renaming etc was assuming a PC is not available. I do not carry a PC with me camping, many times when I travel etc. I may be gone days at a time, nice to be able to do some things without a PC.

If you are doing a lot of recording while camping that makes sense. Otherwise I prefer to use a keyboard to enter titles or an online database.

I am not saying HiMD is the ideal solution for everyone, just saying it has some very definite advantages for many uses and trying to bring up some that are rarely mentioned even on this forum.

I like to hear more detail about them as I don't quite understand tbh.

Standard playback: the order the tracks play back without any shuffle, play list etc. Just play the disk

Generation of a file: I often have several copies of a track that are edited differently, several "generations". That terminology may not be the best, but that is what they are called on computers when files have been updated.

Standard playback: the order the tracks play back without any shuffle, play list etc. Just play the disk

Generation of a file: I often have several copies of a track that are edited differently, several "generations". That terminology may not be the best, but that is what they are called on computers when files have been updated.

Why do you think you can't do either on anything other than MD/HiMD?

How do you know one "generation" from another?