A custom remote for HiMD machines?

Rate this topic

superboy

How hard would it be to make a 3rd party custom remote for the HiMD players like the RH1? Personally, I would be ecstatic if the RH1 was the last minidisc machine made, but if better remotes were offered later. I know the 40ELK is the remote to have for the RH1, but there's a lot that can be improved upon. I'm sure this is true for a lot of people, but when I'm using my minidisc machine, I use it through the remote 90% of the time and 10% with the onboard controls. I think a lot of people use it that way. This seems to be one of the great advantages that the minidisc has over ipods and other players still.

Imagine a nice, ergonomic remote controller with a great LCD screen (OLED perhaps?). It would have great resolution, it would remember display settings between sessions, it would be able to access all the options inside the HiMD unit. A really good remote would make the rh1 the perfect instrument, it really would.

I'm sure a lot of us wouldn't hesitate top spend $100 on a great remote. I think Sony should think about it or another company should try it. Is the remote so proprietary that only Sony can do it?

OK, I know most of you are not interested in this thread, but I am (ever since I finally got a beautiful rh1), so chew on this:

Sony already has a couple of devices that would make PERFECT remotes for the RH1. I mean, really, it would be a awesome thing if they did it, and I am almost positive that all of us would pay top dollar for just because it would complement the RH1 perfectly. ANyway, enough of that, check out these OLED devices made by SOny and picture it as a remote for a HiMD unit:

Sony NW-S205:

Sony_NW_S205.gif

Sony E-series flash walkmans:

e_series_sony_1.jpg

handson_sony_eseries_crave.jpg

Can we beg Sony to do this for the RH1? Am I the only one that is getting giddy over this idea? Why should we drool over the 40ELK with all of it's annoying limitations? I mean, it's a fine remote and all, but let's face it...it's 90's technology at best and the only reason to get excited about it is that it's simply the best option available so far.

If this is indeed the last minidisc unit that Sony is going to make (a great one at that) then at least complete the job with a fabulous remote and let us enjoy for decades, despite other technology emerging in the future.

OK, I'm done dreaming.

I hate to rain on your... enthusiasm, but Sony could care less about any MD support period. In fact, even shortly after Hi-MD was introduced just a few years ago it didn't seem like Sony cared much at all what consumers wanted. They continued their usual marketing-with-blinders-on tactics or no marketing at all for that matter.

But more specifically about your remote wishes: I've NEVER liked the 40ELK to begin with for many reasons.

1) too dim backlight

2) left-handed orientation

3) too FAT and short... it would actually be BETTER if it had 2 more inches of length imho

4) hard to navigate & grip side buttons & volume wheel

But I know I am in the minority here because most people seem to love this remote. I love the STICK remotes (MC33EL, MC35EL etc). They seem to fit my hand perfectly, nice and SLIM, and have a pretty BRIGHT backlight. Yes, you lose the ability to scroll through albums and songs while the player is playing so that is certainly the main limitation. But the "play/skip" button is SO easy to find and is one of those quick grab-on-the-run type intuitive designs.

But what you're asking for basicallly becomes something closer to todays flash players... which then seems like a rather silly concept that being a REMOTE for yet another device. I mean, hey, I'm all for it because I love minidisc, but again Sony doesn't care and the general public would never buy into it.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I think people rave about the 40ELK because it's the best of the bunch out there. I agree with you that the 35ELK is better designed, but you need the 40elk for more functions. Either way, both of them are very limited.

That's true, it is a little silly, the remote being as fancy as a standalone flash player, but it's not ridiculous! I mean, if you think about the RH1, it's kind of a weird thing: they put a really cool OLED screen on the unit, however it's so limited in its display, that most users are relying on the remote for most operating procedures. So what's the point of having such a cool screen on the rh1? You might as well put it on the remote! I think it makes perfect sense. I'm staring at the remote 90% of the time anyway.