As of why I haven't left MD.

Rate this topic

Syrius

Hey guys, guess what...

My brother just got an I-pod Nano Video. Fresh from the box. Since his laptop is too old to handle I-Tunes, he asked me to load it with songs from mine. Long story made short, I download the most recent update for it, since I-tunes wouldn't stop nagging about it. Load a single Mp3 on it, hit play... and the fooking thing just died on me. Dead. Bricked. No power, no sound, no nothing.

Say what you will about Sony and Microsoft, but at least their products don't crap out on you fresh out of the box after an update.

Screw Apple. Screw Jobs. Screw I-Tunes. Screw their crappy-made, overpriced piece of crap. Screw their laptops which can't do more than a similarly-priced Windows system. Quality and simplicity? My eye. The devil used an apple to tempt Eve. Coincidence? I don't think so. Apple is the Antichrist, and Jobs is the False Prophet described in Revelation. :P

Now if you excuse me, this thing has got an appointment with the toilet, and I have a meeting with a lovely, sexy Hi-Minidisc unit. (Which, has never ever, ever under any circumstance, needed an update, or even its lens cleaned.)

Okay, seriously. I just can't believe this thing crapped out on me out of the box. Anyone ever had a similar experience?

• 2 weeks later...

Never like that, the iPod that I once had died a slow but predictable death over a few months.

I don't even blame Apple. They know that they can get away with low manufacturing quality as long as their customers keep flocking back for new products.

I will never lay my hands on an iPod. Only CD's, DVD's, MD's, no half-arsed MP3s, just full 320kbps.

50ny 4 3V3R.

Edited by WalkDude

...was there no RETURN policy?? Before rushing to the toilet I'd look for a refund at least.

MD has treated me very well too. With the exception of terrible luck with the DH10P for some reason, my MD players have served me well... and my first WAR UNIT (a very used NH900) still runs strong and proud like a fat car from the 1970s.

With millions of iPods being produced, it's a no brainer that some lemons will be out there. At least iPod support can be obtained locally. If my imported Sony MD unit breaks, it would be much harder to get support. 1 iPod goes bad, suddenly Apple is antichrist? Sony units go bad, it's an exception? :D Not saying Apple is perfect (thank goodness for Costco's return policy :)), but Sony, Microsoft, any big company is the same. Nobody ever say Apple products are 100% reliable. There are users that have bricked PS3s, Red ring of death XBOX360s, overheating Macbooks, etc. I bought an MZ-NE410 from radioshack and it doesn't work (won't even spin the MD) out of the box (blister pack). So by the logic here, then Sony is antichrist too.

1 electronic company that I'm biased as being more reliable is Sharp. My family have TVs from Sharp and Sony, and the Sonys broke sooner while the oldest Sharp only broke after my parents replaced the Sony twice (with newer models). :D

Edited by pata2001
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sparky, we all know you're the person for truth, accuracy and realism, but honestly, is there a need to split hairs here, you know he means the non-easily user-removable build-in Li-Ion battery of iWhatevers...

Actually I didn't know what it meant Hence my question. So I Wikied it and that didn't clarify it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulator

• 2 weeks later...

In 1998, my management, Len Enders of Label Cove Entertainment, got his first MD deck, the MDS-JE510, as part of one of the MD BUNDLE series, which also included an MZ-E40 player. Later on that year, mostly thanks to a Sony MiniDisc TV commercial which aired here in the States back then, I became an MD freak for life when I got my first recorder, the often-heralded MZ-R50.

Since then, I owned at one time or another, the JE510, MZ-E40, F40, R700, G750, N510 (CK), NE410, 2 NH600D's and a coupke of NHF800's, but now I am currently settled and happy with my 2 MZ-NH700 units, as well as 2 RH710's, and an RH1, as well as a a few legacy Walkmans (some of which I am keeping and some I am selling, see my classifieds), and also a JE520, and E10 pro deck, a couple of MDX-C5970 decks and MDX-65 changers (one set for each of my vehicles), and a few Connects 2 boxes for my Hi-MD units, so I already have sworn my allegiance to the ATRAC format and the MD/Hi-MD blank recording media.

After reading all the horror stories about i--- and other MP3-based units bricking out on their owners, I am glad to be a user of The Source, just like Guitarfxr and Bobt are as well, so all of you out there should know this simple three word phrase in order to show your allegiance....

ATRAC or DEATH!!!

Peace Out :victory:,

Ray Jackson

but what about the maker of minidisc, sony itselve ? Isn't sony somehow like apple, too ???

I mean, look at the new PS3.... Faster, bigger, greater.....a must have..... the PS2 -> old coffee, garbage....

even the old games (for me still interesting) should be put into the wastpaper basket. (the affordable version of the ps3 is comming along with no ps2 emulation)

Or maybe sony keeps nature conservation in mind, thus you are forced to keep your old PS2 at home, in order to play your games (Not able to throw the old PS2 into the garbage)) ?? *ironic*

I love Mini-Disk and will keep it as long as possible, but from the inventor, sony itself, the MD has been chosen to be e-waste. No dedicated service, or development anymore !

hopefully, sony will not invent something like an "i-walkman" or a "Walk-pod", only to get more money out of our wallets.

PS: i am still a SonyFreak :)

That was interesting. Recently I read something on all those nice flat screens that have similar issues, as they're supposed to last far less longer than a good old large Trinitron Sony CRT, like 5 years versus 15...

more toxical waste, etc; & more wattage too, as LCD / Plasma sizes are overall larger!

I'm taking good care of my MD units, I hope they'll last long. The blanks themselves I'm not worried about at all :P

I can agree with that, as I still to this day, (after my 2000-inherited 32" Trinitron, built in Mexico circa 1993) crapped out on me earlier this year, continue to use my workhorse of a TV (yes, a CRT!), the venerable KX-2501A I got all the way back in 1985 (that's right folks, 1985!) which was made in Japan, back when Sony made great units (workhorses!) that actually lasted, like the earlier MD Walkmen, like the MZ-R50 and R70/90, which was the last series ever to come out of Japan, before shifting most of their factories mostly to Malaysia, along with China and a few other third-world countries back in 2001.