CNET Blogs from CES

kevinz4444

Interesting how flash memory is now replacing mini-hard drives. The handwriting is on the wall: Hitachi is getting out of the mini hard drive business, and is concentrating on notebook and desktop sizes (2.5” & 3.5” hard drives) Soon ipods will be using flash memory instead of mini hard drives. It makes sense because hard drives have many moving parts and are susceptible to rough handling. This is one of the reasons we love Mini-Discs, they can handle jostling with great aplomb. My question is this: is flash memory going to be the next interchangeable medium of choice? Will us MiniDisc lovers eventually be forced to move to Secure Data media (for example) as MiniDiscs become more scarce? I don’t know but I still love my minidiscs. However if Sony developed an inexpensive secure data recorder, I might be tempted…

Look at this !

A brilliant idea!! Anyone think like me ? Is it possible to make it's own portable player/recorder with this and finally replace the MD/HiMD with plenty functions that minidisc don't have ?

Ouch !

I've discovered the price announced :

* BUGbase - 349$ (299$ the first 60 days)

* LCD Module - 119$ (99$ the first 60 days)

* GPS Module - 99$ (79$ the first 60 days)

* Camera Module - 79$ (69$ the first 60 days)

* Motion capture Module - 59$ (49$ the first 60 days)

It's not cheap to build your own dream machine! So i'll be waiting-to buy one.

Edited by Silly35