Need help with muddy recordings

Rate this topic

Lost

Hi, i've been reading the topics in this forum for ages and they have been really useful. I'm still having a lot of problems with the low frequencies sounding very muddy when recording concerts. The recordings sound fine if I put full treble on them and get rid of the bass but I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I use an NH600 Hi-MD, a microphone madness battery module and this microphone

I'm thinking maybe my microphone can't handle the loud sounds. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It doesn't sound to me as if the mic was overloading too badly. The mic may have been relatively close to the subwoofers and far from the full range loudspeakers, thus the unbalanced sound. Try a spot near the soundboard or wherever it sounds good/balanced to your ears next time.

Aside from placement you could further improve your recordings by using a stereo mic.

Here's what the member "The Low Volta" got in 2005 (same band, same song) using a pair of mics and battery box made by me: http://forums.minidisc.org/index.php?autom...si&img=2974

I experienced similar( not as bad ) results from bad mic placement.As soon as i recorded a show with the mic sraised up/ clipped to my shirt collar,almost like magic...huge improvment.Im not saying mic placement is what has caused your problem,but its a possibility.