Best settings

Rate this topic

Boelie

The bitrate setting has the most influence on quality.

There is a VBR,CBR,ABR setting. If you don't care about file size then set this option to CBR and set the bitrate to 320kbps

There is also a speed/quality option (can't remeber what it's called) that goes from 0 to 9. 0 will take forever to encode a track but is the best quality. 2 is the standard setting, is a lot faster than 0 and does not lose that much quality-wise (very little, in fact)

My settings are 0 (best) for both Encoding quality and VBR quality. It's not all that slow even on my humble spec laptop, and well worth it for obtaining the best quality. I always use Full stereo, VBR between 160 and 320 kbps (256k for my Hi-SP uploads), and Cut start/end silence. The results are superb.

All the rest are the defaults, mainly as I don't know what they do...

... I always use Full stereo, ...

Disabling joint stereo will usually decrease the efficiency of the codec (higher avg. bit rate at equal quality and/or worse quality at equal avg. bit rate) and thus is not recommended by the developers.

Edited by greenmachine

Disabling joint stereo will usually decrease the efficiency of the codec (higher avg. bit rate at equal quality and/or worse quality at equal avg. bit rate) and thus is not recommended by the developers.

Really? Oh, buggery. I was working on the assumption that Full stereo was 'better' than Joint stereo, ie. like LP4, being joint stereo isn't the stereo separation not as good as LP2 (so doubly bad as well becuase of the lower bitrate)?

Anyway, sod it - I'm not converting them (yet) again...

Really? Oh, buggery. I was working on the assumption that Full stereo was 'better' than Joint stereo, ie. like LP4, being joint stereo isn't the stereo separation not as good as LP2 (so doubly bad as well becuase of the lower bitrate)?

Anyway, sod it - I'm not converting them (yet) again...

M/S (mid/side) Joint stereo works without significant loss, whereas LP4 uses some form of lossy channel narrowing (intensity joint stereo, used only for very low bitrates) AFAIK. It's probably not necessary to re-encode as long as you can live with a slightly larger file size. Visit the documentation section of the LAME homepage for technical details.