Blue Ray Mini Disc Walkman

Rate this topic

amniceguy

I had some ideas for the next Sony Mini Disc. It would be nice if Sony made a Blue Ray Mini Disc that plays/records movies on your walkman and music touch screen no buttons to press only on top for Video Camera and supports MDLP and Hi-md formats. And has a docking device on it. So it would be more impressive to be used as a portable boom box. I try to submit my idea to Sony they made real difficult to get a hold of them. Everytime I call get a voice recording operator can't even get a hold of a real person now days. If you can somehow tell sony about this cool idea cool. I don't want any money out it just want another Md.

Edited by amniceguy

I don't even know where to begin on this. What I [think] I'm getting out of this, is you want some sort of touch screen only walkman, that uses a "Blu-Ray MiniDisc" if you will, and records video via built-in (?) camera and is backwards compatible with legacy MiniDiscs and Hi-MD's.

Theoretically, if Sony did develop this..."Blu-Ray MD" I can only assume wouldn't be anywhere near the storage of a real Blu-Ray disc, which would really defeat the point of it. And this device you speak of, with all of these state-of-the-art features that on top of making a new format, they'd have to develop...I mean, it's a really tall order.

This is a nice dream, and it's neat that you took a little time to dream this up, but that's all it's ever going to be; a dream. I'm honestly not trying to sound like a jerk, but it's just never going to happen.

Edited by The Rule

I had some ideas for the next Sony Mini Disc.

if we take Sony's professional video cameras into consideration (and Panasonic's), the age of solid-state is upon us (love it or hate it). It also allows the things to work in challenging climates with widely varying temps and humidity (and allows for new framerate capabilities, format capabilities, etc). It also makes for (potentially) smaller devices with far less mechanical complexity and unit noise (and cost to manufacture/ service).

There is some merit in having a format for everything, to record anything on and to connect to anything (video recorders, audio recorders, computers, the works). That's one of my dreams, but I think that things will be segmented for some time because of cost and size and capability constraints with each respective format.

I think the spinning disc will be around for some time (particularly for pre-recorded content), but it is really starting to be challenged in several areas for recording. In a few years solid-state will be far more pervasive (and far cheaper).

This is why I don't think Sony would invest in a new MiniDisc-like format. But they may invest in a solid-state format that can do some MD-like codecs.

I saw this with Hi-MD but Blue Ray would be so cool. To have video capability with a MD. Hell, I'd ditch the iPod in a flash. I had dropped a Hard Drive yesterday and lost about 200+movies I had ripped for the ipod. I would have never lost them if I could have them on a disc. I can always get a new player but that data would be safe.

Edited by Hombre

I saw this with Hi-MD but Blue Ray would be so cool. To have video capability with a MD. Hell, I'd ditch the iPod in a flash. I had dropped a Hard Drive yesterday and lost about 200+movies I had ripped for the ipod. I would have never lost them if I could have them on a disc. I can always get a new player but that data would be safe.

At present , with at least 700KB/s (5600kbps) writing speed himd allows very good quality video: SQ quality in mpeg2 (standard quality of dvd video recorder: 2h/dvd or 25min/himd) and High definition in mpeg4 (I have copied a video from "National Geographic HD" on a himd: it plays it without any problem, and the quality is superb!).

Try to put a 2h xvid encoded film on a himd: it will play very well...

Edited by garcou

• 3 weeks later...