Sony Hi-MD Deck - due April'08

Rate this topic

dural

Have 'acquired' this info from a source within the industry - reckons it will be released in the Spring, probably April (first Tuesday of the month as per normal Sony release cycles). Follow link for picture.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2286/190395...943aa83ff_b.jpg

This is amazing news, and will certainly give the Onkyo (although still excellent) decks a run for their money. Hopefully there will be a European release before Japan.

Now if only life was that good.....

Have 'acquired' this info from a source within the industry - reckons it will be released in the Spring, probably April (first Tuesday of the month as per normal Sony release cycles). Follow link for picture.

This is amazing news, and will certainly give the Onkyo (although still excellent) decks a run for their money. Hopefully there will be a European release before Japan.

:o !!

This better not be some sick joke... not by you but by whoever leaked this info.

Wow... I can't believe it... they wait until they GIVE UP on the format to release it?? Does this mean we can expect a HiMD CAR IN-DASH by 2010??

Sorry if I cause any discomfort! Got a bit bored at work, so had a bit of a dabble in Photoshop with the 980 (well spotted blueraja) and nice one to hungerdunger for spotting the release date clue. I didn't think it was a bad effort myself!! (You gotta admit, the USB port looks pretty good?)

I don't often contribute here, so I thought I'd stop by and add a bit of laughter. Obviously I too find it VERY frustrating that Sony have never really pushed Hi-MD, so a little dream of mine just fell out onto the screen.

And for my next project, a Hi-MD playing iPod..... (sorry about the swear word by the way).

Will update my signature and kit list in the next few days, so that I have a 'proper' profile - just so you can see I'm about as serious as any MD/Hi-MD/ATRAC fan.

I guess I should read the previous posts before posting my thoughts. Oh well, here's my thoughts anyway.

==================

Isn't it a little early for April Fools jokes? But seriously, why in the world would Sony bring this out in light of them dropping (or seemingly dropping) all new minidisc production? It just seems really strange.

Edited by nathantw666

Such cruelty! sniff, sniff. :cray:

My trusty, rusty old MDS-E10 display is starting to fade. If I do have to switch formats, I hope it makes it long enough to transfer all my most important source mixes to another format.

There must be plenty of MD enthusiasts in Japan. I wonder what they have to say about all of this?

synchro

I guess I should read the previous posts before posting my thoughts. Oh well, here's my thoughts anyway.

==================

Isn't it a little early for April Fools jokes? But seriously, why in the world would Sony bring this out in light of them dropping (or seemingly dropping) all new minidisc production? It just seems really strange.

Such cruelty! sniff, sniff. :cray:

My trusty, rusty old MDS-E10 display is starting to fade. If I do have to switch formats, I hope it makes it long enough to transfer all my most important source mixes to another format.

There must be plenty of MD enthusiasts in Japan. I wonder what they have to say about all of this?

synchro

But what format would you switch to? I personally don't count mp3/iPods etc... as a format - once upon a time we had cassette, DCC, DAT, MiniDisc, and even CD-R. Nowadays, people don't seem to care about a 'physical' object in their hands...and they only realise the vunerability of it when their Hard Drive crashes!!! More fool them.

Quick suggestion though (based on my original posting) - how about a competition here for who can design the best and most convincing Hi-MD player/recorder/deck? Anyone up for that (I won't use my HMDS-JB888, that would be cheating!!!!) ?

Good point, Dural. I would trust an old recorded MD that has been on the shelf for years as long or longer than I would trust a flash memory card these days. That's the format I will probably end up going to in a couple of years. Unless a pro model of a Hi-MD with digital in and out and a keyboard input comes out soon. I doubt that's going to happen. I guess it will come down to not being able to find new MD machines to record onto.

But what format would you switch to? I personally don't count mp3/iPods etc... as a format - once upon a time we had cassette, DCC, DAT, MiniDisc, and even CD-R. Nowadays, people don't seem to care about a 'physical' object in their hands...and they only realise the vunerability of it when their Hard Drive crashes!!! More fool them.

Quick suggestion though (based on my original posting) - how about a competition here for who can design the best and most convincing Hi-MD player/recorder/deck? Anyone up for that (I won't use my HMDS-JB888, that would be cheating!!!!) ?

Good point, Dural. I would trust an old recorded MD that has been on the shelf for years as long or longer than I would trust a flash memory card these days. That's the format I will probably end up going to in a couple of years. Unless a pro model of a Hi-MD with digital in and out and a keyboard input comes out soon. I doubt that's going to happen. I guess it will come down to not being able to find new MD machines to record onto.

You sound in a similar dilemma to me - though I will be stocking up as much as I can afford on MD equipment, and seeing as I'm approach 37 years old myself, they should hopefully last me until I no longer actually require them (i.e. when I die!!).

Don't forget there's all those lovely Onkyo units (above) to choose from still (although you may need a voltage converter, which are easily obtainable and work without fault), and Tascam still do a professional MD deck (MD350), and they've just released a CD-MD combo deck too. The Sony RH1 is still available from many places (Tottenham Court Road, London, had 3 stockists just yesterday). So it's not a lost cause just yet, and I doubt there will be another recordable format to replace it EVER (I don't count CD/DVD).

In saying all of the above, I actually quite like being in the 'underdog' camp, as you feel like you have something special. As for iPods...how come all of a sudden EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD likes the idea of listening to music on the move? The sad thing is, the vast majority of the population will believe that an MP3 via some rubbishy in-ear headphones is the pinnacle of musical enjoyment. Once again....more fool them.

• 2 weeks later...